Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Twin 2.0

Went snowboarding from 9:45am until 3pm with a 30 min break for lunch (that was two slices of pizza and a mug of amber beer SO HEALTHY). My legs are KILLING ME.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
I will have to see what I can find! I haven't had a general health exam in about 2 years. Will I need one of those first or can I see a sports doc without?

Since getting "out" of horses/regular riding/barn chores, I've lost most of my strength and fitness. Equine activity was definitely a physical exercise crutch for me. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that my core was very weak, but I agree that a checkup is in order. Would a physical therapist offer something similar or is that normally the next step?

PS- Beanie, move here and be my personal trainer?
You wouldn't need a general checkup before seeing a sports doc, and I'd personally skip straight to a sports doc... since you're talking in terms of exercise specifically, not just general pain, I would seek out their advice. There are certainly general practitioners who would be skilled enough, but doctors with a specialty in sports medicine will just be getting straight to the point. My GP is a runner, so I went to see him the last time I had a running related injury because I knew he would get me when I told him "it's four weeks to the half-marathon and it hurts," but if I hadn't known he was a runner I would have gone to a sports medicine clinic here.

If you don't need a referral from a doctor to a PT (some states/insurances require you go to a doc first) you definitely could go straight there. The only reason I suggested sports doc first is because a PT is (usually) not a PhD and technically can't diagnose most things. Also rarely do they have access to x-ray/MRI equipment should you need it, so they'd refer you back to a doc if they felt it was necessary. X-rays can also sometimes give extra information to a PT, but it's not required.
For my running injury, I went to my doc first because I thought for sure he was going to want to order an MRI. He didn't, but he did prescribe me a short round of steroids and recommend me a PT who was also a runner (we like to stick together, you see, LOL.) Honestly, you could probably go either way... the sports medicine clinic here is actually mostly staffed by PTs and OTs and they handle most of their clients.

I'm not personal trainer certified so I can't LOL.
I've thought about it before though. There's a program at the local community college and it's only a year. But I can't afford it and the only financial aid I qualify for is a loan... which I am not on board for debt. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
You wouldn't need a general checkup before seeing a sports doc, and I'd personally skip straight to a sports doc... since you're talking in terms of exercise specifically, not just general pain, I would seek out their advice. There are certainly general practitioners who would be skilled enough, but doctors with a specialty in sports medicine will just be getting straight to the point. My GP is a runner, so I went to see him the last time I had a running related injury because I knew he would get me when I told him "it's four weeks to the half-marathon and it hurts," but if I hadn't known he was a runner I would have gone to a sports medicine clinic here.

If you don't need a referral from a doctor to a PT (some states/insurances require you go to a doc first) you definitely could go straight there. The only reason I suggested sports doc first is because a PT is (usually) not a PhD and technically can't diagnose most things. Also rarely do they have access to x-ray/MRI equipment should you need it, so they'd refer you back to a doc if they felt it was necessary. X-rays can also sometimes give extra information to a PT, but it's not required.
For my running injury, I went to my doc first because I thought for sure he was going to want to order an MRI. He didn't, but he did prescribe me a short round of steroids and recommend me a PT who was also a runner (we like to stick together, you see, LOL.) Honestly, you could probably go either way... the sports medicine clinic here is actually mostly staffed by PTs and OTs and they handle most of their clients.

I'm not personal trainer certified so I can't LOL.
I've thought about it before though. There's a program at the local community college and it's only a year. But I can't afford it and the only financial aid I qualify for is a loan... which I am not on board for debt. =P
Awesome thanks for the advice!

If you get the chance you should! Sounds like something you would enjoy.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Twin 2.0

Beanie, is there a 24 hour Fitness near you? They train personal trainers in-house. I've been contemplating a similar move for something new.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Beanie, is there a 24 hour Fitness near you? They train personal trainers in-house. I've been contemplating a similar move for something new.
Nope, we've got a Golds and a Planet Fitness, and of course YMCA, my gym, and a few other private ones. My gym offers a program, but it's expensive. I think they reimburse you half the price once you get certified if you come work for them, but I'm not sure.
The program at the college is basically to get you prepared for a degree in kinesiology... it has anatomy courses (though without the cadaver lab requirement) and nutrition courses, and then your second semester gets you in the gym actually working with clients. Then when you're done you are prepared to take the NSCA-CPT exam. I'd rather go that route than just do the "this is how you train people" like what the gym offers, I'm so interested in the actual kinesiology.

It wouldn't be a huge deal, it's only three courses per semester, but I just don't have spare cash to throw at it right now. I know I'd enjoy it but life doesn't always afford us the ability to do what we like. Case in point... I'm still down in the community college's system as being in the vet tech program. Sigh.

The other problem is, they're daytime classes only. ;P So. I'd have to quit my job or something.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Aware

So many things I take for granted when I can afford to eat properly.

Energy.
Pleasant trips to the bathroom.
No acid reflux.
My hair doesn't shed nearly as much.
No zits.
Shorter, lighter, less crampy periods.
No upset stomach.

If I'm not home by April I'm going to start walking back.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Twin 2.0

Sure, why not go to the gym at 9:30pm and destroy my shoulders, bis and tris? Sounds like a great plan.

...still waiting on that "mood-boosting endorphin rush".
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Vizsla mom

My mom comes to all my road races.. she missed Disney& she missed this last one. So sad because Penn ran the half with me this time& I have 0 photos of it
Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Does anyone have any info on caloric intake? I see different things everywhere I look. 1200 a day, 1500 a day, 2000 a day, eat back what you exercise, don't eat back what you exercise, this and that and this and that.

It is really, REALLY hard for me to eat 1200 a day, and even harder to eat back what I exercise. I feel full on about 1000 a day, and eating back what I exercise just makes me feel unhealthy.

Help?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Everyone's caloric intake needs are going to be different, but don't just fixate on a number. Eat quality over quantity. If you're eating just to eat, that's not the right way to do it. And if you're hungry (not "bored hungry", I mean hungry), eat. Don't stress yourself out over having an apple because that's 100 more calories than you were planning on.

As for the number of calories - are you sure of what you're eating or are you guessing? Once I stared writing it all down and tracking everything, it was eye-opening.

What worked for me was being very, very regimented. I measured out my morning cereal, milk, juice, etc. I weighed any snacks (fruits and vegetables) and used measuring cups and a scale for dinner. When eating out, I'd stick to chains and other restaurants that publish their menus online with nutritional information. I tracked it all with the sparkpeople app and it kept up to date as I went. I've not been as diligent on that front the last couple of months and it shows. I've put a few pounds back on and I don't feel exactly right. I did get out for a run the other day and it felt great, so I'm really looking forward to a break in the weather. I don't mind running in sub-freezing temperatures, but we've had so much snow and ice, there aren't many places to run where there aren't huge mounds of snow and/or dangerous conditions on the sidewalks.