In Spite of CostCo

The fact that CostCo does not have a plan in place for children bothered me and it has nothing to do with Maggie. Geeze.
Just because they didn't know what an Adam alert was (which is another store entirely's code), it doesn't mean they don't have a plan in place. Heck, just because they didn't tell you they have a code in place doesn't mean they don't have a code in place - it's not something they're going to tell every random member of the public about.

Since they don't have the capability to announce something over a loud speaker,
I suspect they do have the capability. In fact, I'd be astonished in this day and age if they didn't. Perhaps they just elected not to make this announcement for you, for whatever reason.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
But you're disabled (I'm sorry.. that sounds SO rude& I don't mean it rudely, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it) under ADA& it's confirmed by a doctor, correct?

Or else I could just say I have anxiety, train Penn to snuggle me& take her everywhere& no one would be able to say anything because I don't need to have any sort of conformation from a doctor ..which seems really wrong?
Remember that they are answering as people in the US. It's completely different in Canada (and you're more on track for Canada iirc)

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Yes I meant by way of a doctor's note, I am sorry for using the term "certified", I had a brain burp and forgot that it was a loaded word in regards to SD's I myself would be ok with getting her recognized (is that a more appropriate way to say it?) as an ESA if she proves unfit to be a full SD.

I just want to go about this the right way but this my first journey doing this and I am a little embarrassed about it I have gotten every reaction from people who know me well being happy for me to others being all "so that means you're crazy, right?" Or "why do you need an SD you aren't physically disabled!" :/
Yes, "recognized" or "declared" is much better. :)

Saeleofu

But you're disabled (I'm sorry.. that sounds SO rude& I don't mean it rudely, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it) under ADA& it's confirmed by a doctor, correct?

Or else I could just say I have anxiety, train Penn to snuggle me& take her everywhere& no one would be able to say anything because I don't need to have any sort of conformation from a doctor ..which seems really wrong?
I have had a doctor say I'm disabled (I had a note for Gavorche when I had him in no-pets housing as an ESA, and it states I'm disabled in that letter) but the only way to GUARANTEE you're disabled is to have a judge say so...and that's something nobody ever wants to be in the position to have to do. So a doctor agreeing you're disabled is the best you can get, but it's not required, either. What's required is that you are disabled, regardless of who says you are or are not.

Snuggling is not a task. Snuggling is for ESAs. Every place is allowed to ask if the dog is a service dog and what tasks it is trained to do.

It IS easy to fake a service dog, and that's why there is such a problem with fakers. I think eventually, there will be certification, and we'll have fakers to "thank" for it.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
In that case, with people so hating fakers (for obvious reasons. No one likes when people abuse a system) ..would certification be such a bad thing? It could be simple enough- get doctor approval, get dog, train it to mitigate symptoms, submit a claim& be certified! Then fakers wouldn't be the headache they are for you guys& I'm not sure I see the hassle. Especially if part of the law was that it just had to be displayed on your dog at all time ..so it wouldn't even slow you down as far as showing ID. It could be a patch on a vest or hang from the collar.

And I was kidding about snuggling. But she DOES open/ close doors& turn lights on& off. I just mean it seems so easy to fake it that I am amazed by it! I had no idea you didn't require physician diagnosis to have an SD ..also amazed a judge is the one qualified to determine if your disability is legal or not!

Who is going to decide on the requirements for certification, and what happens to you if, as a disabled person, you and your dog are suddenly excluded from those requirements because whoever came up with the list didn't think to include you?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
nothing inherently wrong with fakers, provided the dogs are well behaved. who cares? if the dog isnt hurting anyone, scaring anyone, or shitting in the aisleway, WHO CARES?! attitude and nastiness and the cry for tighter and tighter regulations, THATS what hurting legitimate SD teams, NOT fakers. and if someone has a dangerous dog, fake or legit, they need to be held accountable for the dogs behavior. this has nothing to do with disabilities.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
So in Canada do you basically need a prescription from a doctor for a service dog? I'm reading between the lines a bit here.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
nothing inherently wrong with fakers, provided the dogs are well behaved. who cares? if the dog isnt hurting anyone, scaring anyone, or shitting in the aisleway, WHO CARES?! attitude and nastiness and the cry for tighter and tighter regulations, THATS what hurting legitimate SD teams, NOT fakers. and if someone has a dangerous dog, fake or legit, they need to be held accountable for the dogs behavior. this has nothing to do with disabilities.
Except they're breaking the law and could make it more difficult for real service dog handlers.

Yeah, I have a big problem with faking and lying. I think its selfish and arrogant.

The cry for tighter regulation (which I dont necessarily agree with as I think it can cause problems) is very much because of fakers in many cases.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Except they're breaking the law and could make it more difficult for real service dog handlers.
This.

I used to think this way too before my anxiety got really bad and I was suddenly facing the possible need of a SD and suddenly seeing the other side of things.

So no ... No matter how well behaved they are.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
if the dog is well behaved and appears, on casual inspection, to be legit, who is being hurt by it? you cant say that disabled people are protected and allowed to have SD even if they dont LOOK disabled, and then turn around and kick up such a huge fuss over people that dont look disabled using a SD

Romy

Taxiderpy
if the dog is well behaved and appears, on casual inspection, to be legit, who is being hurt by it? you cant say that disabled people are protected and allowed to have SD even if they dont LOOK disabled, and then turn around and kick up such a huge fuss over people that dont look disabled using a SD
Because unlike a companion dog walking down the street with it's person, a service dog is never under "casual inspection". They are constantly under CLOSE SCRUTINY by everyone you meet. People constantly comment on them, their looks, their behavior, you, and your disability or apparent lack thereof.

Impersonating a disabled SD handler is also a felony with a very steep fine if you get caught.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
But having a fair SD is hurting the people, whether they look it or not. They are just starting to use SD's for soldiers with PTSD, I would hate to see that messed il by a few fakers.

noludoru

Bored Now.
We've had this discussion with you before.

Cue this being a 10-page thread.

Saeleofu

Because unlike a companion dog walking down the street with it's person, a service dog is never under "casual inspection". They are constantly under CLOSE SCRUTINY by everyone you meet. People constantly comment on them, their looks, their behavior, you, and your disability or apparent lack thereof.

Impersonating a disabled SD handler is also a felony with a very steep fine if you get caught.
This. Plus, it's not really fair to subject the general public to a dog that isn't actually necessary. Disabled SD handlers get to use their SDs in stores because it mitigates their disability and gives them independence. This is something the public just has to deal with. SDs are far from common - I very rarely see another SD when I'm out. If SDs were "common" then people wouldn't freak out so bad every time they saw one. Asking people to deal with an impeccably trained dog in a store once in a while for the sake of someone's independence is different than asking them to deal with a store full of "well trained" (or not) pet dogs just because someone wants to take their dog with them for shits and giggles. People with allergies or who are afraid of dogs can currently avoid SDs pretty easily. That's not the case when everyone brings their pet dog to the grocery store with them. What then?

Plus, the whole lying and breaking the law thing. There's that.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Legitimate handlers care because it is breaking the law that protects out rights. It makes others think it's okay. They will bring out their pet dogs. Our dogs end up getting attacked, gatekeepers try to turn us away because the last dog was bad... That's what's wrong with fakers. There's a lot wrong with fakers. It also has a lot to do with disabilities - if you can not physically protect your dog from another, who is going to? The laws are there to KEEP US SAFE. Keep your ****ing pets out of stores they don't belong in.

There are two kinda people who make those kinds of statements, ignorant and arrogant civilians and fakers.

Members online

No members online now.