Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Squash looks awesome! He's definitely getting the idea of putting his paws around the pole, which is where we are stuck. Good job Polar Bear.

Here's Lola's second.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
such sights to show you

That's where Maisy and Pip are stuck, too. They do exactly what Lo's doing*, they'll get good duration with both paws on, but they aren't wrapping their paws around. Squash is just sort of... grabby, so it was an easy thing to capture with him.

*Except Lo is more adorable.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Well, at least we are stuck with great company!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Oh, man. When I first started watching Boone I was like OMG THAT IS MAISY. Including the starting to paw from across the room, lol. He looks really good!
Pretty much every time I see a video of Maisy, I'm like OMG THAT IS BOONE. So I understand. lol

For those having trouble with getting dogs to wrap their paws around (read: those without a polar bear), have you tried using a wider object? It's a little easier to mark the correct position of their paws.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM
The Monster.

I think I remember running into the same problem (paws not wrapping). It was a tough one to deal with. Try repositioning your body so you mix it up a bit. I think I even went so far as to physically move Cohen's paws so they wrapped. You could try a slicker pole too, or holding the pole at a different angle.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

All of your cute huggy dogs are making me jealous!!! I think I'm going to give this a go while I'm sitting here bored at the clinic today. Zuma is here, so she'll be the lucky experiment.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Drat, I came here hoping someone had discovered the magic answer for getting the dogs to actually "hug" the object, but it looks like I'm stuck where most people are. Gusto will double-paw the pole, and will sit pretty with both feet resting on it, but won't wrap around it at all. I think he's maybe leaning on it some, which is odd because he's got great duration on in independent sit pretty. I'll have to video, if I can find my real video camera. I tried to use my phone to video, but it was too dark in the room.

Which is a real shame, because there were some stellar moments. I tried to capture a picture and lighten it up enough to see. In case it is hard to tell, this is Gusto, backed up the pole with his tail pointing straight up, and me trying to decide if I should laugh or cry.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I started only clicking when Sloan grips the bar, around with her wrist bent, it helps BUT she keeps pulling it to her chest and then it falls an she falls and I cry.

Le Sigh.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

I started training Pirate tonight. I tried to tape it but realized my battery was dead. I thought I'd skip the stick and just go straight to the stuffed animal with him. That worked pretty good but I went back to the stick after a few minutes.

Bayleigh will now grab and hold the stuffed animal for a few seconds before she drops it. She's so cute and just started using her mouth like Cohen. lol
Jolly Roger's Copper "Penny" - 05/08/13
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm All Ears

I just did session 1 on this. I know I'm behind. I was going to film but no battery in my camera. I wish I had because Summer's path to realizing I wanted her to go for the pole and not the base of the swiffer was freaking hilarious. Ah well.

Summer is standing on her back legs and gripping the pole with her feet, but she's not wrapping her arms around the pole at all. She'll put her feet on both sides then hold it that way. I think I'm going to try adding the object in and see if that makes it easier for her to grab.

Mia falls down a lot. She will jump up then start scratching frantically at the pole with both feet. I'm trying to click for slower scratches but she hasn't figured out to just put her feet on it and be still.

Funny, the perch one was so easy for Mia and hard for Summer but this one is going the other way.

Also, mine aren't sitting pretty, they're on their back legs. I'm not sure if that will work but Summer can balance ridiculously long on her back legs.