Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Is your dog typey?
No 7 14.58%
Yes 24 50.00%
Maybe 13 27.08%
Other 2 4.17%
grilled cheese & tomato soup 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Yes, Mira is very typey, both in the sense that anyone who knows what Flatcoats are knows she is one, and in that she is a good example of her breed and adheres to the breed standard. Her owner (cough) has so far prioritized other things like field titles over putting her in the show ring, but then I personally consider field to be more important to FCRs than aesthetics, beyond structural integrity and athleticism.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I <3 Jasper. Some collies are just *way* overdone IMHO. I love how Jasper looks like he could have popped out of a 50s movie.
I also prefer old school GSDs.
It's that way for a lot of breeds, really. Why do some of my favorite looking dogs have to come from crappy breeders?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
& the Muttly Crew

As a funny aside, on the mix breed front... back when Kim was our only dog, hubby and I were watching Westminster and he asked how they picked a winner so I explained about how "conformation" is conforming to breed standard, etc. He digested this, then looked at Kim and asked if she had good conformation to her breed standard... I told him she was the best example of a Golden Ditzhund in all the world, but that she was also the only contender for the title Poor guy was embarrassed, but I thought it was cute.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Twin 2

Elegy, Steve is petty much the dog that comes to mind to me when I think of Sport Bred Border Collies.

Koolies don't really have a standard and have such a variety it's hard to have a type. It's more breeders have type.

To me, Traveler though, for as much as the breed doesn't have a uniform look, is a very Koolie looking dog. I think his overall look is very typey as far as Toolalla dogs look and I just think he tends to fit what I picture when I picture the breed.

But, that could be because he's the first of the breed I met and have.

I don't think Didgie ISN'T typey so much as she just isn't as much as Traveler? Maybe? I don't know, this is too hard when you don't have a standard

I think that both of them are identifiable as a Koolie if you know what Koolies are.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
I do too! Jasper reminds me a lot of our old collie, Danny, type-wise...he was a rescue and almost certainly a BYB dog, but I still prefer that kind of look to most conformation-bred collies.
This! I've always loved Jasper's looks. Sally was from a farm and her parents were used on cattle, so she obviously looked nothing like a confo Collie. I always loved her looks though, she just appeared softer and more natural to me. I wanted another Collie really badly for a while, but had such a hard time finding a breeder that produced the kid of dog that I was looking for. So many look 'overdone,' as someone else pointed out earlier.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Count me in the group that LOVES Jasper and wants to steal Onyx. Her structure and color and type is stunning.

Also, Traveler is exactly everything I love about Koolies and I love his build just in general. He is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
She doesn't have a super extreme head, and her ear set is a little weird.

I agree, though; she's perfect. ;]

I think Trent is very typey; he looks like a GSD and nothing else.
As a proud owner of a dog with weird ears and ear set, I never noticed that about Elsie. So you shush

And thanks! I do like his look and the fact that most people have no real complaints about his structure/build. That said, it also makes it just THAT much more confusing for me when people ask me if he's a Siberian Husky. Just...okay... I used to get "Lab mix" when he was a puppy, which I sort of understood because he was so dark, but in the last couple of years I've never heard that. 98% of the population recognize him as a GSD, 2% think that he's a Siberian Husky.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
And thanks! I do like his look and the fact that most people have no real complaints about his structure/build. That said, it also makes it just THAT much more confusing for me when people ask me if he's a Siberian Husky. Just...okay... I used to get "Lab mix" when he was a puppy, which I sort of understood because he was so dark, but in the last couple of years I've never heard that. 98% of the population recognize him as a GSD, 2% think that he's a Siberian Husky.
Don't feel bad. People think Cricket is a Dalmatian.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

It cracks me up that people think Trent looks like a Sibe, lol! He couldn't look more like a handsome hunk of GSD if he tried.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
Don't feel bad. People think Cricket is a Dalmatian.
LOLWUT. Now THAT is a stretch, because there are quite a few differences between her and a Dal? Just kind of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
It cracks me up that people think Trent looks like a Sibe, lol! He couldn't look more like a handsome hunk of GSD if he tried.
Haha yeah, it's always a weird day when someone says that. But thanks!! There are luckily many breeders out there that produce a look I like, and several of those breeders are people I'd love to have a dog from. I am pretty picky about what I like structure-wise, so this is one of those times where the popularity of the breed works to my advantage and I can afford to be picky.

I like both of Trent's parents, but for different reasons and I am surprised that they went together as well as they did. All of the litters they've had together seem to be pretty consistently nice as far as build/conformation to breed standard!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
This! I've always loved Jasper's looks. Sally was from a farm and her parents were used on cattle, so she obviously looked nothing like a confo Collie. I always loved her looks though, she just appeared softer and more natural to me. I wanted another Collie really badly for a while, but had such a hard time finding a breeder that produced the kid of dog that I was looking for. So many look 'overdone,' as someone else pointed out earlier.
Quote:
I <3 Jasper. Some collies are just *way* overdone IMHO. I love how Jasper looks like he could have popped out of a 50s movie.
I also prefer old school GSDs.
It's that way for a lot of breeds, really. Why do some of my favorite looking dogs have to come from crappy breeders?
Quote:
I do too! Jasper reminds me a lot of our old collie, Danny, type-wise...he was a rescue and almost certainly a BYB dog, but I still prefer that kind of look to most conformation-bred collies.
Totally! Jasper definitely came from a BYB, too. But I also prefer his look over the overdone conformation Collies. I've had quite a few people ask where to get one like him, but I can't really answer. I wish there were some good, responsible breeders that bred dogs with more of his type.

Danny is so pretty!