Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Why did you spay or neuter?
Spayed - required by rescue/breeder 25 28.41%
Spayed - to protect their health 11 12.50%
Spayed - to modify behavior 4 4.55%
Spayed - for birth control 23 26.14%
Other (please explain in comments) 17 19.32%
Neutered - required by rescue/breeder 27 30.68%
Neutered - to protect their health 4 4.55%
Neutered - to modify behavior 16 18.18%
Neutered - for birth control 18 20.45%
chocolate orange! 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Not a Border Collie

None of the above? Dally was spayed at almost 3 years old. We would have had no problem preventing unwanted puppies, but we had no intentions of breeding her and she was prone to false pregnancies, and heats are annoying!

Both Quinn and Ned are intact.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Snowball came that way. If I ever get a female (from a breeder) I will probably get her spayed because, as SitStay said "heats are annoying". I'm undecided about whether I'd get a future male neutered. Would likely depend on the individual, but we'll see when/if we get to that point.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Journey's still intact and will remain that way for a while yet unless it becomes a health issue. Haven't decided when I want to spay her. I honestly don't really want to, for the most absurd reason (I loathe spay coat), but will eventually for convenience I am sure once we get more into trialing and stuff.

Dance is spayed because her false pregnancies were terrible and she was super irregular, so it was more convenient to spay her. Plus she has a temperament that I believe should not be bred, so not much point keeping her intact.

Keira was spayed because we planned on spaying her anyway, but she went into heat for three months and wouldn't come out due to cysts apparently (didn't know until she was spayed).

Ripley was neutered because he wouldn't eat or keep weight on mostly. But I also neutered him for hormonal behaviour reasons and was tired of constantly nagging at him to behave himself (always teeth chattering/urine tasting, couldn't play for long periods without over-excitement mounting, and just being a general pest/obsessed with following my girls' hind ends around). I could have worked on everything more, but I felt like I was just annoying him all the time telling him to knock it off and keep himself in check.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Big Dog

I picked "other" for Marvel b/c he was a big slut boy.
Pee licking, foaming chatter face, pervert boy.

And we weren't breeding him and he was 16 months.

We will see how long we last with Gnome. It's up to us a bit but having an intact girl is a PITA with scheduling.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Meg was spayed at about 18 months (after having a litter) by the rescue in West Virginia before transport to Vermont.

Gusto was done at about 11 months by me. I have zero interest in owning intact dogs. I had intended to keep him intact a couple months longer, but I was already sick of dealing with him drooling and chattering all over the training center.
I have had late neutered males who would still do that, now I don't normally go around leash popping my dogs but I will give them a sharp tug to redirect their attention and if they keep it up, we leave.

Neutered or not, I don't tolerate "horny" behavior from my males.i know it's "natural" but I personally find it gross lol. I don't neuter them because of that, I neutered bear, my show dog after I was finished showing him and I knew I wasn't going to breed him anymore (he had a couple of litters) because I ran out of time to campaign him and whatnot.

My females? Yeah I spay them for convenience, I will admit it lol.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Abe was chopped at about 2 per the shelter. He should have been done before he came home but with references and a contract I was able to get them to allow me to wait until he was 2.
I'm glad I did.