Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

So I asked the girls at work to order me a "big bag of Benny Bullies" (dehydrated liver treats). We order in 500 g bags for clinic use because we have cookie jars all over the hospital filled with these treats (we also sell much smaller bags to clients). Anyway... imagine my surprise on Tuesday when the order came in.

Ha ha... okay, I guess if you want to get technical... this is the largest bag we can order so this is technically correct. I really just wanted a 500g bag not a 1.5 kg bag. Oh well. dogs are happy!

And here is more work on the sit pretty. I am experimenting with allowing her to put her feet on me or having me hold her feet to help stabilize her. Most of the time though she's actually using me A LOT. I'm not sure that's good. On the other hand maybe it will allow her to build her core muscles and improve her balance and if I slowly wean away how much I allow her to use me... it'll come. Don't know. I was also trying to sneak in behind her here but she really does not appreciate that for some reason.

On the bright side... there is no air between her butt and the ground in these videos! I think that's good. If she can get her butt right on the ground she will have more surface area to balance on.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Twin 1

Krissy, I think it might be harder and take longer weaning her off of balancing against you that way. When you're behind them and letting them lean against you, you take some of the strain off of them but they still have to work at balancing. I think that, or the peanut butter trick, would build up her endurance faster and be easier to move away from later.

That being said, I think it's awesome you've even gotten as far with her as you have! And I haven't been able to watch the latest video since I'm on my phone. Just throwing my .02 in!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffStuff View Post
Krissy, I think it might be harder and take longer weaning her off of balancing against you that way. When you're behind them and letting them lean against you, you take some of the strain off of them but they still have to work at balancing. I think that, or the peanut butter trick, would build up her endurance faster and be easier to move away from later.

That being said, I think it's awesome you've even gotten as far with her as you have! And I haven't been able to watch the latest video since I'm on my phone. Just throwing my .02 in!
I agree but I cannot lure her up from behind. She actually has a minor freak out. I MAY be able to convince her to allow me to slip in behind her once she's up like I was attempting to do in the video, but I don't think she will pop up with me starting behind her. She will not go for the peanut butter on a spoon (well spatula... I don't have a wooden spoon) as I already tried that. Dunno. She's a freak.

ETA: not trying to shoot down everyone's ideas. Just haven't had much success with these two particular ideas so far. I appreciate the suggestions!

Last edited by krissy; 01-09-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Twin 2

Krissy, one last idea! Do you think you could try going back and shaping it?

That's how I taught Didgie Sit Pretty and because of that I didn't need to lure her so she wasn't dependent on staying up while eating the treat. And that way her duration increased pretty naturally because she stayed up as long as she could. I still used reward placement just so she wasn't dropping down to get the treat at the end but I kept my hands down until that point.

Otherwise I say try with the spoon and maybe against a wall instead of having her hold onto you.

And, seriously, great job so far!!

ETA: I just wanted to add I personally almost think shorter reps by herself help more than holding her. I noticed with my dogs that when I helped them they got very sloppy and lazy fast. So even if it's while she's eating the treat she's doing it all by herself and having to keep really good form.

Last edited by Linds; 01-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
ETA: I just wanted to add I personally almost think shorter reps by herself help more than holding her. I noticed with my dogs that when I helped them they got very sloppy and lazy fast. So even if it's while she's eating the treat she's doing it all by herself and having to keep really good form.
Agreed. When I first taught Tempie, she was pretty young and not well-conditioned, so we did a TON of short reps before she got strong enough to hold the position. I did maneuver her occasionally so that she was leaning back against the side of the couch to help get the idea of holding the position longer, but I made sure most of what we did kept her balancing on her own even if it was only for a second.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Ok, well then we'll just do it the way we were. I just wasn't sure if we were supposed to e making progress... 'Cause we're totally not. But if that's reasonably normal then that's cool!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Twin 1

Yeah, I thought you were doing great!

Also, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm telling you what to do... I've never trained a dog with that kind of build. Boone is long and deep chested but not to the same extent. I just wanted to make sure you realized that most of the dogs doing this already have a "sit pretty," so I didn't want you to think you had plateaued just because it was taking longer to build up duration.

Also, here is where I am with Boone now:

I decided to switch him to hugging it to him instead of holding it out since that will work better with a wider variety of objects. So this session was spent trying to ease it towards him without him backing away like he had been.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffStuff View Post
Yeah, I thought you were doing great!

Also, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm telling you what to do... I've never trained a dog with that kind of build. Boone is long and deep chested but not to the same extent. I just wanted to make sure you realized that most of the dogs doing this already have a "sit pretty," so I didn't want you to think you had plateaued just because it was taking longer to build up duration.
No, I appreciate the suggestions. I have never tried to teach tricks like this to a greyhound. They are totally unsuited to it. Lol. But I want to try. I just thought maybe she should be progressing more. I've never taught this to any dog actually. It's all new!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
such sights to show you

Yea, sit pretty is a trick unto itself. It took Squash quite some time to get the strength and learn the balance. We're definitely going into this trick already knowing it or it would be a LOT harder.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
such sights to show you

Oh, man. When I first started watching Boone I was like OMG THAT IS MAISY. Including the starting to paw from across the room, lol. He looks really good!

I'm also trying to sneak the bat closer, and I tied a hand towel on the bat because I thought he might be more grabby with it. He was not pleased that I was more selective with my marking. I edited them all out but a couple of times he'd stare at me, stare at the treats, stare at me, stare at the treats....

Anyway, here we are. No videos of Pip and Maisy tonight because they're still pretty much getting comfortable with double-pawing the bat.