Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Is your dog typey?
No 7 14.58%
Yes 24 50.00%
Maybe 13 27.08%
Other 2 4.17%
grilled cheese & tomato soup 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
This! I've always loved Jasper's looks. Sally was from a farm and her parents were used on cattle, so she obviously looked nothing like a confo Collie. I always loved her looks though, she just appeared softer and more natural to me. I wanted another Collie really badly for a while, but had such a hard time finding a breeder that produced the kid of dog that I was looking for. So many look 'overdone,' as someone else pointed out earlier.
Imo you almost have to go farm collie or english shepherd.

We had a collie as a kid but I'm not really sure if they meant collie collie or border collie or mix? He was smooth coated though, whatever he was.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Our 'collie' J.R.

No idea. They just called him a collie. I don't remember him well.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Imo you almost have to go farm collie or english shepherd.

We had a collie as a kid but I'm not really sure if they meant collie collie or border collie or mix? He was smooth coated though, whatever he was.
That's how it seems. Which is really too bad, because I'd love another natural-looking, drivey Collie but from health-tested stock. It seems almost impossible to find.

Sally (she was older here).

She was just perfect. Ugh, getting all emotional again.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Our 'collie' J.R.

No idea. They just called him a collie. I don't remember him well.
My guess is farm collie. Chloe's dad was a "collie" and he was pretty much a farm collie, too. And when my Grandpa saw Chloe as a pup, he said, "Those Collies make the best dogs. We had some when I was growing up." And he meant farm collie.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Blonde Raccoon

When we got Sally her breeder called them 'Scotch Collies' and they were actually used on the farm.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva: Depends. She has all the basic hallmarks of the Cardigan breed. I love her head, it's a little delicate and snippy but her expression is both sweet and keen. Love how big and ROUND her ears are, and very wide-set - all typical Cardigan traits. She the egg shaped chest, prominent sternum, and turned out front that are all pretty classic. Her tail... kind of sucks, according the breed standard. It's too short (just born that way, not bobbed but an inch or two shorter than desirable) and depending on where she is in her heat cycles can lack the "fox brush" appearance when her coat gets thin.

She's also too lean and leggy if you're asking the show crowd but IDGAF about that. There's a rise to her loin as well but I think that makes her back flexible and lengthens her stride. She's a peanut too but within the standard at 10.5" tall and 25 lbs. At "show weight" she'd be 27-29 lbs probably.

Oh and her extra dark mask, while totally allowed and well within the standard, is unusual and can throw people off. I love it though, it gives her that foxy, wicked look and suits her SO well.

Her temperament is all Corgi bitch, no doubt there.

Blossom: Fairly so for working lines, esp considering the not-quite purebred KNPV side. Her proportions are quite correct (square) and her overall build is generally Belgian. She also has nice angles, a VERY nice/powerful rear, and a straighter but quite functional front. Nice long neck, and feminine looking. Her movement is efficient and super typical of the Belgian Shepherd family- she could trot all day and never be out of breath.

Her "mahogany" color isn't common per say but certainly happens, and of course she has the requisite black mask in addition to her overlay. Her head is coarse, even for working lines IMO, with stronger stop than most Malinois have. But she has nice, dark, almond-shaped eyes and that big Belgian grin (wedge shaped muzzle with a BIG mouth) which are honestly some of my fav traits of the breed appearance wise.

I notice she has a bit more bone than many other working line Mals and distinctly heavier legs and feet. Oh and a longer tail, LOL. I have to suspect that's the GSD talking. Her whole KNPV side is technically "X Mechelse Herder" which means a mostly Malinois cross. She also doesn't bark like any Belgian, working or show bred, I've EVER heard lol. She's well within the standard for a bitch at 53 lbs and ~23-24" at the shoulder.

Temperament, yep, she's all Mal, enough said. LOL. Very typical.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I think so! I mean, is he a perfect specimen, no, but I think he's pretty certainly a purebred GSD. I had one guy very skeptical of his lineage because he didn't have enough black in the mouth, and one other person asked me if he was purebred, but I think they have the problem, not Romey

Last edited by Xandra; 02-10-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

Not really lol.

He's longer than he is tall, he's got big ears, he's got a tail, he weighs over double the size. And doesn't really fit the breed description much either.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Not really lol.

He's longer than he is tall, he's got big ears, he's got a tail, he weighs over double the size. And doesn't really fit the breed description much either.
I wish there was a Jackson breed. I think he's perfect <3 Nothing against show-bred Yorkies, but I by far prefer his type, even if the two aren't really comparable.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 02-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Let it be

Not at all he is commonly mistaken for a Bernese Mountain dog puppy. Bandit is really large. I started a thread probably last yearish about your dog's size and everyone was really shocked how huge B is.

See