Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Silence, peasants.

For people struggling with getting from a touch to a wrap around grab, what really helped Feist was me wiggling my leg a bit so she would steady it by grabbing all the way. Just a thought.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm All Ears

I wonder if my pole was too narrow. Every time Mia would wrap around it she'd fall. Or maybe it was too slippery. I should have put a towel around it like I see some people do.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

To be honest HOLDING the toy not in Sloans mouth will be trick enough, impulse control. LOL

So... we did a third session today but I didn't video it. She'll hold with my support for a while now but when the object is free, sliding, falling, she abandons ship.

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
For people struggling with getting from a touch to a wrap around grab, what really helped Feist was me wiggling my leg a bit so she would steady it by grabbing all the way. Just a thought.
Sloan thought hugging my leg was too weird. :/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Twin 1

Sloan is doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
All of your cute huggy dogs are making me jealous!!! I think I'm going to give this a go while I'm sitting here bored at the clinic today. Zuma is here, so she'll be the lucky experiment.
I demand video proof.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

I don't have video proof, but I do have Hudson targeting an ice scraper with his paw. This is a big step for us since we have not worked on targeting things, at all.

Funny story, we first started with it just laying on the floor and him messing with it. It kind of morphed into him doing something that resembles and play-bow mixed with a pounce. Things get crazy here.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

Woo-hoo! I think Gusto and I had a little bit of a breakthrough by changing up how I was asking for the behavior. I had been clicking him in a sit pretty, putting his front feet on the bar. The issue I was having was that he was either leaning on it (because it was there, not because he needs the support normally) or flat out throwing his feet at it. There was no way I could have held it off the ground - I needed to press it into the ground or it would swing away. I was waiting for the feet to wrap around a bit and clicking that.

Instead, what I started doing was asking for the sit pretty directly behind the pole, and luring him with the treat to lean around the pole for his reward. He's not leaning on the pole at at really, but what is happening is that often he winds up with the pole tucked in between his elbow and chest, and his entire foreleg wrapped around it a bit. Not tight enough to hold, but far more what I'm looking for.

I'm giving him a break, but can't wait to see if this keeps moving in the right direction later! It's the first time since he started using his front feet to target the pole that I feel like we've taken a step forward with this trick!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Kind of a terrible video, because I still can't figure out what I did with my real video camera, but a little bit of an idea as to what I started doing. I really think it is a step in the right direction? Right now I'm still manipulating him with the treat to get the arm wrap, but he's actually holding himself up rather than throwing his weight at the pole and digging. I'm hoping some well timed clicks will start to get at least one leg wrapping more tightly. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the other one at the same time...we will see.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Here are videos from tonight. I think they both have the right idea. Bayleigh's taken to grabbing it with her mouth and I'm probably clicking the wrong thing. I think I'll go back to the basics with her a few more times before switching back to the toy.

This is Pirate's second try. He got the hang of it right away but he gets too excited and distracted easily. I started him with the bear rather than the stick but I think I'll go back to basics with him too. I'll use the stick this time.

Any other suggestions? Oh, and you probably want to turn your volume down or off. I have a couple cry babies in the background.

Jolly Roger's Copper "Penny" - 05/08/13
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Why are photobucket pictures so big all of a sudden?