Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Cohen is adorable, I love her little twist.

Lola seems to be getting the hang of sit pretty/put two feet on stick and scrabble at it. But I can't seem to get her to put her paws around the stick. I'm pretty awful at shaping so that's probably why lol. I'll upload video in a bit.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

I've switched out the stick to a stuffed animal but Bayleigh is convinced she's only supposed to rest her feet on top of it rather than hold it. I'm working with her! No video tonight though.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Hahaha, the "Meerkat" thing is Zooms fault. She's the one that started calling Indy a "laser eyed lemur/meerkat cross" I believe, so when we started working on her core, I just called it meerkat.

Wait til you hear her play dead command

Everyones doing really good with this one! We've got a lot of people participating in this trick, that's awesome.

I'm trying to teach all of them to perch on me/backstall. Not going so well, akshully.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Sorry about the PJ's, but that seems to be a common theme here
At this point I'm suspicious of anyone who DOESN'T train in PJs. She looks good!

Onyx is catching on fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Feist can't hold a sit pretty on her own yet so we are working on hugging my leg
I like how she's actually grabbing on.

Not-training greyhound is filled with woe. I'm impressed with sit-pretty greyhound.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Not-training greyhound is filled with woe. I'm impressed with sit-pretty greyhound.
lol. Summit would seriously question my sanity if I ever tried to get him to sit pretty! He'll barely sit now as he gets older and it has never been comfortable for him. But don't worry... he gets plenty of treats for just sitting on his bed. The woe-face is permanent (my co-workers call him Eeyore).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM
such sights to show you

Nobody can sad-eyes like a greyhound. Nobody.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Twin 1

Everyone is doing great! Cohen is just ridiculously adorable.

Here's where we are right now:

Before I can start the next session, I have to make up my mind whether I want him to keep holding it out or start hugging it to him.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Well, I'm a little stuck. We can't seem to get past the point we were at... which is more than a few seconds. Not sure how to help her hold the position. I'll probably give it a rest for a day or two... maybe she's a little sore from all the core work. lol.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
Well, I'm a little stuck. We can't seem to get past the point we were at... which is more than a few seconds. Not sure how to help her hold the position. I'll probably give it a rest for a day or two... maybe she's a little sore from all the core work. lol.
When I was teaching Squash to sit pretty, one tip I got that helped a LOT is that it can be harder for big dogs to build duration so can help them by standing BEHIND them sort of bracing their back with your legs, and lure backwards over their head. You're essentially spotting them, and that way they can learn the balance without being afraid of falling. Then you can slowly move to the front.

It worked great for Squash. I never had to do it that way for Maisy because she's so little.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
When I was teaching Squash to sit pretty, one tip I got that helped a LOT is that it can be harder for big dogs to build duration so can help them by standing BEHIND them sort of bracing their back with your legs, and lure backwards over their head. You're essentially spotting them, and that way they can learn the balance without being afraid of falling. Then you can slowly move to the front.

It worked great for Squash. I never had to do it that way for Maisy because she's so little.
Well, I might go back to that. I originally was going to try to teach it with her between my legs, but she kept flipping around trying to face me, so I went to the front and that worked better. Maybe now that she has an idea of what I want I can go back behind her. I'll give it a try.