Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM
overdogged

5k went really really well yesterday. My goal was just to be able to run the whole thing, to not get all freaked and crazy and forget to breathe and get side-stitches and die.

I felt fantastic. I ran. I breathed. I listened to my music. I got faster every split. My official time was 26:04. I finished 8th out of the 68 people running (small 5k!), the first woman, and got a medal for being first woman in my age group.

Crazy. Just crazy.

My right calf was tight this morning, but that's the only after-effect I noticed. I am so happy with how I did, regardless of time.

I've never run exactly a 5k before. My training runs have all been a little bit more or a little bit less. So it is interesting to have an actual PB now.

And I am very happy with how I ate going into it. I'm struggling to recover from anorexia, and running has been held up and examined as "self-harm" but really it's the closest thing to meditation that I can manage.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 PM
dogstrong

You rock, Katie! Congrats

Went on a hike with Rick and Em, only about a mile, but pretty steep!

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I so need motivation. So so so need it. I didn't go to the gym last week and this week I've had "other things to do", too. Gah. I am GOING tomorrow. GOING.

In the meantime, I feel fat and unhappy with myself. I know it is just perception, because my physical shape hasn't changed and I'm hovering at the same weight as always, but blah.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Wookie Collie

Elegy, that is really inspiring. Amazing for you, well done! I'm aiming for my first 5K this summer.

I went up a weight level yesterday. 5lbs to 8lbs, which is like nothing, but oh man. My arms and chest HURT today. I'm starting to love that muscle soreness. Eager to keep moving up the ladder.

My boyfriend is super supportive and motivating, which is great since he's right next to me pressing 35lb weights.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I so need motivation. So so so need it. I didn't go to the gym last week and this week I've had "other things to do", too. Gah. I am GOING tomorrow. GOING.

In the meantime, I feel fat and unhappy with myself. I know it is just perception, because my physical shape hasn't changed and I'm hovering at the same weight as always, but blah.
You look great in photos! Haven't seen anything since your wedding, but you looked absolutely fine.

Second, commit to something. That's what I did!

So here's my news: I just started Crossfit. I spent march searching for a facility I liked, and missed all the intro classes in April. Just finished two of the intro classes, and this is the hardest thing I've ever done. I hurt in places I didn't know I could hurt. Its awesome. Super intense workouts and it works everything.. With direction and attention to form.

I paid a lot more for it than I could with a free gym membership from work, but it gives me the direction I needed, and paying for it gives me the reason to show up and DO it. If not, that's money down the drain.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
dogstrong

I'm having a super hard time remembering what food I actually like to eat?? I was eating pretty much exclusively pasta and potatoes in WA because that's what we could afford.

Everything at the grocery store looks so foreign. My grocery list is just "salad making stuff".

Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
You look great in photos! Haven't seen anything since your wedding, but you looked absolutely fine.

So here's my news: I just started Crossfit. I spent march searching for a facility I liked, and missed all the intro classes in April. Just finished two of the intro classes, and this is the hardest thing I've ever done. I hurt in places I didn't know I could hurt. Its awesome. Super intense workouts and it works everything.. With direction and attention to form.

I paid a lot more for it than I could with a free gym membership from work, but it gives me the direction I needed, and paying for it gives me the reason to show up and DO it. If not, that's money down the drain.
Keep us posted on Crossfit! My cousin is super into it (her hubby too) and they're Crossfit lifestylers at this point. Paleo all the way, going to regionals, etc. and it sounds like it does wonders for you.

I did my first proper "run" of the season this afternoon. Holy ever living h*ll. I didn't realize my muscles had atrophied so badly. Need to build up my endurance from ground zero. Ow. Also, perhaps invest in a indoor running track next winter.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 PM
dogstrong

My obgyn wants me to get a blood draw to check out my thyroid. It's giving me a lot of anxiety, has anyone had thyroid issues before?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

Now that I have a job and know my schedule, I'm going to hit the gym on my off days. Once I get into the habit, I hope to make it stick! It's just getting into the habit that sucks. Lol

And thanks. I know I'm not overweight, but I'm the heaviest now that I've ever been (creeping up past 145 now). That coupled with being completely out of shape just makes me feel bleh, especially when I've spent the day doing nothing. I'm making a point now to stop focusing on the scale and start focusing on my body. I do that with the dogs, don't know why I wouldn't do it with myself. LOL

Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Highbread Dingbat

Had a great run/walk (thank you distracted dogs), just over 9km in slightly over an hour. LOVING the new place with all the trails to explore.

We've got a 5k coming up the first weekend of June, I am hoping to beat my time from last year which I think was 28 minutes. Working on building endurance and pacing myself over the next couple weeks.

It feels so great to get out running again!