Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Why did you spay or neuter?
Spayed - required by rescue/breeder 25 28.41%
Spayed - to protect their health 11 12.50%
Spayed - to modify behavior 4 4.55%
Spayed - for birth control 23 26.14%
Other (please explain in comments) 17 19.32%
Neutered - required by rescue/breeder 27 30.68%
Neutered - to protect their health 4 4.55%
Neutered - to modify behavior 16 18.18%
Neutered - for birth control 18 20.45%
chocolate orange! 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Art was neutered at 6 months because that was what you were "supposed" to do. I wish we hadn't gotten him done so early, he definitely has much more of a skinny boy look than his brothers.

Talon is almost 18months and still intact. We don't currently plan on getting him neutered unless something comes up we think will benefit from a neutering. We are going to see how he is at 2 yrs and go from there.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Lord Cynical

PS - IMO, cats don't need reproductive organs..... unless they belong to a breeder of show cats, I suppose. Yuck yuck yuck. Intact cats are.... yuck.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Oz was neutered according to my mother beagles have "balls comparable to a hamster's" (For anyone who hasn't had a male hamster...she means grotesquely huge). And she had no desire to keep them.

And that beagles tend to have enough issues with running away and marking without the hormones, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Cobain was neutered due to breeder contract. Out of all of my dogs, he's the one I would have considered keeping intact. I just think some extra hormones would have done him good haha.

Rigby and Ruby came spayed. Woulda spayed them anyways. No reason to keep them intact and they're both bitchy enough as it is.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Show Dog

I put neuter required by rescue as it's the best fit. Jubel was actually neutered by his previous owner before he was surrendered to the pound. So sometime under about 1 year of age but no clue when. If he had been intact when the rescue pulled him from the pound they would have altered him before adopting him out.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
PS - IMO, cats don't need reproductive organs..... unless they belong to a breeder of show cats, I suppose. Yuck yuck yuck. Intact cats are.... yuck.
This may also rustle some feathers for me to say but the cat overpopulation problem is a lot bigger than the dog problem.
Yes, there are homeless dogs but I've seen shelter workers get to the point of giving cats away and basically describing them as pests there are so **** many.

they are breeding machines, many roam at large, they pee on things, there are too many kittens, too many cats, and not enough homes for them.

I can easily argue the "Oh responsible dog owners can choose to keep dogs intact" and even "Pet owners breeding a litter of puppies is unfortunate but isn't the end of the world"

but for cats I'm just like NO. NO. DONT DO IT.
Unless you are a show breeder or breeding some rare specimen there is no reason for you to be breeding cats they do a fine job on their own go check a shelter

and frankly I don't think there is ask much of a risk (temperament/genetics/health wise) of getting a kitten from a shelter vs. getting a puppy.
but maybe that's because I'm not a cat person so a cat is a cat is a cat lol

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR CATS Y'ALL
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I don't like the idea of altering animals in general, but with cats I'm a big fan.

They aren't like dogs, there's no "ok, this is one of 2 times this year that she'll come into heat, better be extra careful."

Cats are in heat, like, every third week for 3/4 of the year.

I wouldn't want to be a cat breeder lol.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

I almost always have neutered and spayed my dogs because it was what you're "suppose" to do for health and behavior and preventing unwanted litters.

With my last GSD, he was becoming very dog aggressive and picking fights, but I was thinking of keeping him intact way back then for possible breeding. So he was neutered at about a year old.

My female Lab went through one heat and I couldn't stand it so she got done.

My Doberman, I wish I wouldn't have neutered so young. He was gangly and since then I've read so many reasons why not to neuter, at least not before fully developed.

So, these two Poodle puppies are intact. I only plan to breed one of them but unless there is a reason to neuter, I won't. So far, they only have occasional squabbles over a toy like pretty much most dogs living together. (and human siblings. lol) They don't mark in the house, so far, knock on wood. And they are going to fill out nicely with lots of good, dense bone. I see it, especially with my larger one, Matisse. Other behavior, I am not concerned with. And accidental breeding....not likely. They're under lock and key. Studies show that neutered dogs can be every bit as dog reactive or aggressive and in fact, possibly more so than intact dogs. There just really doesn't seem to be any reason at this point to neuter them. And too many reasons to keep them the way nature intended...with all their organs.

I find it funny that people are so opposed to ear cropping and tail docking but don't find anything invasive or wrong about neutering. Spaying to me, is a little different....health wise. And neutering if one's dog is going to be in contact with other dogs where they might breed by accident...yes. Very important reason.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I voted "other," because it was not my decision. Morgan came from rescue already neutered (pediatric neuter).

Even if he hadn't already been fixed, he probably still would have been neutered young due to shelter contract and "that's what you do."
Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

I went Chocolate orange because both of my dogs are intact.

I did neuter our cats back way when we had them (they both are at the bridge now)...no spraying cats wanted thank you. And...I will never own another cat after those two.
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RA NJC TN-O HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 02-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I totally get your point of view, Fran, though I have thought about breeding Siamese. To most people a cat is a cat is a cat. For me, though, Siamese are special and just like with dogs, I don't see any problem with trying to maintain lines.
Overall, though, I agree. At my AC they were so desperate to adopt out cats they introduced a "adopt one, get one free" kind of deal. REALLY sad.