Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Active Pup

Default Where do I begin??

I'm having several issues with a dog I recently found at a shelter- and I have no idea where I'm supposed to even start, so I'll just make a list of them-

1. I've trained my dog to sit, but now, whenever she sees that I have a treat in hand, she'll automatically sit down. Without me ever telling her anything! She sits whenever she wants a treat- so am I supposed to encourage this behavior? How can I teach her to sit on command and now whenever she wants to?

2a. Also, now that we fixed our backyard, we let her roam free. The only problem is, that when we want her to come back inside, she won't! She'll run away from us and even taunt us by coming close to us and running away when we're supposed to. We've tried giving her treats, petting her, whatever we could, but it's just not working! How can I get her to come in when we want her to?

2b. Another problem, is that she'll find lot's of random items that seem to turn up out of nowhere- such as tennis balls, bones, bones, and more bones. I'm afraid that she'll choke on the bones so I've tried to take them away from her but now whenever she finds one, she'll run as if she's running for her life. She knows that I'll take away the bones if I catch her, but I'm only doing this for her own benefit. I've given her treats after confiscating the bones, but she seems to prefer the bones over the treats. What can I do?

3. Also- how can I train my dog to fetch? Whenever she finds an item or when I try throwing a frisbee, she'll catch it and run away- After she's a safe distance, she'll chew on it and I'm afraid that she's eating some of it.

4. How can I stop her from taking off with our shoes?? I tried to tell her that she was wrong by slapping the shoe against the ground and telling her that she was a bad dog, but I don't think it's a very effective way of training her.

I realize that it is a lot of different issues, but I would appericiate any advice or help regarding this matter. THanks :-)

BTW- I believe that she is a min-pin- and she is an absolute angel when she is indoors.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:56 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Here is what I would do..I will start at the bottom and work my way up
first we have a shoe box, it is wooden and we all put our shoes in there until our dog is past the chewing stage.
To teach to fetch..do you have a hallway, you can throw one toy, while holding on to her collar, then turn her the other way and throw another..we call this a double. She will pick up the first one, remember the second and run for it. The trick is to catch her before she gets past you. A hallway is the best place to begin teaching retrieving because there is no where else to go but back to you. My old boss even had a long stretch of grass outside fenced on three sides, an outside hallway for dogs that we had trouble with getting them to return

as to the bones, I would go out and remove all before she has access to them..we need to do a post about the danger of bones..my neighbor needs to read it bigtime for his trash raiding dog...and then find out how they are getting there in the first place. Someone has to be putting them there.
Coming is a trust issue, there are all kinds of ways, from running the other way acting like your having the time of your life, to running a long cord and pulling them to you with loads of praise. Mostly I think it takes time and love so that they come to you out of respect..with a shelter dog that can take awhile, but Vic and I are there now..so I wish you luck
lastly I don't like training with treats..I think it sends the wrong message, and besides the few times I have tried it i lost all their attention to the treat in my hand. The only time I did use it was for sitting pretty. Your love and affection should be all the reward a dog needs..kisses in the ears and telling them they are the best dog ever is the best treat they could get..
all that is just my opinion, but that is what has worked for us..good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Felurian

I think SMKie has given you some excellent advice.

A little trick I've used a few times to convince a dog to come when there was just too much fun she (Kharma!) wanted to have outside is to fake crying. When the dog comes to see what is wrong with you, you lavish the affection and let it think that it has 'saved' you from whatever was upsetting you. Dirty trick, but it works, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Wolfpack

LOL Renee. You're crazy (but in a good way)
Kisses
Nicco

Old 02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Felurian

LOL! Nicco, if I wasn't nuts before, these Filas have made me that way! I swear, you have to stay on your toes all the time with them. I really don't think they're dogs at all - just extremely oversized cats in baggy dog suits.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 05:09 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I use to lay down in the pasture and pretend to be asleep or dead, whatever that pony cared to think I was, but it worked! I couldn't catch her any other way. It worked every time too. I think i came by it by accident the first time, i had chased her until i was winded and dizzy..did you shed a tear the first time and find it worked? When Bronki chewed up my last good pair of jeans that were hanging on the line, i sat down on the deck and had a good cry. He felt so bad, he never did it again.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Felurian

Just crocodile tears . . . I'm amazed Kharma fell for it, since she's the Queen of Trauma Drama, lol! She fakes crying all the time when she wants attention or when she wants me to get after Shiva for playing too rough. She's done it ever since I brought her home - deceitful little wretch!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 PM

LOL, Renee...I used to do the 'crying', too..for both dogs. It worked like a charm for quite awhile. I think they talked........they aren't falling for it anymore. Heaven forbid I am ever REALLY crying for them.......they'll be rolling their eyes. Now I make a high pitched sound.....Ham's big ears can't resist that one yet..and he's still curious. Addie has just matured to come when she's called...my drama bores her.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Top Dog

There was a couple times that i was really crying because I was upset at my boyfriend and Toki came by my side and looks at me and acted like he knew what happened. He also gives me faces that his sad too. It's weird because he only does that when im crying.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Big Dog

lol...Chili wised up to the fake crying act a long time ago when she figured out that everytime I did it I'd snag her! Now I have to lure her with a favorite toy. She can't resist her stuffed animals, and I'll hold it up in the air for her. When she jumps for it, I catch her in midair!

About the question of how to get a dog to act on command...I have wondered about this myself. I was watching a show on television one day about some prison inmates who were training dogs. They were instructed to use a clicker of some sort to click whenever the dog performed the behavior. Then after they clicked they gave the dog the treat. Somehow the dogs were supposed to associate that click with performing the correct behavior rather than just the treat. I told my husband that I wish we had a clicker to use for Chili.