Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Let it be

Default Brainstorm with me! Help me pick some breeds to research

So I haven't done one of these in awhile and I am getting into serious research mode for another dog. Despite really wanting to adopt a dog my boyfriend wants to go to a breeder. I have agreed to research and look into it to see if I am comfortable going that route. Let's get 'er going.

My house:

I have a dog, a cat and little kids. So keep that in mind when suggesting breeds. With the kids being young I don't really want to take on dogs known for DA or that will eat my cat on sight.

Things I would like:

I love biddable dogs.

I love bigger dogs. Nothing toy sized. 30+ lbs would be ideal.

I want a dog that can keep up on hikes, bike riding etc. I would love to get into scootering with my future pup pup so something athletic sounds delightful.

Off switch though! No zoom zoom zoom 24/7 launching off the top of the fridge. You Mal people are saints. I need a dog that can mellow.

I really like pricked ears but they are not a must.

Herding breeds have my heart. I love their energy. I have spent the last 9 years living with a BC and before him was a Sheltie. They are what I know and what I like. I am not sold on another BC though. I would like to research more and keep my options open.

My boyfriend however likes dogs like Pit Bulls, Presas and other "macho" dogs. I don't think that is a good enough reason to get a dog however if you think a non herding breed could be a good fit suggest 'em.

Things I don't really like:

Double coated dogs. Bandit has thick hair like a sheltie and I hate grooming him. I overlook it for him but it is his only quality I hate. Shedding is fine but the collie pants are excessive.

Dogs that bark at everything. B is pretty quiet. My old dog was not. She barked at the wind blowing. It isnt my favorite thing.

Short life spans or serious health problems. Obviously some things are unavoidable however I am not signing up for a breed that is known to die young from something awful. I couldn't own a Dane despite adoring them because it would gut me.

I really dislike cropping or docking dogs. It's an ethics thing for me and I would not want to support a breeder who does this. If it is the status quo for that breed I won't touch them with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

What about a lab? They're friendly, biddable, a good size, and great hiking buddies. The off switch, though. . .that's something lab people should be able to answer better. The ones I've known don't seem to have one.
Or maybe a staffie? Though there is a potential for DA. . .
I thought of an Aussie since it's still a herding breed, but they often have a LOT of coat. Oh, and docking. Probably not.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Let it be

I don't care if they are DA with outside dogs. I just don't want to crate and rotate with Bandit when we are all home. When we aren't I have accepted that the new dog will not be loose with him as he has a tendency to be a target for all dogs to pick on. But I want to be able to chill in the house with both my dogs in Bandit's senior years.

I actually really like labs and their goofy side. Bandit is super goofy in his energy but not intense if that makes sense? He has a really silly side but he has always been able to settle and snuggle on the couch versus always being on the move. I'd be open to retrievers if people think settling after sufficient exercise can happen,
Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM
LABRADERP!

You pretty much described a Lab!

I've only been a lab owner for about 2 months and it's awesome. He is biddable, smart, LOVES LOVES LOVES kids and dogs and cats and leaves. Bomb proof and at only 4 months old he's about 45 lbsish.

10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Let it be

How do you find his energy as in like herding dogs tend to be really serious versus I have always found labs more... scattered? Is that just because I have met horribly behaved ones? I've adored lots of labs but they do have a different vibe going on.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
How do you find his energy as in like herding dogs tend to be really serious versus I have always found labs more... scattered? Is that just because I have met horribly behaved ones? I've adored lots of labs but they do have a different vibe going on.
Herders are a different ball game then Retrievers. Different genetics for different jobs pretty much.

Could be you did meet some horribly behaved ones, most people I've met so far with Labs want to know why my 4 month old puppy is better trained and more well behaved then their older Lab, and I'm all because I spend time and train and play with him o.O.
10/01/2013
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
I've thought the same thing. Like Millie (as a herding mix) has always been extremely high energy, but different than a lab. The best I can describe it is the herders tend to have a lot of energy that they will *focus* on something (sometimes obsessively, sometimes not), and retrievers in general like to throw their energy into their mere existence.
Not knocking either one, just different.

Muttkip, how is Outlaw's "off switch?" I know at 4 months it's not as easy to tell since he has some maturing to do, but I'm curious.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Let it be

You nailed it. I have always found herders more focused but I could be wrong. Labs have always struck me as happy-go-lucky, free spirits. Not bad just different and something I could totally get used to. I like labs. I really love plain looking dogs. Loud colours are not my thing so there simple yet beautiful appearance attracts me to them. I would love to get to know some to see how I feel about them.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 AM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I've thought the same thing. Like Millie (as a herding mix) has always been extremely high energy, but different than a lab. The best I can describe it is the herders tend to have a lot of energy that they will *focus* on something (sometimes obsessively, sometimes not), and retrievers in general like to throw their energy into their mere existence.
Not knocking either one, just different.

Muttkip, how is Outlaw's "off switch?" I know at 4 months it's not as easy to tell since he has some maturing to do, but I'm curious.
His off switch is awesome

I haven't been able to get him outside to let burn off his energy with fetch for a few days now, but he's content enough to chew antlers and cuddle with me.

He knows when to mellow out when I need him to and when he be OMG HYPER PUPPEH!!>!>! But as far a him maturing into one, he came with. Most Labs I've been around have them, you just gotta work their minds a little bit or even take the edge off with 15-40 minutes of fetch and good to go.

But also keep in mind Outlaw is a field bred Lab and this is not the "norm" for them, I went to a hunting breeder because I wanted a certain look and energy level and got what I wanted. A bench bred Lab will have the right amount of energy, but has a better off switch
10/01/2013
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 AM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
You nailed it. I have always found herders more focused but I could be wrong. Labs have always struck me as happy-go-lucky, free spirits. Not bad just different and something I could totally get used to. I like labs. I really love plain looking dogs. Loud colours are not my thing so there simple yet beautiful appearance attracts me to them. I would love to get to know some to see how I feel about them.
They are VERY happy-go-lucky! It's what makes them awesome dogs, but they're also so biddable you can make them focus on the level of a herder.

Def go check out some Labs and spend some time with trained Labs and you'll fall in love!
10/01/2013
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
11/03/2002-11/21/2013