Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Why did you spay or neuter?
Spayed - required by rescue/breeder 25 28.41%
Spayed - to protect their health 11 12.50%
Spayed - to modify behavior 4 4.55%
Spayed - for birth control 23 26.14%
Other (please explain in comments) 17 19.32%
Neutered - required by rescue/breeder 27 30.68%
Neutered - to protect their health 4 4.55%
Neutered - to modify behavior 16 18.18%
Neutered - for birth control 18 20.45%
chocolate orange! 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Blonde Raccoon

Seamus was neutered because it was required when we rescued him and also because it was the 'right' thing to do, sort of like what Linds said.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
orange iguanas.

To protect their health and birth control. When it comes to females, I may have changed my mind on the age I spay at, but I will always spay them - pyometra scares me, and I like to go to dog parks and I don't supervise my dogs outside. Intact female is too much responsibility.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Twin 2.0

Sawyer was neutered at 18 months by the rescue. Huck was spayed mostly because of convenience. We're currently living with my parents for a bit and they couldn't take her being in heat after the first time. So, bye-bye ovaries.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Duuuuude.

Both of my boys were neutered when I got them.

My childhood dogs, all male, were neutered for multiple reasons. Birth control, behavior modification (kind of, I think my parents thought that intact males just automatically mark everything etc) and, as others have said, because it's just what you do.

Future males that aren't show dogs will likely remain intact at least until full maturity and maybe indefinitely. Females I'm not quite so sure about. Pyometra scares me, and although I know it's not super super common, I've read that it occurs more in females that have never been bred. But definitely until full maturity as well.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Eden came to me spayed from her breeder.

Limit is neutered for birth control and behavioral reasons (I didn't check that box - oops).

Kastle is intact but will most likely be neutered around 5ish for health reasons. Maybe.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Summit came to me neutered from the adoption group.

Kili is being spayed next month at al out 19 months of age. I wanted her intact until 18 months to allow her to mature and develop normally since I worried about growth plates with agility. However, I do NOT have any interest in managing an intact female dog in heat. Also pyometras... I'd rather spay her at a time convenient to me than wait until her life is at risk and do it as an emergency (since I will absolutely not be breeding her due to health and congenital abnormalities there's no reason to risk an emergency). And mammary tumours are almost non-existent if spayed before the first heat. I don't think there is enough conclusive evidence about the increase in other cancers with altered dogs. If we get more conclusive evidence of that in the future and that the risks of other cancers with altering are greater than the incidence of mammary cancer then in future I may elect for just a hysterectomy. But right now I don't have enough evidence to satisfy me. I'm keeping my eye out for it though.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia is spayed for contractual reasons only.

Summer was spayed after her second litter she was having some reproductive health issues. Her litters were both still born.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Buzz was neutered at 28 months because we got Bailey and knew we couldn't keep two intact dogs of opposite sexes responsibly.

Bailey was spayed at 14 months because we realized we had no desire to breed her and nobody wanted to deal with an indoor/outdoor (at the time) dog in heat any more than you have to.

Gabby came to me spayed. She was more than likely done before her first heat, which was likely for convenience.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Lauren is drunked so she told me to answer for her!

Frodo was neutered because he was growing up with his littermate sister. NEUTER ALL THE BALLS!

Siri was spayed for behavioral reasons. She didn't cope well with the pain of being in season, and retaliated at Frodo.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

They all came to me through a rescue, so they were all spayed/neutered already. They were, however, all altered as adults - Missy at 4ish, Jack at 3ish, and Heidi at 9ish.

In the future...if I have a choice...I think I'll wait until at least 18-24 months to alter. I have zero desire to breed, and don't want to own an intact dog long-term, but I would like to wait until they're more mentally and physically mature.