Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Top Dog

Default How much do you spend on groceries for the week?

Just curious: how much do you spend at the supermarket each week and how many people in your household?? How often do you eat out? (Including say, a work cafeteria or something)

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

I think we average around $100-130 a week for 2 people. This is including the grass fed beef we buy by the quarter cow. I've just factored the beef into the weekly groceries. We eat quite a lot of meat, so we buy grassfed beef and lamb from a farm instead of the grocery store.

We eat out quite a lot as well, between the 2 of us, probably 3-4 meals a week. Usually dinner on the weekends and the occasional weekday.

But I do live in Vancouver where the cost of groceries is quite high.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

ABout 50€ (65USD) a week for 2 people... we rarely eat out - maaayyybbeee once a month.
I buy mostly organic and make alot myself to keep costs down and be able to buy organic. We don't eat meat, so I guess that helps as well.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

I spend just about $50 per week to feed myself, including both groceries and eating out.

Roughly $36 per week on groceries and roughly $13 per week on eating out.

I keep a budget of all of my expenditures, so I went ahead and pulled data from last September through this month to get these average values. I'd say that I eat relatively healthfully, but I don't go out of my way to buy organic or name brands and I don't eat too much meat at home (when I do, chicken or ground beef are my go-to meats). I do eat a lot of fresh produce and whole grains which pulls my grocery bills up a bit.

I nearly always bring lunch to work and I make most of my meals at home. I might eat out 2-5 times per month on average.

I do work at a job that provides occasional meals for events and such (maybe 3-4x per month on average) and on the occasions that I go to visit my parents at home, they feed me (a few visits a month).

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

I would say I spend roughly $50/week on groceries. I usually do weekly shopping trips, and it's always somewhere between $40-60.

I'm really trying to cut back on the amount of money I spend going out to eat. I'm bringing my own lunch/dinner to work everyday to avoid ordering in food while I'm there, or stopping and picking up food on the way. My goal is one out to eat meal/week. If it's fast food on the way to class, usually $5-10, if it's out to dinner with friends, usually $20ish.

I'm also trying to be a better grocery shopper in general. I've never really spent a huge amount on food, but it was mostly impulse purchasing - I just bought whatever looked good at the time. Now I'm trying to be more conscious, shopping sales, using coupons, etc.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

2 people, and we spend about $80 a week on groceries. We eat out MAYBE twice a month. Sometimes more if my parents come and visit. They always insist on buying us dinner somewhere though, so it's not something we pay for in those instances.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

I probably spend about $80-$140 on food for a week. I don't shop for groceries or cook food at home much, so maybe one meal a week will be at home, the rest is eating out.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
ABout 50€ (65USD) a week for 2 people... we rarely eat out - maaayyybbeee once a month.
I buy mostly organic and make alot myself to keep costs down and be able to buy organic. We don't eat meat, so I guess that helps as well.
Meat really is the biggest cost for us. Even if we spend quite conservatively, just buying raw meat to cook alone costs us 30-40 a month. But that's because my boyfriend eats quite a lot of meat, usually about 0.6 lbs a day just for lunch. We buy about 5-8 lbs of meat a week.

Edit: The price I quoted $100-130 is just for groceries alone, I didn't include our eat out spending. If we totalled up everything spent on food, I would say at least $200 a week up to $300.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Groceries, as in, just food (and not other household items/cleaning products) I spend probably less than $50 a week. I think I go grocery shopping ever 2-3 weeks and spend around $120-$150 each time, and that includes household products, so I'm probably spending less than $50 a week on actual food items.

That's just me, of course. When Michael is home, that bill is doubled and then some. He eats EVERYTHING.

I don't buy pop, I don't by snack food aside from the occasional bag of chips. A can of soup will feed me for two meals. LOL I'm very good about not impulse buying things when it is just me, especially since I'm trying to watch what I eat now.

I'll eat out MAYBE once a week, more like every two or three weeks, whenever I get a craving for a pizza or McDonalds. I take my lunch to work whenever possible. When Michael was home, he was eating out at least twice a week and sometimes on weekends with me, so I ate a lot more fast food then. That's something I want to try to avoid when he gets back.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Hard to say because most of what I buy each week lasts longer than a week. LIke if chicken breast is on sale, I STOCK up so it will last us like a month.

I average about $130 a week for the three of us. Some weeks I don't really shop at all except to grab pop and milk

We eat out about twice a week. Every Sunday we go for lunch after church and usually lunch on Saturday also. Hubby does go out for lunch with his job at least once a week usually. We rarely go out for dinner lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

http://www.tanyabeakes.jamberrynails.net
[/url]