Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Club Terrible - President

Congrats, SoCrafty! I would up your calorie intake, 1250 really isn't enough for anyone long term.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCrafty View Post
I re-downloaded my app (Lose It). The first couple of days, I had no problems going from like 2400 calories a day to 1250, but yesterday and today I'm struggling. I'm exercising daily (somewhat moderate to intense) and I think that is the issue. Am I not taking enough calories per day? You earn calories when you exercise with the app, but I still don't know if its enough.
Holy balls 1250 is very very little!
Here's a very good calculator:
http://www.health-calc.com/diet/ener...iture-advanced

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Lifting/weights question:

I have now lifted like...4 times? And I'm having a difficult time gauging how much/how fatigued I should be. Mainly with my arms. I have like NO upper body strength, at all.

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine that I use. There are some that I can do that and definitely feel the muscles being used, and really struggle to get the last set out, and I feel like that is how it should be? For some though, I honestly can't finish all 3 sets. On those ones, should I lessen the reps and keep the weight up? Or should I put less weight on it and complete all 3 sets?

Thanks in advance!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Show Dog

Thank you Fran, Beanie and Julie! I THOUGHT that wasn't enough. I will definitely check out the calculators you posted. I was using lose it to track my weight, what I was eating and my exercise. I had success with it a long time ago, but I was doing 1800 calories I think.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Lifting/weights question:

I have now lifted like...4 times? And I'm having a difficult time gauging how much/how fatigued I should be. Mainly with my arms. I have like NO upper body strength, at all.

I've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine that I use. There are some that I can do that and definitely feel the muscles being used, and really struggle to get the last set out, and I feel like that is how it should be? For some though, I honestly can't finish all 3 sets. On those ones, should I lessen the reps and keep the weight up? Or should I put less weight on it and complete all 3 sets?

Thanks in advance!
This is not entirely true, but for the purposes of our discussion, when your muscles are fatigued, that's when you get muscle growth and strength gains. Working to failure is not necessary (although sometimes it's kind of amusing to get stuck in muscle failure. Hm. I cannot get out of this squat. WELP.) but when you're specifically in the weight room, you should be looking for fatigue.

Also note that some bodybuilders call "fatigue" and "failure" the same thing... here I define fatigue as more the warning sign that failure is coming, whereas failure is... actual failure. Say you're doing tricep dips off a bench and your arms give way and your butt hits the ground. Failure.

It's kind of hard to explain how much weight, because it's based on feeling. There is no easy answer, you just have to play with it to figure out what's right and what's too much. You should be lifting a weight that is heavy enough that your last few reps are a struggle BUT you can still complete them WITH GOOD FORM. In other words, your thinking is on track, you should be struggling to complete a set - the key is really how your form is despite how you feel; can you maintain good form even though you're feeling physical struggle? Because you can force your way through some additional reps with crappy form, but that's not helping you and is inviting injury.
If you can't finish with good form, you need lower weight. OTOH if you're not feeling that struggle at the end, you need more weight.

I hope that helps, it's really hard to "describe" since it's mostly based on achieving a feeling! =P I think you've got the right mindset though. Just pay attention to how your form is doing and adjust from there.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

I typically stop when I fail. Often I can't finish my sets either. Make sure to give yourself a minute between sets though.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
This is not entirely true, but for the purposes of our discussion, when your muscles are fatigued, that's when you get muscle growth and strength gains. Working to failure is not necessary (although sometimes it's kind of amusing to get stuck in muscle failure. Hm. I cannot get out of this squat. WELP.) but when you're specifically in the weight room, you should be looking for fatigue.

Also note that some bodybuilders call "fatigue" and "failure" the same thing... here I define fatigue as more the warning sign that failure is coming, whereas failure is... actual failure. Say you're doing tricep dips off a bench and your arms give way and your butt hits the ground. Failure.

It's kind of hard to explain how much weight, because it's based on feeling. There is no easy answer, you just have to play with it to figure out what's right and what's too much. You should be lifting a weight that is heavy enough that your last few reps are a struggle BUT you can still complete them WITH GOOD FORM. In other words, your thinking is on track, you should be struggling to complete a set - the key is really how your form is despite how you feel; can you maintain good form even though you're feeling physical struggle? Because you can force your way through some additional reps with crappy form, but that's not helping you and is inviting injury.
If you can't finish with good form, you need lower weight. OTOH if you're not feeling that struggle at the end, you need more weight.

I hope that helps, it's really hard to "describe" since it's mostly based on achieving a feeling! =P I think you've got the right mindset though. Just pay attention to how your form is doing and adjust from there.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Twin 2.0

I hate Second Day. I'm gimping around the dealership because of Wednesday's Leg Day.

And yet, I sadistically love it all the same because PROGRESS.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Really pushed myself on weights last night, and killed W2D2 today.

I feel awesome. WHY DIDN'T I JOIN A GYM EARLIER!!

Also, I have been having way less headaches, and my stress level has gone down, despite this/next week being finals.

Again, WHY DIDN'T I JOIN A GYM EARLIER?!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Club Terrible - President

YAAAY PWC!

5 mile hike today.