Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Default Canon or Nikon

I know this can become a very heated debate (at least, it can on photography forms), but I am in no ways looking to start an argument. I'm only wanting to hear your preference and your reasons behind it.

Long story short, my beloved Nikon D3100 is on it's last leg. The lens (18-55mm Nikkor) is going as well. This is pretty frustrating for me, since I've only had it a bit over two years and I take immaculate care of it. It's used daily, but is never dirty/wet/dropped/ect. I loved it hugely before it started to go, and I love the feel of it in my hands.
But if this is how Nikon's products are, I'm not comfortable dropping that much money every two years or so. Is this a common issue (it'd cost more to fix the camera than to buy a new one, FWIW) with Nikon, or did I just get a dud?

For those of you who use Canon, why do you prefer it? For those that use Nikon, how has yours held up? For those who've used both, what are the major differences you've noticed?

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Oh wow, that's sad I can't imagine of mine died. But I haven't heard of a lot of people having problems with either nikon or cannon. Do you only have the one lens?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Aware

What's up with it? My D3100 has been starting to have issues as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Yes, just the one lens. The AF on it is starting to go, and I almost always use AF. BEtween kids and dogs, I don't have enough hands to use manual.

The lens AF is going, the clarity isn't what it used to be, the flash doesn't work (not that I used it, but it was a nice option), every setting but action (in high enough light to not need flash) and auto/no flash make what I'm assuming is the flash discharge inside the camera; it makes a very odd popping sound and smells like burning plastic when you use the other settings.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Got Floof?

It is normal for entry level cameras go start to go bad after a couple years. It usually needs some maintenance, just like cars, computers, and so on.

There is no real difference between Canon and Nikon in terms of quality. Lots of people feel strongly about their brand but there are always people like that.

Simply put, pick a brand, buy high quality lens, and stick with that brand. Switching costs more in the long run.

I am however surprised your lens is going bad. Are you certain? Lens usually can last decades of moderate use. That is true of both companies.

I was a Nikon user. The only reason I have a Canon is because I upgraded to full frame and my Nikon lens wouldn't work. So I just went with the company offer the best discount at the time.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Silence, peasants.

I have friends that like both, I would say try them both out and go with what appeals to you more, if you're thinking of switching. FWIW some lenses are known to have AF problems, I've heard the canon 50mm f/1.4 is one of them. Sure enough, mine's AF broke and I had to send it in to get it repaired. I have a Canon 7D body, I bought it off someone who had gotten it four years ago and barely used it before putting it in storage, because it was too much camera for them. So far, so good.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

I've had Nikons since 2008, so only six years. I loved my D40. The only reason I sold it was because it wasn't good in low light at all and I had no choice but to buy autofocus lenses for it because the body didn't have an internal focus motor. But it was a fantastic camera and I still regret selling it. Then I bought a D90 and hated it. Mine was a lemon and had issues from the get go. I thought it was me, so I never returned it in time, but I wish I had. It didn't focus properly, was slower than it should have been, etc. Now I have a D7000 and really like it. I think I liked my D40 more still for some reason, but I can't complain about my D7000 and will not be upgrading from it unless something happens. I think I've had it for two years now and it still works the same way now as when I got it. No problems at all.

With that said, my brother had a Canon for a while and while I wasn't very good at using it because the controls are in such different places than Nikons and I wasn't used to it, I felt like it was a faster, more accurate camera than any of my Nikons. Eventhough I was inept at using it I had more success more frequently capturing clear, crisp action with his Canon (I think it was a Rebel T2i) than I do my current Nikon. Not sure why. I wish I'd had the chance to play around with it more before get got rid of it (now he has a Pentax that oddly, I've yet to use. He loves it though.).

I didn't buy Nikon because I was partial to the brand and can't really comment on which I feel is really better. I bought my first Nikon because 1) most of Chaz seemed to have Nikons at the time and I liked the image quality and 2) it was on sale. Then by the time I sold that one and got different ones, I already had Nikon lenses, so that's why I've stuck with the brand.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Wookie Collie

Everyone's got their loves for their brand. I have a Canon entry-level DSLR that's been going strong since 2008 with only one repair for the shutter. I've left it out in the rain overnight once, and it's fallen in dog water bowls twice. Each time, an overnight burial in rice and it was good as new, so there's that.

My friend Paul and his brother Kevin makes this excellent web series on the differences between two specific Nikon and Canon DSLRs. Might teach you a thing or two, and everyone should watch it anyway because it's **** good for a laugh. (warning: They're a tad vulgar at times, haha.)

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJA39DJSSk

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMF7-No7Sko

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

I've had my Nikon D5000 for over three years, still with just the kit lens (18-55) and I use it pretty constantly. It still works as well as it did the first day.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Twin 2.0

I had my Nikon D50 for years and even with all the abuse I put it through, it was fantastic. I upgraded to a D80 because I needed a few more gadgets and such. That camera met an untimely end via gravity and a set of stairs. I have a 7000 now and it works ok, but I still honestly miss my 50 the most, with the 80 in a very close second.

I have a feeling that your lens is working fine, it's the camera that is causing issues. Nikon is known for their lenses.

I know plenty of people that shoot Canon and will never switch, so it really comes down to personal preference. I feel--and Nolu agrees--that Nikons have better color.