Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • grilled cheese & tomato soup

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This! I've always loved Jasper's looks. Sally was from a farm and her parents were used on cattle, so she obviously looked nothing like a confo Collie. I always loved her looks though, she just appeared softer and more natural to me. I wanted another Collie really badly for a while, but had such a hard time finding a breeder that produced the kid of dog that I was looking for. So many look 'overdone,' as someone else pointed out earlier.
Imo you almost have to go farm collie or english shepherd.

We had a collie as a kid but I'm not really sure if they meant collie collie or border collie or mix? He was smooth coated though, whatever he was.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Imo you almost have to go farm collie or english shepherd.

We had a collie as a kid but I'm not really sure if they meant collie collie or border collie or mix? He was smooth coated though, whatever he was.
That's how it seems. Which is really too bad, because I'd love another natural-looking, drivey Collie but from health-tested stock. It seems almost impossible to find.

Sally (she was older here).

She was just perfect. Ugh, getting all emotional again.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Our 'collie' J.R.

No idea. They just called him a collie. I don't remember him well.
My guess is farm collie. Chloe's dad was a "collie" and he was pretty much a farm collie, too. And when my Grandpa saw Chloe as a pup, he said, "Those Collies make the best dogs. We had some when I was growing up." And he meant farm collie.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Keeva: Depends. She has all the basic hallmarks of the Cardigan breed. I love her head, it's a little delicate and snippy but her expression is both sweet and keen. Love how big and ROUND her ears are, and very wide-set - all typical Cardigan traits. She the egg shaped chest, prominent sternum, and turned out front that are all pretty classic. Her tail... kind of sucks, according the breed standard. It's too short (just born that way, not bobbed but an inch or two shorter than desirable) and depending on where she is in her heat cycles can lack the "fox brush" appearance when her coat gets thin.

She's also too lean and leggy if you're asking the show crowd but IDGAF about that. There's a rise to her loin as well but I think that makes her back flexible and lengthens her stride. She's a peanut too but within the standard at 10.5" tall and 25 lbs. At "show weight" she'd be 27-29 lbs probably.

Oh and her extra dark mask, while totally allowed and well within the standard, is unusual and can throw people off. I love it though, it gives her that foxy, wicked look and suits her SO well.

Her temperament is all Corgi bitch, no doubt there.

Blossom: Fairly so for working lines, esp considering the not-quite purebred KNPV side. Her proportions are quite correct (square) and her overall build is generally Belgian. She also has nice angles, a VERY nice/powerful rear, and a straighter but quite functional front. Nice long neck, and feminine looking. Her movement is efficient and super typical of the Belgian Shepherd family- she could trot all day and never be out of breath.

Her "mahogany" color isn't common per say but certainly happens, and of course she has the requisite black mask in addition to her overlay. Her head is coarse, even for working lines IMO, with stronger stop than most Malinois have. But she has nice, dark, almond-shaped eyes and that big Belgian grin (wedge shaped muzzle with a BIG mouth) which are honestly some of my fav traits of the breed appearance wise.

I notice she has a bit more bone than many other working line Mals and distinctly heavier legs and feet. Oh and a longer tail, LOL. I have to suspect that's the GSD talking. Her whole KNPV side is technically "X Mechelse Herder" which means a mostly Malinois cross. She also doesn't bark like any Belgian, working or show bred, I've EVER heard lol. She's well within the standard for a bitch at 53 lbs and ~23-24" at the shoulder.

Temperament, yep, she's all Mal, enough said. LOL. Very typical.

Xandra

I think so! I mean, is he a perfect specimen, no, but I think he's pretty certainly a purebred GSD. I had one guy very skeptical of his lineage because he didn't have enough black in the mouth, and one other person asked me if he was purebred, but I think they have the problem, not Romey :cool:

Last edited:

JacksonsMom

Not really lol.

He's longer than he is tall, he's got big ears, he's got a tail, he weighs over double the size. And doesn't really fit the breed description much either.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Not really lol.

He's longer than he is tall, he's got big ears, he's got a tail, he weighs over double the size. And doesn't really fit the breed description much either.
I wish there was a Jackson breed. I think he's perfect <3 Nothing against show-bred Yorkies, but I by far prefer his type, even if the two aren't really comparable.

