Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Admittedly, I like snakes that have like, a head, but of the ones that are streamlined I like hognoses and sand boas the most. Because I agree.... THE CUTE. The little faces of sand boas! And the pretty colors! The baby faces of sand boas! Ahh, so cute. Also PWC has NOT been helping with her sharing of awesome sand boa morph pictures on Facebook.

Those price tags, though. Are they like ball pythons where the normal ones are fairly inexpensive/cheap and the morphs just crazy expensive? And here I was complaining about the purchase price of my carpet python!

ETA: Found the answer to my own question on the web page, finally! OMG this for just $95?? Want!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Admittedly, I like snakes that have like, a head, but of the ones that are streamlined I like hognoses and sand boas the most. Because I agree.... THE CUTE. The little faces of sand boas! And the pretty colors! The baby faces of sand boas! Ahh, so cute. Also PWC has NOT been helping with her sharing of awesome sand boa morph pictures on Facebook.

Those price tags, though. Are they like ball pythons where the normal ones are fairly inexpensive/cheap and the morphs just crazy expensive? And here I was complaining about the purchase price of my carpet python!
Well, sand boas don't really get expensive. You can get a normal for around $40-60ish dollars. I haven't seen many morphs top $500.
For hognoses, the normal I've priced are around $60-90, then you see a lot in the $350-500, and then you get the ridiculous $6,000 anaconda morphs. O.o

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

If I could have any snake I wanted, I would have this.

Or this.

I think I'm getting a snake Feb. 1st.

Now to decide on a setup.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I adore the striped sand boas as well as the normal pattern:

SO PRETTY!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Well, sand boas don't really get expensive. You can get a normal for around $40-60ish dollars. I haven't seen many morphs top $500.
For hognoses, the normal I've priced are around $60-90, then you see a lot in the $350-500, and then you get the ridiculous $6,000 anaconda morphs. O.o
Gah, yeah, sounds like ball pythons. You can pick up a normal for $20 - $40, but then you get into fancy schmancy morphs that cost $10,000, and I'm just here wondering "why?!??". But I'm seeing a lot of cool morphs/colors on the sand boas for under $200, which is really nice! Plus, they're so shiny. Are the adults that shiny, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
I think I'm getting a snake Feb. 1st.

Now to decide on a setup.

Oh those hognoses are too cute! And yay!! Glad you decided to get one, it looks like a few of us on Chaz will be getting snakes around the same time What does a hognose enclosure typically include?

Quote:
I adore the striped sand boas as well as the normal pattern:

SO PRETTY!
Oh I really like the colors and the striping!!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

And a couple pretty Rosy Boas.. because I like them, too…

Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I know, I don't get paying $10,000 for a snake. Obviously the people buying them 99 percent of the time are breeders, but still. It's a snake. If it's a breeding investment, it's certainly a risky one. Especially when people are buying them unproven, or what if it gets sick and dies next week?! That's a lot of eggs in one basket!!

They do stay shiny. Some might lose a bit of that glossy, but for the most part, the adults I have met are all shiny.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

I thought about a Ball, but they're just not particularly active.. I want to see something on occasion. There are some GORGEOUS morphs, I'm a sucker for some of the piebalds… none I'm willing to pay for, though. I just WISH I had $10,000 to drop on a snake!

ETA - anyone seen the Panda Pied Balls? $16,000-$18,000!

http://www.balancedscalesreptiles.ne...ose-care-sheet This is the breeder I spent some time talking to today. Seemed to know his snakes! He had a Woma and a couple Balls as well. (Hindsite, also bad joke warning, I think most guys there had a couple balls… cough.) He was telling me 10 Gallon should be fine for an adult male, 20 gallon might be better for an adult female. All his are started immediately on F/T so I won't have to screw with scenting the pinkies or anything.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I know, I don't get paying $10,000 for a snake. Obviously the people buying them 99 percent of the time are breeders, but still. It's a snake. If it's a breeding investment, it's certainly a risky one. Especially when people are buying them unproven, or what if it gets sick and dies next week?! That's a lot of eggs in one basket!!

They do stay shiny. Some might lose a bit of that glossy, but for the most part, the adults I have met are all shiny.
Yeah, it's hard for me to wrap my head around. I'd be wrapping that snake up in bubble wrap and watching it 24/7. Can you imagine having $10,000 worth of a living, breathing animal?!? Yikes. Not to mention ball pythons can be finicky eaters and go for months without eating at a time. I'd have a heart attack LOL All the more power to breeders, I guess.

That's really neat that they still keep their shine into adulthood! I know there are some snakes that start out really shiny as babies but really dull out as adults, so I'm always curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
I thought about a Ball, but they're just not particularly active.. I want to see something on occasion. There are some GORGEOUS morphs, I'm a sucker for some of the piebalds… none I'm willing to pay for, though. I just WISH I had $10,000 to drop on a snake!

ETA - anyone seen the Panda Pied Balls? $16,000-$18,000!

http://www.balancedscalesreptiles.ne...ose-care-sheet This is the breeder I spent some time talking to today. Seemed to know his snakes! He had a Woma and a couple Balls as well. (Hindsite, also bad joke warning, I think most guys there had a couple balls… cough.) He was telling me 10 Gallon should be fine for an adult male, 20 gallon might be better for an adult female. All his are started immediately on F/T so I won't have to screw with scenting the pinkies or anything.
I actually wanted a bit of a "lap snake" initially, but I was too attracted to the colors of a jungle carpet I'll still get a ball python one day, but you're right, they're really not good display snakes. Which is also unfortunate if you're paying $10,000+ for one LOL

I LOVE pieds, too, and bananas and blue eyed lucies.

@ the bad balls joke. Sometimes I really have to watch myself when I'm talking about balls... "yeah, he also has a few balls on the side" and "yeah, he's got some REALLY nice balls" and "oh I love balls!".

Womas seem pretty cool, I was considering them too but couldn't find many breeders in the area.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

So, they JUST posted this beauty. Be still my heart.