Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I need some Chazzers to move out to the boonies in AZ with me.
I'm trying!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

I hardly have any real life friends that have dogs, let alone even know what agility or dog sports are.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

The only person I've ever known outside of a show/class/forum in the "dog world" is one of my high school science teachers, who breeds and runs her Pharaoh Hounds in agility. Most of my friends in real life don't even have dogs, and those that do love them but aren't dog geeks.

I've actually found it a little annoying talking to my friends about dogs, because they are so full of misinformation that I just end up nodding and smiling (and trying not to roll my eyes) throughout the entire conversation. So I generally just avoid the topic of dogs altogether with them. I have one close friend who knows about my dog nerdiness, but only because he's my ride just about everywhere. We don't talk about dogs though - he's a cat person
Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Some of my school friends did dog or horse 4h, and I know a lot of people who hunt with dogs. One bear hunts with Plotts! But most hunters I know use the dog as a tool. The dog gets sent out for training, kenneled outside during the year, and deployed during hunting season.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I've actually found it a little annoying talking to my friends about dogs, because they are so full of misinformation that I just end up nodding and smiling (and trying not to roll my eyes) throughout the entire conversation. So I generally just avoid the topic of dogs altogether with them.
This. Well, nothing on this earth can make me shut up about dogs completely. BUT yes, it's awkward and I avoid it.
Like at Christmas my cousin brought over her gorgeous Great Pyr/Anatolian mix and we ended up talking a lot about dogs. Then she brought up she wanted to let Molly (her dog) have "just one litter" before being spayed. And that was the end of my enjoyment of our conversation.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Nope. I have some acquaintances that I see at trials/classes a good amount, but I don't think I compete enough to really talk that much with them about things other than what's going on at that trial/class that day. I'm hoping one day I will find a close-by dog sport nerd to befriend, though, because I would love to have someone to train/walk with regularly.

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
This. Well, nothing on this earth can make me shut up about dogs completely. BUT yes, it's awkward and I avoid it.
Like at Christmas my cousin brought over her gorgeous Great Pyr/Anatolian mix and we ended up talking a lot about dogs. Then she brought up she wanted to let Molly (her dog) have "just one litter" before being spayed. And that was the end of my enjoyment of our conversation.
I think the reason I'm on the forums so much is because I never can talk about dogs with friends in person! I actually had a good friend tell me a while back that she was surprised I liked dogs because I "look like [I] hated animals" She assured me that she didn't mean it "in a bad way", but I'm not sure how one hates animals in a good way? Or even looks like an animal hater?

And yeah, generally I don't get into arguments/disagreements with people about dog things, but when it's something like breeding, I usually sneak in some a disapproving opinion or a fact that will deter them. Like "oh wow, that'd be so cute! Except my friend's dog recently died when she had puppies, and it was really, really sad." Which isn't exactly true, but it gets the message across
Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think the reason I'm on the forums so much is because I never can talk about dogs with friends in person! I actually had a good friend tell me a while back that she was surprised I liked dogs because I "look like [I] hated animals" She assured me that she didn't mean it "in a bad way", but I'm not sure how one hates animals in a good way? Or even looks like an animal hater?

And yeah, generally I don't get into arguments/disagreements with people about dog things, but when it's something like breeding, I usually sneak in some a disapproving opinion or a fact that will deter them. Like "oh wow, that'd be so cute! Except my friend's dog recently died when she had puppies, and it was really, really sad." Which isn't exactly true, but it gets the message across
Lol, I'm this way too.

I've gotten a bit more open about my dog nerdiness than I used to, like I used to be paranoid I posted too much about my dog on FB, pictures, and such, and then I just got to a point where I don't care anymore. People can think I'm weird. Considering my FB gets flooded with photos of my high school graduating class having babies now.

And I've had convos before with people in regards to training dogs and such and I often just slyly put in my thoughts without being too overly passionate about it. Same with breeding. I'll do the same thing, and act like I know someone whose dog died while giving birth, even if I technically DON'T. But whenever people come up with the idea, I'll try to sway them. Some are just determined no matter what though and some aren't even worth talking to.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:

I've always known you couldn't stand animals. You TOTALLY look like one. It's your hair. You have animal hating hair.

Same here! In the threads about why you came to Chaz/dog forums most people talk about how they were looking for help with an issue and stumbled across it. I needed somewhere to talk about dogs all the time!

I've tried to be direct about the risk to the bitch and puppies but either they write me off as paranoid or get irritated, as gentle as I keep myself.
With my cousin I just sighed, because my grandma had just finished telling me about how she thought a dachshund got her dog pregnant and she was disappointed it didn't take. I was just too tired to manage to say anything. Especially since they wanted to breed Molly to a St. Bernard and someone tossed in that the litter would be a mix of "great breeds" and "great breeds" = lots of money.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'm trying!
Try harder.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

I seriously find it fascinating that the vast majority of people do nothing with their dogs. I don't get it. You got a dog to spend no time with it? I don't mean they neglect it and are never home (though I notice that a lot too) but when you suggest an activity ("why don't you try agility/flyball/hiking") they say "oh, I don't have time for that". I didn't say marry the sport... I said try a class or hike once a week.

And then there are the times at work when I say something like "puppy vaccines are important to protect her when she meets other dogs/socialization is really important for puppies/yes, it is possible your puppy could have picked up fleas at the clinic but he could have picked them up at the park/pet store/friend's house/on a walk" and they say "Oh no, I never take Fluffy anywhere other than the vet". Always really proud. And I'm thinking "wow, I wouldn't advertise that".

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017