Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Just checked my parish's AC prices.....

Adoption Fees:
-dogs over 40 lbs - $80
-dogs under 40 lbs - $100
-cats - $70
-kittens - $90

They will also run specials here and there.

ETA:

Just checked out pricing on an animal shelter in the parish next to me. The adoption fee, for dogs and cats, is $40.

Those fees all include spay/neuter, vaccinations, fecal check, heartworm check, and a script for heartworm prevention.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Now I see why bybs and their $150-300 dogs reign supreme.
Well, in my area and I imagine the other areas with pricey shelters, run of the mill black mutt puppies from a rural areas 1 hour + from the city are still often like... $400-$500.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

In my area common breeds like ACDs, labs, border collies - you can find purebred pups that are selling for $200-$250. Before I got Fable I came across gorgeous Aussie pups for $300 and almost wished I had no knowledge of breeding ethics. :/ Aussie want!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Puppy Dog

The shelter I work for charges $300 for adult dogs and $500 for puppies. But we do a lot for them and we continue to be a support system for people after they have adopted from us. These prices are also pretty reasonable for the area we're in and we will sometimes work with people on the price as well. Especially with senior dogs or dogs with health issues.

We are an open admission shelter who doesn't import at all, although more and more dogs surrendered to us are originally southern import dogs (most with fear issues :/). We don't see puppies in often and when we do we get TONS of applications from people.

Cats are $150 for adults, $200 for kittens, and $50 for seniors. We also have fee waived adoption events for adult cats 2x a year which are crazy and fun and by the end of it we usually have almost no cats left in the building
Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Higbread Dingbat

The prices for the 2 shelters closest to me:
Adopt a dog $ 95.00
Adopt a cat $ 130.00

Odd that cats are more expensive O.o

The other is:
Dog $230.00 (HST not included)
Cat $150.00 (HST not included)

Rigby was $250 from a shelter an hour or so away.

However, all of these shelters ensure the dog is fully vetted/vaccinated before leaving, spayed/neutered, microchipped, and 6 weeks of pet insurance.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

All ESRA dogs are $300 which includes any necessary vet work (we do dentals, cruciates, eye surgeries, FHO... literally whatever the dog needs), vaccines, spay/neuter, and heartworm testing.

Knowing how much they put into Gabby (and that is with the discounts we get from specific veterinarians), I was very much okay with paying $300 for her.

We do have a springers for seniors program where the dogs are placed free of charge with a senior citizen as long as the owner can provide necessary veterinary care.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Puppies 2-6 months = $360
Dogs 7 months to 7 years = $250
Dogs 8 years and up = $125

Kittens 0-6 months = $105
Kittens 7-12 months = $75
Cats 2-7 years = $35
Cats 8 years and older, or those that have been there longer than 3 weeks are fee waived

Transfer kittens 2-6 months = $130
Transfer kittens 7-12 months = $105
Transfer cats are $75
Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
On the other hand I can see how it's a problem if people go to a BYB instead of a shelter because a BYB is cheaper (and sometimes easier). But I don't know, should shelters really be thinking about out competing BYBs?
Except that the cost of a puppy from a BYBs doesn't include spay/neuter (for better or for worse), microchip, ID tags, etc. and may not even include any vaccines (depending on the age of the puppies). However, all of those things are included in the adoption price of a puppy/dog at most rescues, plus more, depending on the agency. It really comes down to whether people understand the costs associated with getting a puppy.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Let it be

Dogs here are over 300 as well I do believe. Canada seems to have higher adoption fees.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Resident fainting goat

Local SPCA
Dog (7 months and older): $300
Puppy (under 7 months): $500

inclues...
Adoption Counseling & Take Home Care Inf
Spay/Neuter and Rabies Vaccine
DHLPP Vaccine
Bordetella Vaccination (Kennel Cough)
Initial General Deworming
Heartworm Test
Microchip & Registration
Identification Tag
Flea & Tick Treatment or Preventive
Initial treatment for Ear Mites as Needed

Local rescue..
Our adoption fee* is $450 for dogs 3 years old or younger and $400 for dogs 4 years old and older.
The adoption fee covers vaccinations (Rabies, Bordatella, DAPP), de-worming, vetting, transport and, per MA and NH law, 48 hours of quarantine after transport. Dogs that are old enough at the time of transport will also be spayed or neutered.

There really isn't much of a homeless pet problem up here (The SPCA is kind of empty actually..like 12 dogs or something) so they do pretty well with their fees the way that they are.

BYBs aren't that popular, other than for small breeds/doodles where it's going to cost you $1000+ anyway

The only issue I really see A LOT is the infamous "good online breeder"....tiny yorkies/maltese/doodles from far off places paid into the thousands that end up, at best, shedding huge dogs and at worst, very sick.