Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Me, too! I was asked once if I was Greek. Um, no.
People think I'm Spanish for some reason? (Not from Mexico, from Spain.)
I asked why once and it had something to do with my skin and hair, which is dark and curly.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
such sights to show you

My parental grandmother was extremely interested in genealogy (she even went and gave some guest talks at a local [to her, not me] community college once), and traced our family back to the 8th-9th century. We have these huge, long charts that she made.

That's the Norwegian side of the family, and it's funny the further back you get some of the descriptions... Occupations were noted when known and back far enough they are often listed as "Viking." (She allegedly traced us back to Harald Finehair but I suspect he had a lot of bastards spread over the countryside, so I won't be staking my claim anytime soon.)

Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
People think I'm Spanish for some reason? (Not from Mexico, from Spain.)
I asked why once and it had something to do with my skin and hair, which is dark and curly.
I think that is what it is with me, too. I have a friend that is half hispanic and people use to think that we were sisters.

Apparently I don't look "American" enough, because when people see that my name is Andrea they like to try to pronounce it "On-drea" or "On-dre-ah", not "AN-dre-ah". I have no idea why. But it happens enough that I respond to all three names. LOL

Old 01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I totally do want to live in rural Yorkshire one day, though.
Really? Where? I'm from Yorkshire born and bred.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm All Ears

I do think Americans probably have more interest in this stuff because there's such a mashup of people and cultures here. Also, a lot of the records aren't that great so it can be hard to really find out exactly what your ancestry is. For me it's just kind of interesting. I've had a lot of friends who were only a couple generations removed from immigrants so we 100% ____ or 50% ___ and 50% ____. Most sides of my family have been in the americas so long that kind of stuff has just been lost. Texan is a about as cultural as my family gets.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Really? Where? I'm from Yorkshire born and bred.
I don't know exactly, because I've never been there. I know it's dumb, because Yorkshire is really big and I've only fallen in love through photos and others' accounts of being there (and the book "Jame's Harriot's Yorkshire"), but I am determined to find someplace in the country and plop right down there.
Your profile says you live in Wales now, but you lived in Yorkshire a little bit ago, right? Either way when you'd post pics I'd 1) notice the beautiful dogs and 2) look at the amazing scenery.
I know I'm lame for loving a place I've never been. Oh, well.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, I don't think anybody has ever looked at my pasty white ass and red hair and thought I was Italian or anything exciting like that.

Our last name is supposed to mean something in German according to my aunt but I can't find anything to actually back that up, we're supposedly from Germany. I've also heard possibly French. The reality is we've all been here so long on both sides of my family I don't think anybody knows.

The more accurate answer is "the south." I've lived in Illinois my entire life and so has my dad, but his dad's family is from the south and my mom lived her early years in various southern states as they made their way up to Illinois. It's why I can say "y'all" effortlessly and a southern drawl ain't that far away either.

Cherokee is not that far back on either side, but diluted enough legally that I can't do the whole Cherokee camp stuff to pursue it as a heritage to get any financial aid or anything.

I've never heard anybody who was born and raised in America tell me they're "from" somewhere else. The answer to "where are you from" is a state, or a city. But discussions of heritage do come up as a point of interest.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

I ask people everyday what their ancestry of European decent is and I mostly get blank stares. Many people don't really seem to know or care. (It's required on death certificates)

I'm Danish & German...but I couldn't tell you percentages or anything.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 01-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Well, I don't think anybody has ever looked at my pasty white ass and red hair and thought I was Italian or anything exciting like that.
I'm surprised people think I look Spanish because I'm pale as hell with freckles.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Mutts to you

I consider myself American without any hyphens attached, although I will occasionally say I'm a Marylander. (Not real common at my workplace where most of the employees and their families have lived in this area of Missouri for generations AND THEY'RE ALL RELATED. It's scary sometimes... )

I like history so researching the family tree is fun, especially if you look up the history/lifestyle/political ideas of time/location for that particular family member. Sometimes it also explains why ancestors sometimes suddenly disappeared from the census rolls - mini-pandemics would hit various communities and wipe out families. A lot of libraries have back issues of newspapers on line, we've found a lot of information by looking at past issues of the Baltimore Sun (circa late 1800s to early 1900s).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey