Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Default Your Easiest Dogs

Something that's always sort of amused me in my household is that the dog that requires the least amount of grooming, is the one that enjoys it the most.

Rigby could seriously lay for hours being cleaned, brushed, and trimmed. Yet even though it's a double, her coat is so short and dense that it never tangles/matts, nor do burs or brush stick to it. Occasionally I will sit there for an extended period of time brushing her just because she's enjoying it.
If her nails do get too long, she will chew them off herself - but she is excellent for nail trims (except that her nails are black and I still hate trimming black nails).

Whereas Cobain, whom has a much more intensive coat, isn't quite as tolerant. He just doesn't stay still and appears almost annoyed.

Oz and Ruby both have single coats, but they still get stuff stuck in them, and both of their nails grow like weeds.

Anyways, I'm just curious to those with multiple dogs especially, which of your dogs is easiest in terms of their behaviour, and easiest in terms of their coat?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm All Ears

My dogs need about the same amount of grooming and are both easy about grooming.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Harlow had the most low maintenance coat/nails. She's wash and wear, good I the tub. I don't need to brush her and she doesn't really care for it. She's good for nails, but doesn't enjoy it.

Rider is the big shedder. He gets brushed about once a week. Hates baths. Loves to be brushed thankfully. Good for nails, but doesn't like it. His nails grow so fast.

So far Tulsa is a stinker for nails. It sucks because she's the one that needs neat feet. Lol!

I bathe once every few months. Nails I clip/dremel at least once every three days at max.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Aware

I don't groom Em, her coat doesn't hold "pond stink" if I bathe her every 3-4 weeks, I don't trim her nails. I do ask her to file her front nails down on a skateboard every 5-6 weeks, but that takes a whopping minute per foot.

All of my other dogs have ridiculously fast growing nails.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

Lol. I have two Whippets so... A monthly or bi monthly bath (or pre-show), and weekly to bi weekly nail dremmeling, depending on if I need to get them shorter or just maintain. They just stand there or let me lay them upside down to get their feet done. They'll also both jump into the tub on their own (albeit unhappily) for a bath/shower.

I'd say Mimi's easier because her toenails aren't as thick and dremel faster.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
The Monster.

Cohen tolerates grooming pretty well. She gets brushed at least weekly, nails every 2 weeks or so, baths & fur trims every 3-6 months. I use loads of treats, but she'll hold a stand/stay nicely for me and will reposition herself when asked. It's pretty convenient.

Mega is less convenient, but needs less grooming. She gets a bath every 6-12 months and gets brushed every 2-3 months when her shedding gets out of control. She's more annoying to brush because she was never taught a stand/stay so she squirms all over the place. Food helps us get through it pretty fast though. Her nails get trimmed every 3-4 weeks. When she first came to me she'd threaten to bite when we did nails. Now she tolerates it well, but not as well as bigdog.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-23-2014, 01:12 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Both if my dogs are pretty wash and wear. They get bathed about every 4-6 weeks. Blow dried/brushed with the baths. Nails trimmed every 2-4.

Abrams is a big baby when it comes to his nails, but I'm still able to do him by myself. It's just easier with someone holding him. He is a breeze to bathe and blow dry - he actually enjoys it. Cynder let's me do whatever, but she hates the entire process. She is easier to brush, though, because she's not a wiggle worm.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Skye is easiest. Well, she does dead dog and limps down on the floor so usually I can do whatever to her . She hates getting ear cleaner, eye meds, being messed with-but she takes it well. She will get in the tub on her own. She is quiet when I do nails.

Zoie acts worried, she likes being brushed but gets all sullen and wide eyed when I do baths or nails. She pulls them back a lot.

Romeo is good with nails, and I never bathe him. I mean, maybe I've been bathed him twice, ever.

