Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Default Do you know sport people?

I'm curious. Here on Chaz we have this great global network of people who really live and breathe dogs. People who are involved with their dogs daily. Mostly, I'm interested in the number of people who participate in some sort of sport with their dogs.

It's kind of crazy to me because... well... honestly I do not know a single person outside of my agility classes who does sports with their dogs. I'm a vet and I have ONE client who participates actively in flyball with their 3 (soon to be 4 as they just got a puppy) dogs. None of my friends do anything with their dogs. No one I knew in my class did sports with their dogs. None of my coworkers do anything with their dogs.

So... do you know people in real life that also do agility/flyball/disc/obedience/whatever with their dogs?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

My closest group of friends are my sport friends. New England is a pretty big area for IPO, so I'm lucky to have met a lot of cool people.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Active Pup

A large number of my friends lure course or straight race with me and I know folks who do agility, rally, flyball, etc. But, I have many friends who do not do any dog sports at all, or even own dogs.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, yes, but I met most of them AT dog sport events... so I don't think that counts LOL.

As it turns out, I found out my best friend from high school's aunt is the trial secretary for an agility club about an hour or so away. I don't know if her aunt did agility when we were in high school or not, I never heard about it, or if it's just some weird/crazy coincidence!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

We have a pretty decent group around here that do straight racing and coursing with us! A local Ibizan does rally! We do straight racing, coursing and rally with ours! And after trying some agility demos with ours at our last show are going to be looking into that as well!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Well are we talking about outside of the agility folk? I consider them friends and yeah, a lot do all sorts of things with their dogs. I'm out there training with people 2 times a week most times. Confo, disc, a little flyball (I know flyball folk but they don't overlap too much), nosework, barnhunt, rally, therapy work, treibball, stock work, etc. I can't go to a dog trial around here without running into people I know. I went to an obedience trial and saw three agility people there that I had no idea did obedience.

Like work friends and old schoool friends and church, etc? I know a coworker who has a therapy dog they take to hospitals which was neat to find out.

I also had a really good high school friends' younger sister recently ask me about the agility schools in the area. I'm super stoked she might be training where I do. She's really sweet and I had no idea prior that she was really into dogs.

I also know people who hunt with dogs.

Also the one guy in my agility classes now is a friend of a coworker's and works at another company for my same industry. That was interesting finding that out too.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Nope, I don't. Okay, well ONE sort of/kind of ish. One of the dogs I used to dogsit for, I became friends with, and she started taking her Boston/Beagle mix to agility classes, but it was strictly 'just for fun'. She also just had a baby so it's on pause for the moment anyway.

I only can count on one hand the people I know in 'real life' besides family (as in not friends from the internet that I've met, dog park, or dog related activities lol) that are really 'into' their dogs (even though they don't do sports). But I mean into as in, I see them doing a lot with their dogs (outings, walks, parks, etc) and their dogs are really a big part of their family and not JUST a 'pet' that never leaves the house (not saying there's anything wrong with that, either).

But yeah.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

I've met the majority of my friends through dogs.

I met my boyfriend through my dog friends!

I can count on one hand the people I am friends with that either don't own a dog or aren't above average pet owners.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post

I can count on one hand the people I am friends with that either don't own a dog or aren't above average pet owners.
This. lol.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

I guess once you are really into sports you make friends that way. I suppose I mean more so before you got heavily into sports and made friends at trials... just people you knew that had dogs... did ANY of them do sports?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017