Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
His off switch is awesome

I haven't been able to get him outside to let burn off his energy with fetch for a few days now, but he's content enough to chew antlers and cuddle with me.

He knows when to mellow out when I need him to and when he be OMG HYPER PUPPEH!!>!>! But as far a him maturing into one, he came with. Most Labs I've been around have them, you just gotta work their minds a little bit or even take the edge off with 15-40 minutes of fetch and good to go.

But also keep in mind Outlaw is a field bred Lab and this is not the "norm" for them, I went to a hunting breeder because I wanted a certain look and energy level and got what I wanted. A bench bred Lab will have the right amount of energy, but has a better off switch
That's great! I love Outlaw. And I can't believe he's only 4 months! Big boy, lol.
I'm laughing at myself using Millie as an example being a herding mix vs. a lab. Her other part is lab. But in temperament is much more BC.
Anyway, yeah, I think a lab could be really good for you, Paige.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
How do you find his energy as in like herding dogs tend to be really serious versus I have always found labs more... scattered? Is that just because I have met horribly behaved ones? I've adored lots of labs but they do have a different vibe going on.
I've only ever owned one "herding" type dog (generic farm scotch collie/Aussie mix), so take this with a grain of salt, but although I've found her energy level to be very similar to my retrievers, she did have a different "type" of energy.

When Chloe was a puppy, she was active with a purpose. There were plenty of times she'd get the crazies and just run around like a demon dog, but typically her energy was directed at SOMETHING. She also didn't eat everything in sight, chew, or destroy toys. Oh, how I miss being able to have non-heavy duty dog toys. I don't miss the nipping. I'll take being mouthed over being nipped any day.

The retrievers were just energetic about life. LOL More "bouncy". I don't really know how to describe it. There is a different vibe. But it's a good vibe!

I've also never had an issue with any of my dogs and off switches. But I also don't consider Abrams running around the apartment playing with toys a bad thing, either. He doesn't just sit and do nothing like Cynder does all day, but he's not bad. (Unless you aren't used to it, I suppose. I had some guests over about two weeks ago and they were like, "WILL HE EVER STOP MOVING?!?!?!" I was like, "Meh, he's being good." LOL) But he also gets literally NO structured exercise due to my work schedule and the weather. When he's exercised, he's golden.

Or, if herding dogs still have your heart, maybe look into English Shepherds?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I've only ever owned one "herding" type dog (generic farm scotch collie/Aussie mix), so take this with a grain of salt, but although I've found her energy level to be very similar to my retrievers, she did have a different "type" of energy.

When Chloe was a puppy, she was active with a purpose. There were plenty of times she'd get the crazies and just run around like a demon dog, but typically her energy was directed at SOMETHING. She also didn't eat everything in sight, chew, or destroy toys. Oh, how I miss being able to have non-heavy duty dog toys. I don't miss the nipping. I'll take being mouthed over being nipped any day.

The retrievers were just energetic about life. LOL More "bouncy". I don't really know how to describe it. There is a different vibe. But it's a good vibe!

I've also never had an issue with any of my dogs and off switches. But I also don't consider Abrams running around the apartment playing with toys a bad thing, either. He doesn't just sit and do nothing like Cynder does all day, but he's not bad. (Unless you aren't used to it, I suppose. I had some guests over about two weeks ago and they were like, "WILL HE EVER STOP MOVING?!?!?!" I was like, "Meh, he's being good." LOL) But he also gets literally NO structured exercise due to my work schedule and the weather. When he's exercised, he's golden.

Or, if herding dogs still have your heart, maybe look into English Shepherds?
I love my ES, but they might have more coat that you want to deal with. What about a sporting breed? a larger pointer?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

I've met a few retired greyhounds that would perfectly fit your bill... quiet, no coat, active when you want to be but otherwise couch hounds, great with kids,right size

No crop/dock, not prick eared or herding and they aren't all that "manly" but otherwise, may want to check them out they are awesome dogs!