Fiona is not good with her nails. I've figured out if I bring her to the self-wash place and put her on a grooming table, I can do them. Bathing and blow drying and brushing is fine. She struggles if I have to do something specific to her, like ear cleaner or something, but she is ok.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Well, Roxie only gets brushed before baths really... every so often I get all "okay, I'm going to be good and brush you every week!!". But she LOVES being brushed. I hate dealing with all the fur that comes off. That's the main reason I hate brushing dogs.

She's good with baths, as long as you give her a shower. She gets finicky in the bathtub when it's full, even though she has a pool in the summer. But then again, she despises being hosed off, even though she likes showers.

Roxie's not a huge fan of getting her ears cleaned (weekly), or teeth scrubbed (I use cleanse pads from foster and smith, also weekly. She's loads better getting nail trims, although since we've started biking here (no sidewalks) I haven't needed to trim them hardly at all. Used to also happen weekly. She used to be INSANE for nails. Now she just gets over the displeasure of nails, because at least those aren't as bad as teeth and ears!!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

All of my dogs are pretty good about grooming. Ripley and Keira don't need it, but the few times I have brushed them with a mitt or a Zoom Groom, they liked it and just stood there. Pretty much anything that involves touching is the best thing ever in their worlds. They don't like baths at all and Keira trembles the entire time sometimes, but they tolerate it. They are pretty decent for their nails too. They do pull their feet away sometimes and Kangaroo kick their back legs, but I get them done by myself within a few minutes regardless. Keira is better about it than Ripley now. Used to be the other way around. Not sure what happened, but Ripley is a little ridiculous about it sometimes now.

Dance is a little bit fidgety when I trim her feet and ears, but she's still very good about it. She doesn't care about brushing. She just stands and waits for me to be done and turns around and switches positions when I ask her. She is the same way with baths. Nails she is a bit of a tyrant for, but I know just the right way to hold and restrain her now, so the worst she can do is scream like she's being killed... but I figure if someone calls bylaw or something on me for the awful noises, I'll just give them a demo of what exactly I am doing haha. She's so dramatic. She's good about being blowdried too. Sometimes she tries to sneak away, but she knows she won't get away with it.

Journey thinks the universe should revolve around her no matter what's happening, so she eagerly waits in line to be grooming haha. She just stands there too during the process and also turns around and switches positions when asked. I wouldn't say she loves grooming so much as she just enjoys that I am doing something with her, regardless of the activity. She's the same with baths and often falls asleep during a bath. She's my best one with nails too. Lately she's been trying to be a bit of a brat with one paw (the most mobile one that she knows she can fidget), but for the rest of her toes she lays there like Jello. Floppy and relaxed. She is good with blow drying too. Doesn't like it, but knows I'm going to do it anyway and she gets a cookie after.

All of my dogs also get their teeth scaled every so often when I remember as well and all of them are good about that too. And mini rant about the random pet people that talk to me about things haha: I very much have a no shenanigans policy when I am doing things to them that need to be done, and there comes a point that I don't care if they're going to be jerks about it. If I've tried making it a happy experience and they just aren't having it, then oh well (like seven year old Dance who is still the biggest pain for nails). Suck it up and get it over with. I don't understand the whole "he doesn't like it so I don't do it" or "he doesn't let me" train of thought. Some things just need to be done and they do not get a choice in the matter. Grooming of any kind is one of those things.

Anyway, as far as coat maintenance goes, on a scale of easiest to most difficult goes: Keira, Ripley (his skin is harder to keep looking nice), Journey, Dance (her coat is terribly fine and tangly since being spayed and grows like crazy).

Easiest to most difficult as far as behaviour goes depends on what exactly I am doing. Easiest to most difficult for each aspect goes...

Nails: Journey, Keira, Ripley, Dance
Brushing: Dance (super still), Journey (a bit happily wiggly lol) - Dobes are irrelevant
Bathing: Dance & Journey, Ripley, Keira
Teeth: Journey, Ripley & Keira, Dance (she squeezes her lips tight)
Drying: Journey, Dance (Journ doesn't sneak away, Dance tries) - Dobes are irrelevant
Trimming: Journey, Dance (fidgety)

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN