Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I got my nikon D40 on my 17th birthday... so about 5,5 years ago. The AF on my 18-55mm started to go about 1,5 years ago. It just wouldn't work and would make (it still does) clacking noises and not take a picture. I'd have to turn it off and on again a few times, then it would be fine. Still takes amazing pictures for an entry level camera. Though I did get frusterated with it (and it's size).
So, this year I switched to a canon (uhoh!!). I also switched from a DSLR to a compact systems camera. Which, IMO takes better quality pictures than my old DSLR. I have the canon eos m, its so much smaller than my Nikon D40 with all the perks and more.

Taken with the Nikon D40:

Taken with the canon Eos m:

I also feel that canons in general takes "warmer" pictures in lower lighting, esp. when doing portraits.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

Congrats on the new camera. These are a couple of awesome shots

I'm happy with my Nikon D800 & dont think of trading it for any other camera

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

I shoot with a Canon 1D Mark III, so Canon is my "thing".

I just happened to start with a Canon (I had a Rebel T1i), so I stuck with it when I upgraded. I think both brands can take amazing shots, I just prefer Canon
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I used to shoot with a canon when I did film photography. When I switched over to digital I ended up getting a Nikon D60 because there was a great deal on it. I was super impressed with the quality but it did crap out on me after 4 years. I can still take photos with it, but it's a pain in the ass now and needs repairs.

I ended up purchasing another camera recently and wouldn't you know it I grabbed another Nikon. It's a D5100 and I absolutely love it. It is budget friendly since I can't afford full frame right now, but it takes really good quality images and is a blast to shoot.

My dad recently switched from Nikon to canon and seems to really enjoy canon as well. He sticks with sport photography mostly and said he seems to get better action with his canon but loves the color you get on Nikon.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

I think both companies make a good enough product to keep most people happy My cousin shoots Nikon and loves it. She's way more into photography than I am.

I shoot canon, because it's what I know and have always had good luck with them. Almost all my previous point and shoots were canon and When I was in school I used to shoot hockey and soccer games for a guy that was outfitted with canons.

I really got used to shooting them and one weekend there were so many things going on he had to rent equipment and I had to shoot a Nikon. I don't know what models I had, this was over 10 years ago. But we had canon 1d's and this was the Nikon equivalent.

I had about half the keep rate from that weekend as normal. Was it because of the equipment? Probably not, I was just more familiar with the other stuff, but to me it seemed the focus and tracking was much better with the Canon. So when I was looking recently for a DSLR I went with Canon and am very satisfied with that purchase.

Since then I've learned a lot and some lenses have certain focus issues with both brands. but normally the quality of picture is dependent on the person taking them

Both brands are pretty high quality, even at a consumer level.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

I honestly haven't heard good things about the D3100... I don't know if maybe it was just a weak model?

I'd had my D60 for about 2 years before sellig, and my D5000 now for about 5? No issues came up with either, yet. *knocks on wood*

Honestly though, I dated a wedding photographer for a little while, and I really liked his Canon gear. It pains me to say it, but when I upgrade again, I am likely going Canon. It just felt better, I liked the options on his more compared to the same model Nikon, etc.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

I use and like Nikon. My first DSLR was the Nikon D90, which I used up until it was about 2 1/2 years old and it still worked perfectly. I really loved everything about it, and as far as automatic point and shooting goes, I still prefer the D90 to the D7000, which I have now. I bought the D7000 used but not sure how old it is. I've had it for 6 months and it is also as good as new. I've been very happy with the Nikons that I've had, including both camera bodies and camera lenses!

I chose Nikon because I liked the way it felt better, and because most of the photographers on the dog forums were using Nikon at the time. I'm sticking with Nikon because now that I have all these lenses that I love, I can't imagine going through the effort to switch to Canon. Plus, I don't ever see myself being able to afford the L lenses and I think I do prefer the lower end lens selection from Nikon and their quality to Canon's lower end lenses.

What I've seen from many professional Nikon shooters is that they typically produce really vivid, vibrant, sharp photographs. The photographers I watch who shoot with Canon produce more natural looking colors with a certain soft/smooth feel that is hard to replicate or even pinpoint (and that's not to say the images aren't sharp, because they are). Obviously editing will play a large role but I've found it an interesting pattern between Nikon and Canon shooters.

If I ever upgrade, I'll stick with Nikon. If I were starting over... I don't know. Canon would be worth looking into, but I like Nikon just fine, especially the lens selection for my own budget. I will say that if I were a family/lifestyle/newborn/wedding photographer, I would be strongly inclined to go with Canon. I'm starting to like the vintage film look more, which (for some reason) I imagine goes better with Canon than with Nikon. Not sure why though, so I might be completely.

Regarding focus and tracking, I am not a fan of what my D7000 has to offer. The multiple focus points I have to choose from are nice, but when it's on auto the focus/tracking really is disappointing. I liked my D90 better in that respect, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have also heard complaints about focus from Canon Mark II and Mark III users, though. Guess it just depends!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

I have had my Nikon D80 since early Oct and I really like it. I bought mine used from a photographer friend. It is the camera she started her business with in 2007 or 2008 and I know it was still her her main camera when she shot my wedding in 2009. So, assuming Martha was purchased new in 08, she's on year 5 or 6 and still going strong. I really like the camera and don't have any issues with it. It is my first DSLR and a good step up from my point and shoots.

Quote:
I have a 7000 now and it works ok, but I still honestly miss my 50 the most, with the 80 in a very close second.
I'm coming to CO so we can swap cameras for the day.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Zoom, I have a D50 I will happily sell you.

My photography is fairly crappy and I know it's me. I took a class to help build my skills... It seems the class was 50/50 with the split. I think it's really just preference. But, it does seem sports/action tends to have more canon lovers and landscape/portrait more Nikon.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I've got a Canon Rebel XTi. I got it quite awhile ago... I think I've had it for 7 or 8 years now. I have two lenses, the one that came with it (18-55mm) and I also got a 70-200mm 4.0 L about 5-6 years ago. I do not use it heavily, especially not in the winter, but I do use it. I do not take any special care of it but I am careful with it (making sure it doesn't get bumped, dropped, etc.). It still works well... I've had no problems with it and this thread is making me nervous!

I got a Canon because that is what I used first. I took a photography course in high school and my teacher let me use her personal camera which was a Canon Rebel (film camera) and I got really used to it, so when my mom decided to buy me one for Christmas I immediately gravitated to the Canon Rebel since there was really no learning curve. My point and shoot is also a Canon and I got it about a year after my Rebel. My very first camera ever was a little Canon Elf film point and shoot that I bought with my own money as a kid. So I guess I'm a Canon girl.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017