Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Top Dog

Im sorry, but you were looking for the dogs owners, not her parents, call animal control, they can scan the dog for chips, and its usually the first place people look for their lost pets.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Obey the Toad.

But again, why not go to the store for help first? I get not being allowed to bring the dog into the store and not expecting the store to be locked down, but why not see if they will make an announcement first? Our AC is only operating during 8-4 M-F, no weekends or evenings. When we have found strays in the evening we've gone through the neighborhood looking for the owners, then had no choice but to take them to the police station where they were stuck in a crate until animal control opened. It seems totally logical for me to check the store for the owners before dealing with all that. And as it turns out the owners were at the store, so I'm not seeing the big issue?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I think checking with the store first is fine. If they had and were willing to use a PA system, all the better. But it seemed like there was expectations above and beyond. The store is not wrong or bad for not allowing the dog in.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Taxiderpy

This is in general, not exactly specific to this situation. I am glad this situation had a good ending though.

But:

If it's not possible to bring a stray dog home with you or bring it to a shelter, just drive it to a nearby vet and leave it with them. They can scan it for a chip and might know the owner if it came from nearby. They also have cages/kennels it could be safely held in until AC is able to come get it.

Around here AC won't come out to pick up strays unless they're menacing people. And even when they do, they take hours to show up. I've picked up a lot of stray dogs over the years and never had a vet refuse to hold on to it.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Obey the Toad.

On the way to dog class one Saturday we found a female pit running through traffic. She had no ID but had a rabies tag so I called the vet. We asked if we could bring her there and they said "No we don't do that." They have us the address associated with the tag and we just took her home ourselves. If we had just showed up with her that might have been different though. That's a good thought Romy.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM
orange iguanas.

We don't let people drop strays off with us. We are the impound facility for the city, so a lot of people try. They are told to call animal control, or if the AC officer is off duty, then they have to call the police department and have a cop get the animal. This is not really just some policy we came up with; AC doesn't want strays dropped off, either. But I don't think there is really an issue with our AC officer being slow to respond, she's pretty good.

Guess it's all largely dependent on area.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

In most places they are going to quickly and privately have staff man the entries before announcing a Code Adam. After that they will then announce it over a PA or radio.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

At the vet I worked for, we would accept strays if they could be identified as a dog we treated (by appearance, rabies tag, chip, etc.) but not just any old stray. But we ALWAYS let people come to have a stray scanned for a chip.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It is absolutely unreasonable to bring a STRAY DOG into Costco. It's not even that it's not a service dog, but that it's not even YOUR dog. You have NO IDEA how the dog will react to anything. I'd have your ass so fast if your stray did anything to my service dog (you know, the dog that would be there legally).

Costco cannot legally allow a pet, let alone a stray, into their store. It's against health code. It doesn't matter if you're carrying it or letting it walk or putting it in the cart. It's a stray dog. Treat it like a stray dog, not like a service odg or a child.
Yes, as someone who is working with their doctor to try to get their dog certified as a service dog, or at the very least an emotional support animal, I find it very annoying that you wanted to pass this dog off as a service dog.

now I have expressed annoyance to no dog policies in stores but I have never broken the rules with any dog and taken them in to a store UNLESS I knew the owner and they were okay with it. a lot of the local business in our small town are okay with people bringing their well behaved dogs in.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
dogstrong

DD, again, no such thing as certification lol

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"