Paige

Let it be
Not at all he is commonly mistaken for a Bernese Mountain dog puppy. Bandit is really large. I started a thread probably last yearish about your dog's size and everyone was really shocked how huge B is.

See

JacksonsMom

I wish there was a Jackson breed. I think he's perfect <3 Nothing against show-bred Yorkies, but I by far prefer his type, even if the two aren't really comparable.
I wish! Well there are a lot of shelter yorkies very similar to him, it seems in looks and personality, so a shelter dog is probably the best bet to get one like him haha :)

When we got Sally her breeder called them 'Scotch Collies' and they were actually used on the farm.
I would definitely look at Scotch Collies.

There are a few different written standards for English Shepherds, but most breeders breed for the skills, temperament, etc that they like, so it's hard to say if he is 'type' or not. That said, many ES's are 50+ lbs with a decent amount of coat. Hudson is 35 lbs with minimal coat - but he is still young so he might grow more.

For his breeder's lines, he is very small. She tends to produce 60 lbs + dogs and likes her males over 70 lbs. When you look at the larger picture of his bloodlines (Wilson lines), have a smaller dog is not that uncommon.

When we're out and about, we get Border Collie a lot, which I understand. Small fuzzy dog that's blk & white and mostly out of control, definitely BC, haha.

Red.Apricot

As a proud owner of a dog with weird ears and ear set, I never noticed that about Elsie. So you shush :p

And thanks! I do like his look and the fact that most people have no real complaints about his structure/build. That said, it also makes it just THAT much more confusing for me when people ask me if he's a Siberian Husky. Just...okay... I used to get "Lab mix" when he was a puppy, which I sort of understood because he was so dark, but in the last couple of years I've never heard that. 98% of the population recognize him as a GSD, 2% think that he's a Siberian Husky.

Haha, well she doesn't have the super alert ears that a lot of tervs have.

I've been asked if she's a GSD, chow, sibe, pom (???)... I think people just don't know dog breeds.

People have said Zobby's a good looking frenchie and Boston before, too.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
As for Rowan... um... no, not really. lol His ears are decent, his markings are correct. His muzzle/face generally is off, and he's much taller than a lot of Brittanys, enough so that it's thrown people off who are at least passingly familiar with the breed. He also doesn't have a lot of coat although it's not *too* far off from some field-type dogs (definitely a lot less than primarily show dogs though.) Although most people who know Brittanys do still peg him as one, so he's got that going.

vs show...

or field (which he tends a little more toward, at least in structure)...

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Ummm yes.

(Ignore the Lab, though she is totally adorable)

Though I must say that there is a trend towards a more "show" versus "Finnish hunting dog" looking Finkie that I'm not a fan of. My breeder is doing a really good job of abiding first and foremost with the Finnish Standard and welcoming criticisms in his program from friends/judges of his who hunt AND show these dogs in Finland. Things like bigger eyes, more Shiba-esque coats (that have been trimmed), no rear, lots of white, and short and curly tails are characteristics that I'm seeing more of......

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Jari is a giant! I didn't realize he was so much bigger!
He's totally huge. Well I mean he's in standard and all, but just bigger than my guys. Pen is really at the very bottom of the standard for boys, and the girls are both a bit on the small side, too. Jari already weighs 10lbs more than Kimma, and 5lbs more than Pen.

I should try and get some standing/stacked pics of the two boys one day, Pen in front of Jari LOL.

krissy

Typey as in show ring? No for Summit. Not sure about Kili... she flunked out of the ring but that was probably mostly my inexperience and lack of interest and her not being mature yet.

However, I think they are both OBVIOUSLY greyhounds. The general public might beg to differ since no one seems to know what a greyhound is (they're on the side of a BUS... seriously) and seem to think they are everything from Borzois/Salukis/Whippets (at least those are all sighthounds) to Dobermans, Great Danes, and Weims.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
Considering this what "show" people call the breed standard

No Outlaw is NOT at all for a bench Lab anyways....

For a field bred Lab he's right on par!

(Excuse the TERRIBLE stacking skills....he was NOT feeling it)

I'd say Walter is typey. He definitely looks like an Aussie. He's still pretty young though at 9 months. He's got some growing to do.

Members online