I for one really enjoy that they wear pajamas lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I love my ES, but they might have more coat that you want to deal with. What about a sporting breed? a larger pointer?
Do English Shepherds really have that much coat? I thought they had more of a....I don't know....feathery type coat versus a thick, double coat. More like a heavily coated Border Collie versus a Rough Collie? A neighbor of my parents have two and they definitely don't have as much coat as a Sheltie or Collie.

Last edited by *blackrose; 02-11-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Do English Shepherds really have that much coat? I thought they had more of a....I don't know....feathery type coat versus a thick, double coat. More like a heavily coated Border Collie versus a Rough Collie? A neighbor of my parents have two and they definitely don't have as much coat as a Sheltie or Collie.
So, the answer is "it depends"

Ignoring the fact that Archie is an 80 lb BEAST and is trying to pick Hudson up by his collar - he is pretty heavily coated.

Keep in mind, he is soaking wet in this picture

I think Shep also has a decent amount of coat on him.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Taxiderpy

A smooth collie fits all of your criteria, and a lot of them do end up with prick ears if you don't tape them.

They're totally up for anything, well bred ones that are socialized and everything are super stable and good with everybody. They have energy but can also chill out for long periods of time when needed. It's definitely focused herder energy, but at the same time they're not nearly as obsessive as other herding dogs.

I love herding dogs, but won't own most breeds because the way they fixate on things and obsess really gets on my nerves. I don't really see that in rough and smooth collies unless they're *extremely* bored.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Big Dog

you can get a rhodesian ridgeback for a change .....very athletic and protective of family members and pets.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I will be the odd man out and suggest looking into a Boerboel since your BF suggested he wanted a more manly looking dog.

First thing. A lot of breeders crop the tails, BUT more and more breeders are leaving their tails natural. Panzer's sire's breeder leaves the tails on all her puppies.

Off switch, we got it. During the week Pan does not get outside exercise other than playing in the yard and in the house and when its relax time he settles very nicely. Main reason because its dark by the time we both get home from work. Now, during the weekend we are out an about a lot and he gets lots of adventure time. Panzer will become and avid hiker this summer. They are a working breed and most breeders are keeping that work ethic going so a Boerboel should be able to go all day.

Now, I would not call Boerboels outright DA. They are more SSA, but there are a lot of breeders that have lots of dogs living in tight family groups with no problem. And to set yourself up for success, just get a female. I also found with Pan is he does not like crazy, does not settle, jump on everyone lab or golden energy he just does not have the patients for it and he does not like that kind of energy around his people. So a BB does not make a good dog park candidate.

When it comes to family pets a Boerboel should accept it as part of its family. I see no issue with a Boerboel living with a cat. Now, when it comes to kids BB's are pretty tolerant. I know Panzer is. He loves kids, but he does not like being jumped on or bothered if he wants to be left along. He will move. He is not a dog a kid can do anything and everything to. These dogs demand being respected, but I don't fear that Pan is going to bite a child He just leaves the situation, but he sure loves playing with them and kissing their dirty faces. And he is very, very gentle when playing with kids.

These kids are also not his kids. I feel like he would be a total different dog with his own kids. These dogs are fiercely loyal and in tune with their people.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Let it be

I never thought about a greyhound. I like sighthounds but I have never thought to live with one. I don't know how I would feel about their general warning of no off leash time. Is that a hard and fast rule or is that something that can be worked with?

I don't think I would do an English Shepard based on the coat. Too similar to a BC. Bandit is more heavily coated than most BCs but even less so if I was going to get a dog with that coat type I'd get another BC.

I don't even think I have ever heard of a Boerboel. I am going to check them out. I know David would prefer a more macho looking dog but it is very low on the priority list. Considering I am the dog person/logical thinker it makes more sense to find a good fit versus something he just finds pleasing on the eye. The decription though does sound like it could be a nice fit.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have some research to do. It is hard to even know what you like when you are pretty limited to most of your dog owning experience being with very similar type of dogs.