Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Why did you spay or neuter?
Spayed - required by rescue/breeder 25 28.41%
Spayed - to protect their health 11 12.50%
Spayed - to modify behavior 4 4.55%
Spayed - for birth control 23 26.14%
Other (please explain in comments) 17 19.32%
Neutered - required by rescue/breeder 27 30.68%
Neutered - to protect their health 4 4.55%
Neutered - to modify behavior 16 18.18%
Neutered - for birth control 18 20.45%
chocolate orange! 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Those of you with intact boys. Do you have concerns about prostate problems as your dog ages? That is one of the biggest reasons I would neuter (even if it's later in life). I feel like neutering while healthy at age 8 or so is a better option than neutering because of prostate problems at age 10 (then you have age and possible complications).

I tried to find information from a mostly unbiased source for how many intact male dogs develop prostate problems, but I can't.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Mackenzy was spayed just before 6 months, because we had a contract through the rescue, and because at the time I believed it was best for her health because of the potential for mammary tumors. I was totally unaware of the other possible health issues and had no idea about potential changes in metabolism and coat quality.

Keeva's got her parts and will stay that way for a few years yet, and then probably eventually have an OSS.

Blossom had an OSS because the Mal rescue wanted her too and I didn't want to tell them to **** off. lol. And because it makes her eligible for an PAL# and AKC performance events.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Those of you with intact boys. Do you have concerns about prostate problems as your dog ages? That is one of the biggest reasons I would neuter (even if it's later in life). I feel like neutering while healthy at age 8 or so is a better option than neutering because of prostate problems at age 10 (then you have age and possible complications).

I tried to find information from a mostly unbiased source for how many intact male dogs develop prostate problems, but I can't.
I do worry about that. Prostate and testicular cancers would definitely motivate me to neuter. My compromise on that front is to have bloodwork done every six months once Rhys turns 7 or so. Any abnormalities and the balls will be snipped lol. I think I remember reading somewhere that both prostate and testicular cancers spread slowly and if caught early don't have a high incidence of recurrence. Also that neutering is usually sufficient to stop the cancer's spread. I could be wrong, though. As far as I know, Rhys has no direct male relatives that have ever had either of those types of cancer, and many have remained intact for most if not all of their lives. So I just try to be educated and informed about the risk.

My childhood dog was intact his whole life (16 years) and I can't get past how healthy he was, how beautiful his coat was, his great disposition, and incredible muscle tone. No one ever guessed his age, either. Purely anecdotal, but the experience of him being intact has made a strong impression on me.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:

Yup, I worry, too. Which is why Abrams WILL be neutered...just not young.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

I was pushed pretty hard to neuter Frag by the vet. I knew to wait, and wouldn't have had a problem keeping him intact for life... he never had any problems associated with the balls, really. Vet thought it may help his weird aggression... I can't say for sure if it was what helped or not. The timeline is getting fuzzier for me, but he was about 2 when neutered, so finally maturing, and we were doing behavior mod like crazy for the human aggression, plus TONS of regular training and lots of confidence building sports like agility and dock diving.

Who knows if the lack of testosterone helped, or if it was all the behavior mod/training, or just growing up. May be a little of each. He's healthy now (with good hips!) and non-aggressive, so I can't say I would change a thing to find out otherwise...

Recon was neutered because he was cryptorchid and the breeder required it by 18 mos. I probably could have talked her into letting me keep him intact, as he was better behaved as an adult with the testosterone than he is now (ok he was a little humpy and sniffy but that could be due to lack of training on my part) and I liked it/he performed well, but with the crypt I didn't want to cause any medical issues, and he was full grown with (assumed) growth plates closed.

Patton will likely be staying intact for most of his life, unless something comes up. I've really liked all my boys with their bits. Haven't had any real trouble related to it. The age thing and medical issues does worry me, and based on studies it seems like the golden window would be a healthy mature adult neuter vs. staying intact indefinitely... So I may neuter Patton much older, who knows.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Rylie was spayed at 6 months of age because I thought it was the "right" thing to do.

After research, we spayed Chloe after her first heat... I believe she was 11 months old when she was spayed.

Emma was also spayed after her first heat... I think she was also 10-11 months at the time. Tucker wasn't neutered, so I didn't want to deal with separating them for another heat. It was a lot of work!

Tucker was neutered when he was 3 (I think?) because I couldn't deal with him marking. Neutering completely fixed that issue.

Rory is still intact because I haven't had a reason to neuter him. He'll be 5 next month.

Zara is also intact but will be spayed next month. She is being spayed per her contract.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Sako's breeder neuters her males by age 7 or 8 (she spays her girls by this age too), and this is one of the reasons why. I think it's a good practice, personally. That would be my plan with Barrett as well. I'll just have him collected beforehand if I feel it necessary.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Gavroche is neutered and started having prostate problems at age 5, 4 years AFTER he was neutered. Prostatic cysts with chronic prostatitis/intermittent UTIs leading to urinary incontinence.

My parents had two intact GSDs recently. Both lived to age 13/14. One never had any prostate problems, the other got prostatitis every 6 months when the bitch next door went into heat in the last year of his life. Not something that really was a big deal, just antibiotics for a couple weeks each time.

So, I don't feel like a neuter will do any good when they're older.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:

IME (anecdotally of course) almost all intact males will develop an enlarged prostate like benign prostatic hypertrophy in humans when they are older, but I don't feel like they have more prostate cancer, prostatitis, etc. than neutered males. The BPH will often cause enough problems (typically with defecation) to neuter the dog. Lots of perianal adenomas in older intact males, too, which again are benign but can sometimes be a real nuisance for the dog.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Squishy face

Norris was neutered by FOHA four years ago when he first went there. Which is fine with me.

Daisy was spayed because spaying at 6 months is "what you did". She did develop a little urinary incontinence, but it really only happens now and then. She has territorial/fear aggression to strangers who come to the house, but I have no idea if spaying affected this behavior one way or another. Maybe with her hormones she may have been less anxious, but maybe not. Benji we had neutered because he had a marking issue. Rocky came neutered from the people we got him from.

If I get female dogs in the future, they will be spayed. No messy heats for me, thanks. Male dogs will be allowed to remain intact unless there is an issue that requires a neuter. Of course, if I get dogs from rescue, they'll come already altered.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!