Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Things your dog knows that you have NO IDEA where they got it from?

For example:

Mia knows how to dig on cue? I have no idea when or how she knows what the word dig means. I can point to the ground and say dig and she will. It kind of baffles me.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

When Logan has to throw up, he throws up in the water bowl (or food bowl). Super convenient, actually, but I don't know how he figured this out.

Also I need to use the sound of a banana opening to train Logan to do sound alerts. OMFG I just pulled two bananas apart and he comes running in here from the other room where he was sound asleep.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
When Logan has to throw up, he throws up in the water bowl (or food bowl). Super convenient, actually, but I don't know how he figured this out.
If Indy is crated and has to use the bathroom and no one is home, she will sh*t in her (empty) food bowl. It's like, wtf dog, but thanks for saving me from cleaning that crate bed!

Enzo is also a Master at finding coconuts.

Indy and Ozzy will work together to herd crabs (literal crabs) to me. They don't want to touch it, they don't want to eat it, they want to bring it to me. (Though that's probably directly related to being herderbrains.)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

From the day he came home, Caleb has sat and looked up at your face when he wants something. Sure made teaching him to sit easy- I just had to put a name to it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Puppy Dog

We created our own floor cleaner. If we say "Snowball, clean-up!" he will come to the kitchen and find the food we've dropped on the floor. We did it once as a joke, and now he does it without fail. Not something I necessarily plan on teaching future dogs since Snowball has no interest in anything dangerous for him, but it's a cute trick when we have friends over and someone drops something (dog-safe) on the floor.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Silence, peasants.

Well it's not out of nowhere but...Basically one day Feist hopped into the pantry and I gave her a cookie because I thought it was cute. Then over the next couple days, she did it with other various family members and they had my reaction (awwww and a treat), and got some reaaallly tasty stuff like cheese/meat for it. Now it's turned into whenever she hears the pantry door being opened, she races in and throws herself into the pantry. And of course gets a cookie.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

This

We didn't teach her this, it's just something she does. No idea if someone taught it to her before us, or what. We have her do it on que now, but she did it before when she was in super happy play mode....5 times in a row. lol.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Big Dog

Don't know if this counts but Kris opens my back door when she wants to come in. I am in the habit of locking it now everytime I come in if she is outside.

I think she accidentally hit the round door knob with her foot one time and the door opened.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Top Dog

I can't think of anything for Watson, but one of my dogs growing up figured out how to roll down the windows in the car. At first he was just frustrated and pawing and the window went down. After that he was all over it and we had to put the child lock on the windows so he wouldn't roll them down in the middle of winter.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
Don't know if this counts but Kris opens my back door when she wants to come in. I am in the habit of locking it now everytime I come in if she is outside.

I think she accidentally hit the round door knob with her foot one time and the door opened.
Fred does this, just casually let's himself in. Think it was trial and error learning for him!!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein