Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 PM
The Monster.

I think entering your dog in a beauty competition opens it up for critiques on its beauty. When that beauty competition is supposed to reflect is essence as a breed and is a modern reflection of its working roots, it opens up the door for commenting on that as well. It's a fine line and most people are more interested in tearing someone down than building it up.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I am not going to post specific pictures because the Finkie world is VERY small and everyone would be able to easily figure out who I am on here because of my dogs LOL.

I will say that there are trends popping up in my breed that I am not a fan of (I alluded to them in the "Is your dog typey?" thread):
-Lots of white on the chest ("White markings on the tips of the toes and a quarter-sized spot or narrow white strip, ideally no wider than inch, on the forechest are permitted.")
-Short and curly tails ("Set on just below level of topline, forming a single curl falling over the loin with tip pointing towards the thigh. Plumed, curving vigorously from its base in an arch forward, downward, and backward, pressing flat against either thigh with tip extending to middle part of thigh. When straightened, the tip of the tailbone reaches the hock joint.")
-Round eyes ("Almond-shaped with black rims. Obliquely set with moderate spacing between, neither too far apart nor too close. Outer corners tilted upward. Dark in color with a keen and alert expression.").
-Dogs being groomed to look almost Shiba-like/obviously trimmed ("No trimming of the coat except for feet is allowed. Whiskers shall not be trimmed. Any trimming of coat shall be severely faulted.")

There are more, but they are not as widespread and are on a "top-winning dog-by-dog" basis.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
That Welshie is trimmed like an ESS.
I'd say a US ESS... I've noticed the us ones look like proper show poofy and groomed. The UK standard asks for moderate feathering, and you will see the dogs in the ring look far more natural.

For example...

Vs

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm All Ears

I think in most countries springers tend to look more like the bottom photos.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'd say a US ESS... I've noticed the us ones look like proper show poofy and groomed. The UK standard asks for moderate feathering, and you will see the dogs in the ring look far more natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I think in most countries springers tend to look more like the bottom photos.
I much prefer the international style English springers, even over field line dogs I've seen here (which are sometimes tall and weedy, with almost no coat). I love that they have varied patterns too. The US ESS have such a consistent blanket pattern that they all look the same to me (even in person, watching them show, they are very hard to tell apart).

That's also one of the reasons I don't like that Welshie being trimmed like an ESS, because I'm not crazy about style in general. My Welsh is groomed pretty much like those British dogs, except with shorter ear feathers.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-13-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm All Ears

Do welshies grow long ear feathers if you don't cut them?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Do welshies grow long ear feathers if you don't cut them?
Yep. The standard says "light feathering" and says you should be able to see the ear shape, so people trim up the fur to edge of the ear leather and take some feathering off (more or less depending on the person). The top 1/3 of the ear is shaved short. Some pet people let it go and it can look like this:

or this:

I definitely prefer them short because I don't like ears getting into stuff while they're eating or sniffing. When Watson was a baby and his ears were too big for his face, they fell into his food and water bowls and it was gross. I like to leave some hair though, and I don't like the totally shaved down look that some people do because it makes him look too grown up and serious.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12

Last edited by Elrohwen; 02-13-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I'm just getting started in the ACD confo world. There's a few things I don't like.

#1: There is beginning to be a split in the breed much like Bench Labs. Dogs are being bred to be much bulkier, which is not strengthening their ability to work cows.
#2: LACK OF ANGULATION. I say it a million times because it's an issue that needs help.
#3: Working ability? Yeahno. Some of these dogs are just sooo dull.

This is the BOB from Westminster this year (from their website):

He's longer than I like to see, he's very straight through the rear. Just meh. I'm not impressed by him.

This is Brick. He's been to Westminster several times. I like him a lot more.

He's not my favorite dog by any means. I'm not a huge fan of his face, but he's put together a lot better IMO.

These are dogs I like a lot more that I feel represent what the breed should be moving towards. (AGAIN, NOT A CONFO EXPERT)

This guy is a little longer than my liking and is built a little too uphill, but he's got nice angles.

I can't find a good photo of the other girl I like. Anywho, take it for what it's worth.

With the ESS, I much prefer to see the international dogs. Less coat is much more practical in the field. Like many others, I'm for moderation and practicality as well as temperament.

I also do believe in breeding to the breed standard, NOT necessarily what's "in". Just because a certain type or structural feature (such as straightness in Mal's) is winning doesn't mean it is to standard or is the best fit for what the dog is supposed to do.

/novel.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

I've probably said this before but standards are ranges and that's what should be bred for. Even within that range, their should be some exceptions in size or color I think if there are quality working characteristics behind that particular dog. Otherwise, if they're in the range, they're good to go. Everything else should be based on performance.

I didn't watch Westminster, but honestly were these the labs they put up as Best in breed????

http://slimdoggy.com/no-wonder-a-lab...t-westminster/

anyway, I don't much care what people say about my dogs. I don't know how to standard they are. I know they look like German Shepherds, that's good enough for me as far as looks go.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I've probably said this before but standards are ranges and that's what should be bred for. Even within that range, their should be some exceptions in size or color I think if there are quality working characteristics behind that particular dog. Otherwise, if they're in the range, they're good to go. Everything else should be based on performance.

I didn't watch Westminster, but honestly were these the labs they put up as Best in breed????

http://slimdoggy.com/no-wonder-a-lab...t-westminster/

anyway, I don't much care what people say about my dogs. I don't know how to standard they are. I know they look like German Shepherds, that's good enough for me as far as looks go.

That's actually disgusting to me, those dogs are OBESE. And tiny. Well, obviously not tiny. Short!!!!

How owners look at them and feel proud is beyond my comprehension!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein