Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I'm willing to wait more than a week. I just don't want that week to be filled with my dog shivering under the bed and the cat crouched just outside the door. That's just not acceptable.

Thankfully this woman is super helpful and would take the cat back under any circumstances as long as the first week seewomanovements, I'm willing to work it out.

(Gwen has lived peacefully with a cat before. He just wasn't totally evil.)
Poor Gwen. Zane knows them feels. Sorta. He did thunderpaw the cat a few times. Just don't lose hope if things aren't or don't seem to be improving after a week. If Gwen knows cats, you just need to find a not evil one. Maybe try setting some yummies up high to foster a "leave the dog alone" attitude?

Kudos to helpful foster woman!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

I just picked up Cassie to do a test run. Although we're pretty sure she'll be staying. She hasn't met Gwen yet. I wanted to give her some time and have SO here before I attempt any introductions.

She spent the first few minutes exploring and then quickly hid for about half an hour. I tried encouraging her to come out, but figured she would eventually come out on her own. She did and is now cautiously exploring and meowing at me. I'm pretty sure she knows there's another being in the house.

Wish us luck! Thanks again for the suggestions.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Wookie Collie

We're on six months of getting Marshall's cats used to Finn (granted, we don't live there yet, just lots of visits). Nowhere near there yet. In fact, Fiora drew blood on him earlier this week! (It was minor. She freaked out, so Finn barked. A claw or a tooth hit its mark.)

But compared to the first few meetings, we're making leaps and bounds. Stan, the older one who HATES Finn, even approached him once. And didn't try and kill him. Legasp.

So, yeah. Adding my voice to the "it can take a long **** time" group.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
We're on six months of getting Marshall's cats used to Finn (granted, we don't live there yet, just lots of visits). Nowhere near there yet. In fact, Fiora drew blood on him earlier this week! (It was minor. She freaked out, so Finn barked. A claw or a tooth hit its mark.)

But compared to the first few meetings, we're making leaps and bounds. Stan, the older one who HATES Finn, even approached him once. And didn't try and kill him. Legasp.

So, yeah. Adding my voice to the "it can take a long **** time" group.
I'm hoping it won't take months. I'm impatient. I can handle it if I have to, though

She was hiding in the litter box for a while so I'm not sure if senses Gwen and is scared? Or just nervous about a new place? Not really sure what to make of it. I don't want to rush things. Internet advice is pretty conflicting....

Fiora is what we've decided to name whatever (female) cat we end up!(Probably from a different source, though.)

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Big Dog

Sometimes it takes a while for a cat to get used to a new place. I have six cats with my two dogs. My males are all fine, I've had them all since they were kittens though. They were terrified of the dogs at first, lots of hissing and back arching but they got used to them quickly.

My two females, Bella (been with us since she was a kitten), and Moon (an older cat we've had for three years now) can tolerate the dogs but will still hiss and run at times. Bella hated the dogs at first. She'd hide everywhere, hiss, growl, spit..but she got used to them...sort of..she's still a b****. When we first took in Moon, I thought she'd never get along with dogs because she was hissing and swatting at them, but she took on quickly after a proper intro.

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Fiona did not forgive me for years for getting dogs....but once she did she was totally fine lol. Odin LOVES dogs but hates change...hid for 6 weeks when we moved and he is a super friendly outgoing cat (like greets people at the door with the dogs)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Fiora is what we've decided to name whatever (female) cat we end up!(Probably from a different source, though.)
Marshall named her after a character in League Of Legends (video game). I don't play LoL so I dunno the reference. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Uh... that's exactly the sane reason. SO and I play League of Legends! Lol!