Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Default If you could do anything

Obviously the store is too far from our house and Ben and I get into the strangest discussions. This is kind of a spin off of the thread I started the other day, 'do what you love.'

In today's discussion, if you were independently wealthy and could do whatever you wanted, what would you do? Ben is trying to figure out what he would do. I told him that I would start a fuzzy-herdy dog rescue. But in reality, I would love to own a large(ish) dog sport complex. Have a dock diving pool, a heated/indoor area for winter training & events, an outdoor area for Barn Hunts, another outdoor, grassy area for summer, outdoor events, maybe some pens to do herding. I would, of course, have to bring in outside trainers for any training events because i'm a terrible trainer. So, what I really want is an old horse farm and turn the arenas & what-not into dog things.

So what would you do? Would you open a soup kitchen? Maybe start a wind-farm? Maybe you'd just buy a yacht and sail around the ocean. Or become a hermit and live in the mountains.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Hire a trainer to live with me and enforce the rules I try to set for my dogs

I would move to a house with land, get a couple horses, have a huge indoor training area just for me. I'd stop working and just take classes forever. Buy some ridiculous cars and other motorized vehicles.

And build Megan her own house on my land, but I think that would be a given?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Got Floof?

I would hike the entire world, with a dog by my side. As he got older, and in between hiking trips, I'd retreat to a large hobby farm with hired hands to help keep it operational while I'm away.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would have lots of land. I'd leave part of it wooded and cut horse trails through it, and the rest would be devoted to horses, livestock, and homestead style farming.

I would have a 10 to 15 stall horse barn for my own horses and board horses in what stalls I had left. There would be an outdoor arena and plenty of turnout. I would like to raise a variety of heritage breed livestock on pasture, and have a largish "market garden" in addition to growing my own hay.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I would like to raise a variety of heritage breed livestock on pasture
I'd totally have a few goats (breed still up in the air), dexter cattle, and a few chickens.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I told him that I would start a fuzzy-herdy dog rescue. But in reality, I would love to own a large(ish) dog sport complex. Have a dock diving pool, a heated/indoor area for winter training & events, an outdoor area for Barn Hunts, another outdoor, grassy area for summer, outdoor events, maybe some pens to do herding. I would, of course, have to bring in outside trainers for any training events because i'm a terrible trainer. So, what I really want is an old horse farm and turn the arenas & what-not into dog things.

I like your idea.. though I'd like fenced, mildly hilly, grassy fields for lure coursing, racing and free running, an indoor complex for agility, an area for barn hunt, and a heated indoor pool for therapeutic swimming and dock diving!

Also, in a non-dog related dream, I'd like to have a winery with acres of locally grown vines and a gorgeous venue with an old (but updated inside) barn for weddings and events.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Build my dream house (not huge, but nice and set up the way I want) on 15 or so acres. Add in a gorgeous indoor agility ring with indoor turf footing and climate control. Full set of new equipment. Bathroom, dog grooming room, locker room with labeled lockers for my friends. Small kitchen, cameras in all four corners so you could tape and review training sessions without help or moving tripods.

Little two stall barn for Tristan to retire in, and I'd get him a grey pony for a friend, thus fulfilling both his fantasy and my childhood dream.

Small guest house a bit away from my house with its own fenced in yard and dog door, small kitchen, washer/dryer. I would use it to entice a few of my favorite trainers to come a couple of times a year and do lessons with a small group of people. It would also have a big parking area with room and hookups for an RV for those who prefer to travel that way.

The house would have a great set up for my dogs, with the downstairs dog room opening to a large covered outdoor kennel, which in turn would open to a large fenced in yard. The other side of the downstairs would have a smaller dog room with a similar set up outside, so I could foster dogs for my friend's rescue but keep them separate from mine while I was out of the house.

I'd also buy a nice, medium sized RV for trials.

And the best part? My friends would all have keys to my training building, and a lot of people would very distinctly not have keys

Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
But in reality, I would love to own a large(ish) dog sport complex. Have a dock diving pool, a heated/indoor area for winter training & events, an outdoor area for Barn Hunts, another outdoor, grassy area for summer, outdoor events, maybe some pens to do herding. I would, of course, have to bring in outside trainers for any training events because i'm a terrible trainer. So, what I really want is an old horse farm and turn the arenas & what-not into dog things.
This, pretty much . Along with carefully thought out boarding and daycare. Somewhere warm.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Puppy Dog

I would love to run a cat rescue/sanctuary in a big, beautiful old building with hardwood floors and a fairly open floor plan. Crazy shelving units, cubbies, and walkways... There's a place like this in Michigan, and I think it's the most incredible house I've been in and/or seen.

On a smaller scale, I'd like to have a doggie hospice in my own home. In both cases, I'd be able to afford to support a vet and vet care... and hire regular caretakers/cleaners until I had a good volunteer base.

I've also always wanted a burro and a few goats, so I'd have those. And hire someone to clean up after them.

So really, my dream is to play with animals all day without having to be responsible for the dirty work.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
But in reality, I would love to own a large(ish) dog sport complex. Have a dock diving pool, a heated/indoor area for winter training & events, an outdoor area for Barn Hunts, another outdoor, grassy area for summer, outdoor events, maybe some pens to do herding. I would, of course, have to bring in outside trainers for any training events because i'm a terrible trainer. So, what I really want is an old horse farm and turn the arenas & what-not into dog things.
This is pretty much exactly what I would do: Canine Sports Center.
Ideally I would want room for at least one full agility ring including the ability to host trials, both indoor and out. A pool for Dock Diving and general swimming. And of course if there's room for an agility ring, I would have room for disc training and flyball too - and pet/obedience stuff.
Also a small area for DIY bathing and grooming. Potentially a small retail space for some higher quality foods and a handful of training toys and gear.
No daycare or boarding though. Just a training center. Group training, private lessons (I'd need a staff of trainers in a variety of sports), and ring rental as well for working on your own.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog