Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,120
Default

I wore a shirt to Mira's hunt tests (brown, so legal) that read "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" with the silhouettes of two dinosaurs.

At the first test, a judge really liked it and wanted one because she thought it was too perfect for hunt tests where things can be going swimmingly (literally) then go to pieces in a moment if your dog goes suddenly selectively deaf or decides he knows best or just has a wild hair that day. I just said it was from a television show.

At the second test weekend, a fellow competitor recognized it and was cracking up, which was fun. Firefly fans, unite


Mostly though I fall hard for books over shows. And generally am very not happy when my favorite books turn into shows/movies, especially if they gain a huge show/movie-only following. I'm not sure why it bothers me so, but it does.
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Ugh, yeah. So much this. Honestly just hearing how many fans gushing over it being "not just a show" and the best thing to happen since sliced bread... just makes me automatically weirded out by the fan, and then somehow the show by default. Except in my case this was before ever watching the show, so I had a bad taste in my mouth going in, was completely unimpressed and couldn't continue.
I think the same thing would have happened to me if I'd realized the extent of the fandom before I watched it. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
This happened. And I couldn't even get through the second episode. So incredibly cheesy.
*waits for torches and pitchforks*
It IS cheesy. That's part of why I love it. I have no problem with people not liking popular things - I hate Breaking Bad. The entire plot of the show bothers me but I think I was majorly influenced (in a bad way) by all the insane internet hype about it being "OMG BEST SHOW EVAR". Torch and pitchfork me as you will.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
EPIC! Thanks for posting
And I love that actor, the little guy. I can't think of his darn name but I really really like him. I personally don't think he gets a fair shake as an actor.
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
speedydogs's Avatar
speedydogs speedydogs is offline
Allons-y!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Ugh, yeah. So much this. Honestly just hearing how many fans gushing over it being "not just a show" and the best thing to happen since sliced bread... just makes me automatically weirded out by the fan, and then somehow the show by default. Except in my case this was before ever watching the show, so I had a bad taste in my mouth going in, was completely unimpressed and couldn't continue.
Yeah, I hear you. I think if I had encountered the superfans before I watched the show I would have felt the same way. Same with Sherlock - I do genuinely like the show, but a lot of the fans are a little too...intense.
__________________

Emily &:
Aurai Treasure Island - "Simon"
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Equinox's Avatar
Equinox Equinox is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I think the same thing would have happened to me if I'd realized the extent of the fandom before I watched it. :|

It IS cheesy. That's part of why I love it. I have no problem with people not liking popular things - I hate Breaking Bad. The entire plot of the show bothers me but I think I was majorly influenced (in a bad way) by all the insane internet hype about it being "OMG BEST SHOW EVAR". Torch and pitchfork me as you will.
Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of cheesy in TV shows. Like, cheesy Disney? Sure! Some mushy corny rom com? Sign me up and let the crying commence!

But cheesy TV shows? Ehhhhhh no. That's like, 65% of the reason why I couldn't watch Supernatural. Too corny. Same goes for Once Upon a Time, except times like, a bazillion. Because holy corn on top of cheese on top of predictability on top of bad writing.

I've been trying to get into Breaking Bad but just never really had the motivation, plus the first episode was sort of boring. I'm really HOPING it lives up to the internet hype because I want so bad to have another TV show that excites me, but I don't really have super high hopes either. That is the one thing about hyped up TV shows... and that's why when I introduce someone to a show I love (like Game of Thrones), I specify that no, this isn't going to change your life, but it is a **** good show.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I wore a shirt to Mira's hunt tests (brown, so legal) that read "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" with the silhouettes of two dinosaurs.

At the first test, a judge really liked it and wanted one because she thought it was too perfect for hunt tests where things can be going swimmingly (literally) then go to pieces in a moment if your dog goes suddenly selectively deaf or decides he knows best or just has a wild hair that day. I just said it was from a television show.

At the second test weekend, a fellow competitor recognized it and was cracking up, which was fun. Firefly fans, unite


Mostly though I fall hard for books over shows. And generally am very not happy when my favorite books turn into shows/movies, especially if they gain a huge show/movie-only following. I'm not sure why it bothers me so, but it does.
Also this. But the "narnia" books were fairly well done ... A lot more well done then the Harry potter ones, I can't help but think what could have been had walden media gotten the rights to HP instead of Warner bros :/
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I've been trying to get into Breaking Bad but just never really had the motivation, plus the first episode was sort of boring. I'm really HOPING it lives up to the internet hype because I want so bad to have another TV show that excites me, but I don't really have super high hopes either.
Supposedly it gets better.
Either that or your standards get lower.

I don't like it either.


On the subject of Sherlock, I also think...
*looks around*
*whispers*
Benedict Cumberbatch is really unattractive.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Equinox's Avatar
Equinox Equinox is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I think if I had encountered the superfans before I watched the show I would have felt the same way. Same with Sherlock - I do genuinely like the show, but a lot of the fans are a little too...intense.
Yeah, that's been my experience with Sherlock, too. It's really, really good, especially considering that I don't normally like crime shows. But it's not really blow my mind and make me wait anxiously for each coming season amazing? From a technical aspect it's excellent, but it just didn't do it for me and the hype was probably a big reason why.

Also, my roommate keeps trying to convince me how great looking ("unconventionally handsome") Sherlock/Cumberpatchkid is, and I just don't see it. He looks like a lizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
And I love that actor, the little guy. I can't think of his darn name but I really really like him. I personally don't think he gets a fair shake as an actor.
Peter Dinklage? Haha have you spoken to the GOT fans recently? EVERYONE loves Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. He gets some of the highest praise of all the actors on the show, and that's saying something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Supposedly it gets better.
Either that or your standards get lower.

I don't like it either.
Yeah, I watched it at a time when I literally had nothing else to do except walk in straight line. And it still didn't hold my attention. I HOPE it gets better, but I don't know. I really will try again, eventually, but I just don't think I'll ever feel up to it. It's been in my Netflix queue forever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Whisper's Avatar
Whisper Whisper is offline
Kaleidoscopic Eye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,746
Default

There are a lot of cheesy shows I like, but Doctor Who- could not handle the cheese. And the acting. . .maybe better left unsaid.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
-bogart- -bogart- is offline
Member of WHODAT Nation.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 3,183
Default

ON the GoT kick ...


This season I am most excited for the Purple Wedding .


How about you other book readers ? what are you looking for?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site