Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Question What would you do?

Theres a breeder. I've sort of fallen in love with them a little bit. They do everything I'd want in a breeder... They share all my ethics on it. They produce amazing dual purpose dogs. They rarely breed.... So if they did, it would be amazing to get a dog from them.

My issue might seem minor to some.....

But they produce show quality working dogs. Working dogs are docked....

I really don't want a docked dog

I really want to talk to the breeder about a dog in the future, but I'm really holding off becauseof this as I think they'd be insulted if I mentioned it.

What do you do...... Having a docked dog would not sit right with me at all. But they are pretty much everything I want in a breeder.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Kung Pow Fish

for me, docking is a dealbreaker. theres got to be a breeder that is everything you want, and doesnt dock

i feel your pain. theres a couple breeds i want except for the docking thing, and even in my own breed im a bit of a sore thumb because i dont crop ><
Old 01-28-2014, 05:09 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Issue is it isn't as simple as finding another breeder who does all that and doesnt dock. They're not a hugely popular breed

All working breeders dock, and I definitely want a dog proven in confirmation and physical ability... There's lots of dual purpose breeders, but they all dock

I'm in a quandary. And I'm not even looking to add a dog lol...

Just all mixed up in my brain.

Plenty of time to keep looking, but you know when you're a bit like "they are THE ONE!"
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Maybe it is because I don't care about docking...but I personally think the absence or presence of a tail isn't a good reason to choose to not get a dog that would otherwise be perfect for you.

I understand docking is an ethical quandary...but if you love everything about the breeder and would trust them to do the best by their dogs...wouldn't you trust them to safely and humanely dock the puppies?

But that's just me. :P Docking is along the same lines to me as coat color. That'd be like me turning down the PERFECT Labrador because it was yellow. Sure, if I could find a black one I'd prefer that, but if the breeder only bred yellows I'd suck it up.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Top Dog

I would be in the same boat you are Dizzy. Docking is a Big Deal to me. I'm 99% sure I couldn't buy a docked puppy from a breeder. I don't know what that 1% would have to be, to make me change my mind.

There's a field breeder I greatly admire who docks. Hers are long field docks, so the dog still has a functional tail... but the dog is still docked. Doesn't sit right with me.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Higbread Dingbat

IMHO until docking becomes a banned practice in whichever area you live in, it's going to be tough to find a breeder of that quality that doesn't dock.

My preference with working breeds is that the dog can still perform the original function, but also looks like the breed is supposed to. When a breeder can attain such a perfect balance of workability and conformational correctness, it seems to be a rare thing these days.
And anyone with such a balance for whichever breed you're interested in, is likely going to dock for the safety of a working dog.

When it's done at 2 days of age before the nerve endings fully fuse, it's not really as horrendous as some make it sound. Add on that it's a heck of a lot more humane than having the dog break it's tail as an adult (or hurt someone else with it's tail, if the breed is known for those abnormally strong tails).

*Shrugs* it's one of the reasons I don't go for docked breeds. Personally, I like my dogs to have a tail, and I know I wouldn't find a breeder I am happy with that would leave the tails alone.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...But that's just me. :P Docking is along the same lines to me as coat color. That'd be like me turning down the PERFECT Labrador because it was yellow. Sure, if I could find a black one I'd prefer that, but if the breeder only bred yellows I'd suck it up.

I'm the opposite- I prefer yellow, but if the right black came along I wouldn't say, "No".

Back to the original question- I'm like blackrose- docking/not docking isn't a deal breaker for me. The same with dew claws.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Sit! Good dog.

This isn't about the pros and cons of docking...

This is about what sacrifices you'd make in the face of something you have never wanted, and would go against everything you have ever thought.

Its far more personal than whether its right or wrong to the world. Its about your OWN beliefs.

I really don't think I'd find a breeder in the breed currently who does what this breeder does. And if there are some, I don't know where they are and I know they will dock too.

This is weighing up what is more important...

My own morals/ethics/beliefs vs an outstanding person who does something I don't want.

I'd feel rotten and I'd feel like a hypocrite. But on the flip I'd know I'd have a dog completely ethically and thoughtfully bred. What is more important?!!!

Wahhhhhhhh

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

I totally agree with blackrose on this one. To me it's just a pro/con in why I like the breeder or not, and it has to be weighed along with everything else. If the breeder is otherwise perfect, I would do it. I don't think any breeder is ever going to be 100% perfect or do things exactly how we would like them done and at some point you'll have to compromise.

But then I don't have much of a problem with docking since I've only ever owned docked breeds. I hoped my Welshie would have a tail, and the main breeder I was looking at now keeps tails, but I ended up with a docked pup and I'm fine with that. I would much rather have a dog who is ethically bred with a docked tail, vs one whose breeder isn't breeding dogs I want with the appropriate health testing and working/show titles.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm All Ears

Personally, I'd get the docked dog. And I'm saying that as someone who greatly dislikes docking.