Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Default Do your dogs mark over others?

I'm curious... Do your dogs mark? If yes, do they mark over other dogs? If yes, do they mark over all other dogs or only some? Do they mark over pack mates?

This came to mind as I have noticed something interesting. Summit has always been a marker. That is what he spends 90% of his time doing when we go hiking or walking. If we go to the dog park and he sees another dog mark something he will inevitably trot over and mark over top of it.

We hike regularly with my good friend and her dog, a young intact lab who has just started to mark. Summit and Cole obsessively mark over top of one another. If my landlord comes over with their GSD, the next time I let Summit out he goes around the backyard marking over every spot where Diesel peed. There's a guy who rents the basement of our house, and he has a little female mutt. Summit will mark over her as well in the backyard. But he NEVER marks over Kili. Ever. Mind you, she doesn't really mark. She just pees all in one spot. But still, Summit never marks over top of a spot where she has gone.

I just thought it was interesting that the "pack" or family unit is very well defined. Even though we share territory with another dog, he still knows she is not a part of our unit. Even thou we walk almost weekly with my friend's dog and spend a lot of time at each other's houses... Cole is also not a member of this pack.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

For years I've only had females, but Harley, my sweet Rottie, used to do this in particular with one dog. They'd spend like a freaking hour taking turns peeing on the same bush.
Harley wasn't usually a marker (heck, he squatted until he was 4), but he marked car tires later in life and then had this little obsession with the aforementioned dog.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Big Dog

My two will wait for the other one to pee. Whoever goes first gets theirs marked over and then it's back and forth marking for a few minutes. They both have to be the last to mark the spot, but Rocky generally gives up first to come inside and Baxter will only come in after he's marked the spot one last time for good measure.

When we go for walks, Baxter is the main marker. If he sees a dog marking he obsesses over the spot until he can get to it. Rocky really doesn't care, unless Baxter marks the spot.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Twin 2

Ooooh you mean over other dogs pee, not on other dogs.....not that Traveler would ever do something like that....

Traveler marks over others pee including Didgie's. Didgie doesn't mark at all yet(?) though.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Buck and Phoebe don't mark that I've noticed. Sparky will try and mark over Buck most of the time, and then Oscar will almost get peed on (in fact, he has gotten peed on once or twice) by Sparky because he is in such a hurry to mark over him...

Sparky is an old fart, and has gotten to the point where he isn't as obsessed by marking as he once was. Oscar MUST BE THE LAST TO PEE!!! And gets very upset if there have been any dogs around that he does not believe belong in the area.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Watson marks all the time everywhere. He obsessively makes over his best friend dog, but will mark over anyone and everyone. It takes a lot of work to keep him from marking in training facilities and twice he stopped in the middle of a tunnel to mark over another dog (it had been cleaned up but the trainer confirmed he wasn't the first one).

He's in a marking war with the neighborhood bobcat now. The bobcat pooped on our little bridge over our creek and Watson peed over it. Today I saw that the bobcat had pooped again in the exact same spot and Watson had to pee over him again. Lol

He's an intact adolescent boy, so he's also obsessed with smelling the ground where other dogs have been sitting and licking spots where they peed. He's so gross.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Silence, peasants.

Feist marks a ton, when I let her out in the morning she must pee on all the things. She has ever since she came home as a wee baby. There's a reason she has the nickname queen bitch, ahahaha.

Wesley still barely lifts his leg, let alone marks anything. It's kind of funny, Wesley acts like a giant teddy bear and Feist acts like a dog. I was so surprised when she first rolled in something.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Yep, my three older ones do. Keira just started marking this year. Why, at six years old, I have no idea haha. She's become really bitchy in general this past year though so maybe she was just super late to mature. I don't know lol. Ripley marks too. Dance is ridiculous about marking. Way worse than most male dogs I've been around.

Journey thankfully does not. I hope she never really does! It's not like it's a problem, but it can be kind of annoying sometimes.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer does. Then she must kick dirt all over the place as well. Summer is a badass.

This has also led to Summer peeing on Mia's head on multiple occasions. Mia pees then goes to smell her pee then Summer hikes her leg on the pee and pees on Mia's head.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno marks and yes if she's out in the yard with the other dogs, it's not uncommon for her to pee on top of where the other dog just peed.

She sometimes turns into a marking fool when she's at the dog park. Pee on ALL the blades of grass.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013