Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Vizsla mom

ummm.. ARE those dicks in flowers? I don't think I understand the humor as it's mostly horrifying to me :/
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Duuuuude.

So I stuck it out with Doctor Who and it's growing on me. I'm definitely not a super fan or anything and don't see that happening, but it's enjoyable. I still really really really hate Rose though. So ready for her to be gone. And her mom. And Mickey. lol okay so I like the Doctor and the supporting and short term cast, I guess.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

Here's another GoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZN...nbIYFktNHfZUkR

It's pretty good (better than the last IMO) but I still think the 1st S3 trailer was the best.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Here's another GoT:

It's pretty good (better than the last IMO) but I still think the 1st S3 trailer was the best.
I can't decide if I want to try GoT or not. I FEEL like I'm not going to like it... but I don't know, I could be totally wrong. Is it a similar feel to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc (because I'm not a big fan of those?)

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Twin 2.0

Doctor Who/Torchwood
Sherlock
Firefly
Buffy

I haven't really picked up a new series in a while, though after this thread and Pinterest, I guess Supernatural is up.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I can't decide if I want to try GoT or not. I FEEL like I'm not going to like it... but I don't know, I could be totally wrong. Is it a similar feel to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc (because I'm not a big fan of those?)
People compare it to Lord of the Rings, but I don't find it to be similar at all. Yes, it's in the "medieval fantasy" genre, but it really doesn't "feel" like a fantasy, to me at least.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Here's another GoT:

I feel like that music totally didn't go with the trailer or the show.

I love LOTR and HP so might be the wrong person to ask but I also love GoT.

It's different. A lot bleaker and more graphic. Much less on the 'magic' aspect of it though it seems to increase as time goes on. Tolkien is great but it's also very archetypal as far as characters go. GoT isn't like that. It's very political, the characters are very complex. There's not always a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy'. HP and LOTR is pretty straightforward: Good guys go fight 'Evil'. And evil is evil because... it's evil. In HP and LOTR you pretty well know good will triumph. In GoT stakes feel a lot higher.

I love fantasy and sci/fi though. And good fantasy/sci fi is hard to beat.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Watch iiiiiiiiit. Although fair warning, it IS HBO so it does have a lot of nudity, sex, and gore. But it's such a good show.

I've heard that Game of Thrones is comparable to Lord of the Rings in the same way that Batman is like Spiderman. If you're into superhero movies. If you've never seen either it probably won't make much sense Game of Thrones is darker, more serious, more elaborate, more intricate, and just has a lot more going on. I have only watched the 3rd LotR movie and that Hobbit movie (Part 1) and I don't really like it, but I love GOT.

I do love Harry Potter though, but GOT and HP barely has anything in common. Definitely definitely definitely not a similar feel.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I feel like that music totally didn't go with the trailer or the show.
I think it's pretty alright but I liked S3 better. I'm glad they aren't using the traditional dramatic choral stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
It's different. A lot bleaker and more graphic. Much less on the 'magic' aspect of it though it seems to increase as time goes on. Tolkien is great but it's also very archetypal as far as characters go. GoT isn't like that. It's very political, the characters are very complex. There's not always a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy'. HP and LOTR is pretty straightforward: Good guys go fight 'Evil'. And evil is evil because... it's evil. In HP and LOTR you pretty well know good will triumph. In GoT stakes feel a lot higher.
Agreed. In GoT no one but the author and his chosen few has any real idea who's going to live, who's going to be on the throne, if there will be a throne... it's all up in the air. Harry Potter is good. Aragorn is good. But you could debate the morality of the majority of GoT characters.

But, it is still a medieval fantasy series. I think you kind of have to enjoy or at least be open to the medieval scene--mud, swords, horses, "good evening, lord and lady blah blah", maidens, chamberpots, all that jazz--before you can enjoy the series. The magic can sort of be ignored if you try hard I don't like the magic very much. Dragons are OK but warging I could do without.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Watch iiiiiiiiit. Although fair warning, it IS HBO so it does have a lot of nudity, sex, and gore. But it's such a good show.

I've heard that Game of Thrones is comparable to Lord of the Rings in the same way that Batman is like Spiderman. If you're into superhero movies. If you've never seen either it probably won't make much sense Game of Thrones is darker, more serious, more elaborate, more intricate, and just has a lot more going on. I have only watched the 3rd LotR movie and that Hobbit movie (Part 1) and I don't really like it, but I love GOT.

I do love Harry Potter though, but GOT and HP barely has anything in common. Definitely definitely definitely not a similar feel.
Oh yeah HBO is one of my favorites for shows. I love The Sopranos, and their new show True Detective a lot. Nip/Tuck is my 2nd favorite show so nudity, sex and gore does not bother me at ALL. lol.

And that's the thing even though typically medieval/scifi/etc isn't my thing -- it does seem like it'd be different. *Totally* different type of show, but for example I like Once Upon a Time and I'm totally not usually into magic and the like, but for some reason, I clicked with that show.

Eh, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm turning it on my HBOGo app right now.

Brit & Jackson