Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 AM
retriever crazy

English, irish, french, german, polish, welsh, native american and scandinavian

D.O.B 11/27/10
D.O.B 08/09/12
Old 01-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Taxiderpy

My mom is half Maniot (from Greece), and the rest of her is a blend of German jew (Einsteins, Albert was a cousin) Swede, Irish, Welsh, Scottish and English.

My dad is half Peigan Blackfoot, and the rest is Irish and Scottish.

People always look at me and ask, "What ARE you?" My sister often gets asked if she's part Chinese, which is weird because she's 6'1" and has bright red hair. But then her eyes and eye set is apparently kind of Asian looking because of the Blackfoot or something?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 AM
Top Dog

My dad's side is pretty much 100% English!his parents were first generation Canadians.

My moms side is a mixture, bohemian, german, and English, her moms family has been traced back to 1400 something to some duke of some place lol. But her dad is a mystery,he was born in 1898 and died when she was six, so all they have to go on is his name and year of birth, which they traced to being born in Nova Scotia but that's about it.

In fact here is my moms cousin Bill looking for information on him
Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
My dad's side is pretty much 100% English!his parents were first generation Canadians.

My moms side is a mixture, bohemian, german, and English, her moms family has been traced back to 1400 something to some duke of some place lol. But her dad is a mystery,he was born in 1898 and died when she was six, so all they have to go on is his name and year of birth, which they traced to being born in Nova Scotia but that's about it.

In fact here is my moms cousin Bill looking for information on him
Just out of curiosity, what was mystery grandpa's name? I have a bunch of 1880's-1900's census by county for Nova Scotia because that's where my grandpa was born (Parish of Perth). I wonder if he or some of his family might be in it somewhere.

ETA: derpaderpaderp. It's Delancy Graham, right? Haha, I should read better before posting. Will check the paperwork for some Grahams.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 AM
Sport Model Pug

1/4 Japanese (Mission, BC internment), 1/4 Polish (WWII concentration camp), 1/4 Czechoslovakian (1st gen canadian), and the last 1/4 is a mix of scottish (macpherson) and welsh and british.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Duuuuude.

1/4 Mexican, 1/4 Swedish. Some Polish and English as well... maybe 1/4 each, or maybe there's more mixed in there, I'm not quite sure.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I am pretty much 95% German and 5% Dutch... but the dutch was wayyyy back.

I find it interesting, that Americans tend to be very obsessed (? wrong word maybe) with their heritage and everyone knows what portions what they are and no ever really says, I'm American when asked where they come from. For example:
A friend of mines great-great-grandparents are from Italy and Slowania. She neither speaks the language, nor has she ever been there. But when asked where she is from, she always answers Italy and Slowania... which is so odd to me, because SHE herself is not from there.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Errrr, English and Scottish

My maternal grandfather was from a tiny fishing village on the east coast of Scotland, but moved to Yorkshire and set up home with my maternal gran. My paternal family are English.

My dad has done some genealogy stuff and don't think it threw up any big surprises.

My other half is welsh and is convinced he's the true king of wales :P I feel like an honorary welsh sometimes lol

And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post

I find it interesting, that Americans tend to be very obsessed (? wrong word maybe) with their heritage and everyone knows what portions what they are and no ever really says, I'm American when asked where they come from. For example:
A friend of mines great-great-grandparents are from Italy and Slowania. She neither speaks the language, nor has she ever been there. But when asked where she is from, she always answers Italy and Slowania... which is so odd to me, because SHE herself is not from there.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

My mom's family is from France and Prussia, my dad's side from Scandinavia.

And, yes, also this. To me, there is a difference between saying "my family's ancestry is from [insert countries of choosing]" and to say "I AM [insert nationality of choosing]. I would never say that I am German and French. I was born in Germany, therefore I am German. Not 45% German, 25% French, 15% this, 8% this, and 7% that (how do people even get these crummy numbers?!).

I can't even count any anymore the times I have told people that I am from Germany only for them to happily exclaim "Oh, me too!" And then, when I continue the conversation in German, say that they can't speak it or have ever set a foot on German soil. But their great-grandparents were from Germany, that's why they like beer and sausages. It's in their blood.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
I am pretty much 95% German and 5% Dutch... but the dutch was wayyyy back.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Top Dog

We're supposedly 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Italian.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!