Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm All Ears

When I was a kid we knew the lady we got Trey from for years beforehand and she did sports with her shelties. Does that count?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
I guess once you are really into sports you make friends that way. I suppose I mean more so before you got heavily into sports and made friends at trials... just people you knew that had dogs... did ANY of them do sports?
A lot of the people that I was in training classes or went to the dog park with trialed, yes.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I guess once you are really into sports you make friends that way. I suppose I mean more so before you got heavily into sports and made friends at trials... just people you knew that had dogs... did ANY of them do sports?
No, not at first. I knew the odd person that showed dogs or had field retrievers etc but I had no interest.

First came the terrier trials and hunting, then I quickly and deeply became addicted to agility.

Now it is a life style.

I would have to say it is rare that I have friends that are not seriously into dogs or horses.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Well, yes, but I met most of them AT dog sport events...
Same here. I know quite a few people who do obedience/rally, agility, tracking, nosework and judge through where we train. Most I'd call acquaintances, and a few friends. I've also made a very very good friend from there.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
I suppose I mean more so before you got heavily into sports and made friends at trials... just people you knew that had dogs... did ANY of them do sports?
Yeah I have a friend that does some IPO and is starting SAR, some folks I know that did/do competition obedience, a fair number of hunting and and herding people (both real work and sport). One coworker that does conformation quite a bit.

Granted I know a lot more now and some of those people were met after I got heavily into sports but I met them totally separately.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Nope. Granted that was 7, maybe 8 years ago now. But we had some friends that had a dog, maybe two. Friends that didn't. Friends that had A cat.

Now through classes and events and what not - that vast, vast, vast majority of our friends (in real life) are total dog geeks.

Having a bunch of fellow dog nerd friends does make things easier. Our friend with 5 doesn't blink when we come down for the weekend with 4 of ours. Heck she has multiple crates in her guest bedroom!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
orange iguanas.

Oh gosh no. To put it this way, I 100% consider myself an "average dog owner," and yet I still do much more with my dogs than basically any other person I know.

I'm impressed if I meet someone who even knows what agility is.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm friendly with people who I train with, but I wouldn't say they are friends at this point. I don't go to dinner with them or over to their houses, but I enjoy talking to them and hanging out at doggy events. I'm friendly with a number of local-ish Welshie breeders too.

Among my regular friends, not a single one does any kind of dog sport or activity. I'm not sure if any have even take a basic obedience class, though the ones with dogs love them dearly. I can't even think of anyone I know, friend or not, who does dog sports or activities except a few people who have hunted with dogs.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Most of the dog people I know in "real life" are the people I work with at the shelter. But none of them to the extent that do other stuff with their dogs.

I know a few people from doing agility, but no one I'd rezlly go out and hang with.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Now that I've finally just decided to embrace my dog geek in front of my 'normal' friends, I've gotten a lot of questions from them. One coworker was really disappointed that our last trial was out so far away because he wanted to watch some of it. My one coworker has retired greyhounds and was familiar with agility and was asking me all kinds of questions at lunch.

A lot of times I'm trying to explain why I'm at 'dog training' so much. I'm pretty sure they just think my dogs have a lot of behavior issues and need lots of training.

I LOVE having dog people in real life to talk to that don't glaze over when you mention something dog-geeky.