Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm All Ears

I do think it's odd how many people are into horse sports but not dogs. The last trial we went to there was a horse show going on at the other arena. Several horse people came over to watch our show and they were astounded because they'd never even heard of agility or knew that anything like that existed.

I also forgot, but my aunt used to be involved in obedience and agility with her rottweiler and obedience, earthdog, and terrier racing with their JRT (the 16 year old one from the other thread). She did quite a bit of JRTCA stuff when her dog was young. Now she's just in quarter horse showing but we still talk agility some. We have very different training styles though so we mostly don't talk that or it'll end up in awkwardness.

My uncle (her husband) is a rancher so he's worked dogs on cows and he and my dad used to train bird dogs. He still hunts and has worked plotts and things like that recently. Nobody has pointers anymore. I also don't talk training styles with him, lol. They are very... Cesar Milan-esque. We had a big debate about Cesar a few years ago then it was kind of mutually decided just to not go there again.

My great uncle also breeds (or bred, I'm not sure he does anymore) working border collies. As he put it the 'non fancy' kinds. They weren't registered and had a lot of heeler in them, I think. But they worked that ranch.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Not a Border Collie

The only person I know, that I haven't met through dogs or dog sports, would be my friend's mom. She is a serious obedience competitor - owned the #1 Obedience Golden Retriever in Canada a few years go. There's a room in her house that has massive HIT ribbons all around the ceiling, as well as a ton of magazine covers and plaques on the walls!

I've run into the occasional person who does agility, but she's the only person I know quite well though. Although, our neighbour and new hay supplier's daughter does agility and flyball with her 2 Aussies. I haven't met her yet, but I'm hoping she'll be a good connection

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

No, not really. I can't say I can think of one person I've met outside of training and trials that seriously train their dogs for sport. Actually, I worked with a girl years ago that had a few shelties she showed confo and agility with, but that was in a boarding kennel too. My boss is starting to show interest in various activities, she's hoping to have her female Collie puppy shown, and would like to do agility and/or tracking. I have known people that have done basic ob classes, or a basic agility class, but I think it's more work than people realize to prepare a dog to being trial ready .

Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Nope, well I not that I know of anyway. The closest I've come was meeting my friends dog's puppy class teacher, she did rally-O with her corgi.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

No one. The closest I've gotten is one of the pharmacists took his golden to an obedience class. We talk dogs a lot but I easily amaze him with Chaz knowledge

DOGS CAN EAT RAW MEAT? WHAT?

To be fair, I'M not involved in dog sports. I'm trying to get started but I would be another 'just for fun' person. I don't think there is a large group of dog sporting people here. It's starting to grow, though!

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Because I didn't really get into dog prior to getting into dog sports, I'm not really sure I can separate the two. Now, of course, 80% of my social circle is dog sport people. I guess a few people I knew through horses before did agility or obedience, but they weren't close friends.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 PM
BusterLove

I know some Schutzhund peeps and a few agility peeps.
And I know a lot of people that work with dogs everyday either pet dog training/behaviour mod or training working dogs in various avenues.
I've only met most of these people in the last year or two and it is SO NICE having real life people that get it.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My one real life dog friend here is probably Watson's breeder, but she does mostly just conformation showing.

I am meeting some people when we hang out with the basenji club and when we go coursing, but I do not know anyone really well yet.

So most of what I would consider my dog friends are online.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Err. No. I know a lot of people who have dogs and love them, but dog crazy people who do sports and other activities, nope.
Whenever I think I've met someone I can be obsessed around (I got hopeful when I was meeting other volunteers at the shelter) I've been sadly mistaken. It sucks.
I need some Chazzers to move out to the boonies in AZ with me.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 AM
The Monster.

Before I got into dogs, there was a couple on my street who had a mini Aussie that did a bit of rally and had a neat bag of tricks and I used to think that they were the coolest! Now, looking back, I don't think they ever competed, and they only had ~20 tricks and they're significantly less impressive (they're still a lovely couple though). It's funny how your point of view can change as you improve, yourself.

I'd say a vast number of my friends are people I've met through my performance/demo group, so just about everyone is into dog stuff. Very few people are local, and most are 30mins - 2hrs away by car.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog