Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh, except shih tzus are not heat tolerant.

And I can't figure out how to post a picture. Hrmph.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Top Dog

StompinT I hope you can work out the photo thing. Your girl sounds just lovely. I've met a few shih tzus. All of them were very lovely dogs.

The heat tolerant aspect is pretty important because I live in Tropical Qld. But then, some coated breeds have natural insulation - from heat and cold. Not sure if that is the case for shih tzus - I'm sure you would know, owning one!

An independent streak is very much welcome. Out of curiosity - your girl is very healthy, is that typical of the breed?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Puppy Dog

I think they are typically quite healthy, as a breed. She is super healthy, and always has been. People don't believe it when I mention she is 11 years old. She is not heat tolerant because of her short little face / nose. Similar to a pug, bulldog, etc. Having said that, we have warm summers here (+30 C) and she just finds a shady place to lay down. And we have air conditioning. But she really wouldn't be interested in exerting herself much in the heat.

Turns out I can't post pictures because of some forum limitation. Not sure why that would be, or how I get it changed.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh, and when we were doing formal obedience classes (for a year, because we both loved it) the instructors really wanted me to get her involved in agility and fly ball. She would have LOVED it, but it wasn't at all convenient for my life then.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Well that actually sounds ok. I mean it's more the humidity up here than anything - we've got air conditioning. I wouldn't expect my current dogs to run around in the heat of the day but even the evenings can be pretty hot. I may have to find out from owners / breeders how they go. The shorter face is a bit of a concern.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

A cocker from a good breeder seems to fit what you want. Not sure where you are, but I would say a field coated American cocker. The OH family has one (or an English cocker mix). Best dog ever. She is sweet, trainable, biddable and does just about whatever they ask her to do. They haven't had a lot of health issues with her, and she only needs a brushing like once a week, and a shave every other month or so.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler