Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Why did you spay or neuter?
Spayed - required by rescue/breeder 25 28.41%
Spayed - to protect their health 11 12.50%
Spayed - to modify behavior 4 4.55%
Spayed - for birth control 23 26.14%
Other (please explain in comments) 17 19.32%
Neutered - required by rescue/breeder 27 30.68%
Neutered - to protect their health 4 4.55%
Neutered - to modify behavior 16 18.18%
Neutered - for birth control 18 20.45%
chocolate orange! 11 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
While my gelding was not generally "studdy" there were certain mares that he would mount and actually attempt to breed when they were in heat. O.o
Oh my god, yes. I was less than amused to come out to the barn and see my hussy mare getting mounted by a gelding.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I feel like intact cats are just... blech. Females are annoying, and who wants a stinky tomcat in their house lol, their big cheeks are cute but the appeal stops there.
Agreed. I can deal with in heat bitches, but in heat cats? NOPE. NOPENOPENOPE.

I'm not a cat person, though, so our current cat will be our last one.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Oh my god, yes. I was less than amused to come out to the barn and see my hussy mare getting mounted by a gelding.
Not good when your sister's pony is getting mounted by your 16hh cowbred Paint! Poor baby girl. So traumatic.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Bummer. That's dumb.
It is. I encourage anyone who is curious about their reasoning to contact AKC about it - they seemed open to input from those affected a few months back.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Not good when your sister's pony is getting mounted by your 16hh cowbred Paint! Poor baby girl. So traumatic.
We used to have this old saddlebred gelding, King, at the barn. He was a very mellow horse, and one day I had him turned out in the indoor arena with Mia, who was pretty much a large mini. Evidently Mia was in heat, because at one point I looked out the office window to find King bracing Mia against the wall in an attempt to mount her! Needless to say I had to rush out and rescue her!

My friend's American warmblood mare would actually mount one particular paint mare when she was in heat--just that one mare, no others.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Bus came to me at 4 already neutered. His previous owner had him done at around 18 months because he was becoming "territorial". I would have had him neutered anyway, as there are some health issues (like perianal hernias- yuck!) that mature intact males are definitely more prone to, and I generally feel that altered males tend to be better (easier? <shrug>) "pets". I prefer female dogs, but if I were to get a young unaltered male, I'd probably do it anytime after 9 months, trying to hold out til around a year for a larger breed (not going to have a giant breed anytime soon, so talking 70 lbs or less).

Annie was spayed around 2, that was when my aunt (who was her owner then) agreed to have her done. She had been considering breeding her, but was in no position to do that, and Annie was living with us at the time. She'd had a couple heats prior to that.

My grandparents' dog is currently living with my parents, and I had her spayed at around 7 months. They were having issues with her escaping and cruising the area around our houses (no fence), she's a small dog, and they had no use for an intact dog. She's a funny looking dog, but no more so than her (still intact) parents.

Previous larger dogs (APBT) were spayed at around 8-10 months, one after her first heat, one before. The first dog had no related issues, second dog (who was also diabetic) had some occasional incontinence as an old dog, primarily when her glucose got high and she was drinking a lot. Both were "ok" structurally, no better or worse than the average for their breed. The dog who was altered after the heat was leggier, FWIW- I chalk that up to breed variation.

I would probably still aim to spay a female dog I obtained as a pup prior to her first heat, as I just don't want to deal with it. If there were specific structural or behavior concerns, or if it were a breeder purchased dog and they wanted to wait, I wouldn't be against waiting until after a heat, but in general, my personal taste would be to try to do it around 8-9 months, and hope they didn't come in before then. I wouldn't keep a female dog intact for life unless they were at high risk for surgery complications, not only because it's a pain in the rear, but also because of the risk of pyo and mammary tumors. I think mammary tumors are a bigger concern with cats, as a higher percentage of them are malignant in cats, but still, they're both things that tend to occur in older dogs that tend to be less than ideal surgical candidates.

My cats were all spayed at around 7 months. I wanted to wait as long as possible, but avoid them coming into full blown heat, as I was very concerned that with 3 females, it'd cause a behavior problem between them. I had nightmares about the feral cats outside spraying my doors/windows . Plus, cats in heat are off the hook!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Agreed. I can deal with in heat bitches, but in heat cats? NOPE. NOPENOPENOPE.

I'm not a cat person, though, so our current cat will be our last one.
I am very much a cat person, but I tend to agree. I want to leave my animals with all their parts if I can, but if my next cat has a heat anything like my two did. . .holy crap. I don't think I can deal with that! They were miserable and they made everyone else miserable, too, even the dogs.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

I've had a small handful altered early on, but because they were rescues and it was required by the rescue. But neutering at 5 months made a dog with HD's issues probably twice as severe as if he'd have been allowed to mature first. As it was, he had to have surgery at 13 months or else be euthanized.

Others I've kept intact. I've spayed one during a pyometra infection, spayed a couple others (older mature bitches) because I didn't want the pyo risk, and I've neutered once mature for hunting reasons. Simple Dog got neutered after finding a mass in his testicle.

My next dog will be a female, and she will be kept intact for quite some time. Age and increased pyo risk would be the only reasons I spay.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Zane: My parents had him neutered to stop the fighting. He was 2 years old.
Abby: Came spayed from the shelter.
Deputy: His foster family had him neutered.

Past dogs:
Don't remember when/why my parents had Nina spayed. With Nala my parents got tired of the mess she made during her heats, also don't know how old she was.

Deputy, 2007 Zane, 2008 Abby, 2008, Kieber, 2013
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Yeah! It was kind of funny, but I was always worried about them hurting each other. I mean mine would get full on penetration and everything . The first time I saw that I scrambled for the number of that horses' owner to ask if she was 110% sure he was gelded, and not cryptorchid . But my mare was wicked when she was in season, I never saw it but the barn owner where I boarded always complained she got uh...'shot at' if you know what I mean .

Mares, pfft.