Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

Timidity. I see too many Welsh who are shrinking violets, or worse, just plain shy. From what I've been told it's much better than it was, but I also had a very famous lab handler say to me "A happy Welshie! You don't see a lot of those." Clearly it's still a problem in the breed. Watson isn't shy or timid at all and I want another like him.

They can be a little independent and stubborn at times, which I wouldn't mind tweaking, but it's not to the extreme.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Higbread Dingbat

BCs: The split between working and show.

While I do like one that fits the description of the breed standard (especially the tail part, I just prefer the dropped tail). The show bred ones seem to take that to an extreme, with weird posture and a massive coat. (Re the standard: "The rough variety is medium in length without being excessive.")

And of course the lack of drive I have seen advertised by some breeders. "We breed the show type of Border Collie which isn't suited to doing work" yeah...okay. So since the breed is characterized by it's love for work, what the heck are you breeding?

And of course the people that own them that clearly shouldn't. It seems so many think that "Most intelligent breed" means "So smart that you don't have to train it"
They tend to be the people who brag about the dog chasing their ceiling fan or something ridiculous

WOW I didn't think I had that much to "change" about the breed.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Dog aggression, reactivity, and same-sex aggression, hands down.
I'd be okay with this if it wouldn't affect herding drive. ETA: I don't want to see this dog go soft just because people don't want to deal with the DA/DR/SSA.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

PRA
Temperament issues
ALL THE TAILS
Hypothyroidism, Addisons, and Cushings
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Shedding in GSDs.

Dog aggression in Pitties.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Allons-y!

I'd get rid of MDR1 & CEA, since those are really the only common issues you see.

Not much I'd change about temperament. As far as structure goes I'd like to see a move away from "sailboat dogs", as one of my breeder friends calls them - most LHWs I see have pretty good substance, but there are definitely some overly small, overly narrow dogs out there too.

This is going to sound a little strange, but the biggest thing I'd like to change is to increase the number of breeders. There are only four or five litters a year, max, and as they keep getting more popular it's going to be harder and harder for people to get a puppy. For the most part the breeders we have now are wonderful, responsible, dedicated people, but we need more like them.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Silence, peasants.

The obsession with climbing everything and the taste for human flesh. Everyone with a border collie has these problems, right?

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
*sigh* This.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Duuuuude.

Brittanys aren't "my" breed but I love them and have one, so...

Hyperactivity. It's not a breed wide thing but common enough that it's become their reputation. I'm not saying they should be lazy, but they don't need to be tireless, pacing balls-to-the-wall to be good working dogs, either. I don't think it's correct for a dog to have a hard time settling down when it's time. To me it indicates a lack of stability.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

For Staffords? Probably bad breeding. They are very popular in Australia and a lot are poorly bred. I think they are loosing some of their gameness that makes them so solid with humans. I don't really like any breed becoming watered down for the pet market. Cannot handle potential DA and want a dog park dog? Don't get a stafford. They are just an awesome family dog for the right family. My own girl is a byb and is not the best structure wise, but she has got a brilliant temperament and is just so confident. She is quite dog tolerant, but will not hesitate to respond to another dog aggressing. I just manage to keep her out of situations that bode ill. She has a set of doggy friends that complement each other with their play style and temperament.
I'm thinking that a good Stafford will be my next dog if I don't get a rescue mutt.