Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia has no slow setting. lol That is our lower value treat and that is actually a lot of pausing/thinking for her.

I was trying to push my hand back a bit but I don't think it worked very well.

We may have to stick to skateboarding for our videod trick.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 AM
The Monster.

Yeah, your target placement/approach took me a little by surprise. When I do this trick with Mega I use a specific gesture that is the result of luring which has been really successful for me.

Food goes in hand (or not). Close hand. Palm facing in, back of the hand towards your dog. Roll your hand up, into your wrist. Dog should follow lure, and the movement should be small enough/controlled enough for her to rock up and back into a beg.

I think you're getting tripped up by having the target too far forward. And I didn't watch the whole video, but are you rewarding in position without the brace? That's how you'll slow her down and get her to maintain the position. That, or give her a stay or hold-it type of cue to help bridge the gap.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 AM
I'm All Ears

What we did (working on it in class) was they started with an actual target and had them hitting it with both paws. I guess I just need to move the target up and back so she can't balance on it. I'll try that tonight.

The second part was how I'd tried to just capture it initially before class without a lure or a target. But she does just seem to think 'Oh I bounce up really fast and get a cookie' vs sit up and hold it. Occasionally she will hold it a millisecond longer but I haven't seen much improvement (but we've not worked on it much at all). And after a few of these she starts just plain bouncing vs sitting and lifting her paws.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 AM
The Monster.

I won't pretend to know everything about how to teach sit pretty, but to me teaching it as a paw target behaviour means that the priority for the dog is going to be the paws, not holding the upright position.

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I won't pretend to know everything about how to teach sit pretty, but to me teaching it as a paw target behaviour means that the priority for the dog is going to be the paws, not holding the upright position.
Yes I am pretty sure that is our issue. She is only thinking about the paws and not the sitting. When we are shaping it (end of video) without lures she is thinking about lifting the paws but it's so fast and short that I'm not sure how to progress. Haven't tried luring yet.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM
The Monster.

For this thread and your hold one, this may help in adding duration to your behaviours.

Reverse luring:

Megatron, Heat Vampire
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Show Dog

Astro took ages to learn this one. I was trying all kinds of different things, and getting kinda frustrated. I found the more he got to practice leaning forward or jumping into a stand, that was what he did, even if he wasn't getting rewarded for it.

The only thing that worked (and I don't know if it'll help you because they're entirely different-shaped and different-thinking dogs), was using my arm as an upright brace, so that he never, ever got to tip forward. I held my forearm vertical, treat at the top, and brought it forward so that it was almost pressed against him. Any time he leapt up, I pulled back, and he couldn't lean forward because my arm was in the way.

He learned to wrap his forelegs around my forearm and nibble at the treat while in the correct position, and I think that helped him build up the abdominal strength to later do it on his own. I faded the "prop arm" to just a luring hand, and then faded that to just a verbal signal. As I faded it I made sure that my hand with the treat was always right over top of him, never too far so that he thought he had to reach for it.

I wish I had video of the process, but nope
Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Well we've been working on this most days and I'm giving her my hand to target up higher so she's actually balancing. She just doesn't seem to know what to do without my hand being there. I definitely think we need to approach this in a different method than targetting.

I decided just to use skateboarding as the video required trick. She picked that up fast.