Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

NDE = Near Death Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The Hobbit movies imo sucked. The three LOTR movies are great (if long) but I think they'd make no sense with just a part of a trilogy. I don't like the Hobbit to begin with though. I loved LOTR and devoured it in about a week when I finally picked up the books. They're slow reading though.
They did suck lol. First of all, there are two too many of them and way too much miscellaneous crap. I liked the book though, and I guess the movies were kind of OK as B entertainment.

I got halfway through the LOTR and it was just tooo slllooww. I remember the point of desertion for me was when he spent like 1 page describing a hillside and all the surrounding plantlife holy jesus that was it. I have since come to learn this is a common complaint. Anyways, the movies were super duper.

Quote:
Aragron isn't good, he's hot. Or at least Viggo as Aragorn is hot.
He is hot. When I "did" LOTR we were all 12ish and my friends were all over Legolas. I agreed because I didn't want to look like I was into daddies or anything but Aragorn is/was way hotter.

Quote:
I love the magic, but I love almost everything (except a couple of the tediously awkward sex scenes- littlefinger's brothel for example). I think the most interesting thing to me is what is going on in the north with the white walkers and wildlings.
I like sex scenes but some of those are trying way too hard. Acceptable sexy scenes included Robb's, Ros flashing Theon from the cart and zee twins. Excluded is anything that takes place in the brothel with lesbians teaching each other or girls twisting around or anything else that's like "hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."

I want to know what's going on with all the crazy up there too, but I can't say moreso than the politcaly stuff to the South. Honestly I'm most interested in how my favorite characters fare. I read mostly for them (I hope they don't die D: )

ETA yeah you guys moved way on past while I was typing lol
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Ha, 'Tyrion' was on Nip/Tuck. Love it. Almost every show I watch ends up having some of the same actors in one way or another lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
The Hobbit... was weird. It's a short childrens' story that they decided to milk for all the $$$ it's worth. It should NEVER have been made into more than one movie.... maybe two. I think two is pushing it. It's not LOTR and never was supposed to be of the same scale as LOTR. It's not a sprawling epic dealing with good vs evil and the fate of the world- it was a story about a hobbit and some dwarves going on a treasure hunt to a mountain with a dragon. They'd tried to make it LOTR and it failed badly imo. I didn't even go see the second one. /rant/
I really like The Hobbit but not the movies. I agree, they tried to turn it into an LOTR-type epic and it just doesn't work for that story.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
He is hot. When I "did" LOTR we were all 12ish and my friends were all over Legolas. I agreed because I didn't want to look like I was into daddies or anything but Aragorn is/was way hotter.
Yeah, when Lord of the Rings came out in theaters, the #1 thing I remembered was how much my friends squealed over Orlando Bloom. I was also pretty young but even now I don't really get it. Objectively he's fine looking, but then I just Googled this Aragorn guy and mmmmm. Yes. Much better.

Quote:
I like sex scenes but some of those are trying way too hard. Acceptable sexy scenes included Robb's, Ros flashing Theon from the cart and zee twins. Excluded is anything that takes place in the brothel with lesbians teaching each other or girls twisting around or anything else that's like "hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."

I want to know what's going on with all the crazy up there too, but I can't say moreso than the politcaly stuff to the South. Honestly I'm most interested in how my favorite characters fare. I read mostly for them (I hope they don't die D: )

ETA yeah you guys moved way on past while I was typing lol
I agree that a lot of the sex is just HBO being HBO. I don't really mind it but it does feel gratuitous. The Meereenese knot reference made me laugh, though.

I'm personally so curious about Rickon and Osha (and Shaggydog, of course)! Especially because we don't really know anything about them but their location from the books. Also, DORNE. MORE OF THE DORNISH, PLEASE. I am dying to see more of Dorne and the Martells and the Sand Snakes, and Oberyn and Ellaria seem to be perfectly cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Ha, 'Tyrion' was on Nip/Tuck. Love it. Almost every show I watch ends up having some of the same actors in one way or another lol.
He does SUCH a great job as Tyrion. Definitely one of my favorite portrayals in the series.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
My friend who watched it said she was very confused for a while regarding the characters and who was related to who etc. lol
My friend just watched the first episode today and was very....lost afterward. Quote: "What are you confused about?" "I guess I just don't have any clue what's going on."
Lol at the moment she just has pretty much no idea what anybody's name is and who is related or what exactly is happening with the story itself.

I am very much a book person though and don't think I could watch it without reading it first. I have to know ALL the details or forget it, I'm lost.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I really like The Hobbit but not the movies. I agree, they tried to turn it into an LOTR-type epic and it just doesn't work for that story.
Dear dog am I glad I'm not the only one! Everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy but they are just.so.bad! And wth was is shown in whatever bs frames per second it was shown in? The story was bad enough but making it look like cheap made for tv crap. Why did they ruin the book
Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 AM
I'm All Ears

What I don't get is how bad the effects look compared to LOTR. Fellowship came out in 2001 and it looks a hell of a lot better effects-wise than the new movies. So in 13 years the effects jut look cheaper? What?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
"hey guys look we're HBO we're so risque here's some SEX."
^This is why I stopped watching GoT. I was reading the books before the show was conceived, and have read them all and am looking forward to the next but the show is just not my cup of tea. Some great actors, a great story, but HBO's approach makes it seem too often like a series of sex scenes strung together by bits of story, instead of a compelling story in which sex happens.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07

Last edited by Shai; 02-20-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
^This is why I stopped watching GoT. I was reading the books before the show was conceived, and have read them all and am looking forward to the next but the show is just not my cup of tea. Some great actors, a great story, but HBO's approach makes it seem too often like a series of sex scenes strung together by bits of story, instead of a compelling story in which sex happens.
Imo it's gotten a bit better by the third season. There were a couple gratuitious shots but nothing like some of the first season brothel scenes. thought I guess the Podrick scene was closish?

It is annoyingly distracting though sometimes.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Imo it's gotten a bit better by the third season. There were a couple gratuitious shots but nothing like some of the first season brothel scenes. thought I guess the Podrick scene was closish?

It is annoyingly distracting though sometimes.
I only made it about 4-5 eps into season 2 before giving it up, so will have to take your word for it