Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Twin 2.0

I go. A lot. I avoid the tiny parks at peak times or weekends because that is asking for trouble, but on the other hand I am currently siting outside drinking beers at a dog bar. A whole bunch of strange dogs getting a lot quite well and all the owners are relaxed and chill. So far the only "issue" is few people cleaning up after their dog so I'm doing it because daycare instincts. And I appear to have been stood up so I have nothing better to do.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Let it be

I take Bandit some times. He is a target for bullies though so I am quick to leave usually. I will carry on by if it is packed. If there is a small amount of dogs there I will watch them play then let him in if I see none of the dogs are jerks. I leave the second one shows up. He doesn't play rough and is old but LOVES other dogs do I feel like its a good time if I keep it short and sweet.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Silence, peasants.

Wesley looooves the dog park, and ours is nice and all the dogs have to be licensed to go there, and there's only been a few mild problems. Feist can't go because she's intact, and I wouldn't bring her to it because she wouldn't like it anyway. But yeah? Depends on the dog park to me.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

We have some in BR, but no way in hell I'd ever go, even if I didn't own APBTs.

All of them are adjacent to parks for human kiddos. Lots of kids playing, lots of strange dogs, lots of stimuli.....it's a recipe for disaster. And there have been instances where a dp dog got loose and terrorized children.

Several times when I had my boys at the park, I observed the following at the dog park:
-owners eating McDonald's and who knows what else
-owners thoroughly engrossed in a book
-owners busy on their phones/tablets
-owners doing homework (the college ones)
-owners bringing their dog's most favorite toy (& struggling to keep it just for his dog)
-owners with children in the park, too
-owners chatting in circles

There was soooo much wrong that I struggled to find anything right. Just a disaster.

And then, of course, is the fact that there's no one in charge, so you're on the honor system as to whether your dog is fully fascinated and free of worms/intestinal parasites. And people bring unaltered dogs, including bitches in heat. And you have GSDs and Yorkies and Great Danes and Chihuahuas and American Bulldogs and JRTs...you get the hint...all playing together.

There just no amount of money to get me to turn my dog loose in a small fenced in space full of dogs and their irresponsible owners.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
you're on the honor system as to whether your dog is fully fascinated
My dogs are always fully fascinated, especially if there is McDonald's around.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Oh kids, kids are my biggest complaint at a dog park, people who bring kids in those squeaking shoes or with sleds suck.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBark View Post

I agree that there are some situations where it's better for humans to intervene. But I don't agree that there is never a situation where letting them work it out is better. A well timed correction by a level-headed dog is worth a hundred corrections by the owner.
Sure, my own dogs working some things out amoungst themselves, but never ever a strangers dog and my own working something out. How could I possibly know if the other dog is 'level headed'. And how could I possibly know if the dog that is being rude and inappropriate will respect a 'level headed' correction from one of my own dogs?

I can agree that a dog park could be the best thing ever in a perfect world, and I am envious of those who have a great park, but in my world too many morons bringing in dogs that are not suited for a dog park.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Got Floof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgirl View Post
Sure, my own dogs working some things out amoungst themselves, but never ever a strangers dog and my own working something out. How could I possibly know if the other dog is 'level headed'. And how could I possibly know if the dog that is being rude and inappropriate will respect a 'level headed' correction from one of my own dogs?

I can agree that a dog park could be the best thing ever in a perfect world, and I am envious of those who have a great park, but in my world too many morons bringing in dogs that are not suited for a dog park.
Well yeah, I wasn't suggesting letting strange dogs correct your dog. I go to the dog park often enough that I know the regulars fairly well.

And the people talking about just going hiking need to re-read Fran's post lol. Those of us that live in the cities (San Francisco bay here!) Can't do something like that easily.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
My dogs are always fully fascinated, especially if there is McDonald's around.
Ok. Best autocorrect of the day!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Someone had a dog with a shock collar on at the dog park today....

There were a ton of people due to the great weather and it being Sunday. I try to go on less busy times.