Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Wookie Collie

Dudes and dudettes, a question!

Today's ice skating was a bit of a fail. Last weekend I experienced some lower back pain while skating, and this weekend it flared up to the point of excruciating before I even hit the halfway mark in one direction. I guess it was still aggravated from last week, but it was still frustrating.

My legs and feet were perfectly fine, even with some fancy moves on the ice. I've been getting pretty fit... except for my core.

So, I need good suggestions for strengthening my lower back and gut, that aren't too harsh like straight-up situps or leg lifts. My core is so weak that I need to build it up slowly.

Ideas? Can't help but feel pretty frustrated after today, which I want to convert to motivation.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Forget the situps and crunches, they're not really that superior for ab strengthening anyway.

Straight up number one: planks, and any/all variations thereof. I pinned this ages ago when my main goal was to increase the length of time I could hold a plank... ignore the crunches and sit-ups and just worry about the planks, although the push-ups will help.

Planks are easier to do from your hands and harder from your elbows, so if elbows are too hard, start up on your hands. Just keep your body perfectly straight... no high butt and don't drop your hips down either.

Side-planks too.

Hip bridge. You can do this with weight on your lap too to make it harder.

Leg rotation. Lie on your back, lift the legs up. Either straight or knees bent at 90 (straight will be harder.) Make sure your lower back stays on the floor, rotate both legs to one side. Rotate them slowly down as far as you can without your lower back pulling off the floor and/or feeling any pain. For a bonus, take the legs not QUITE all the way to the floor and hold them there, just off the floor. Come back to center, then rotate down to the other side.

Plate twists. Start with low weight (or no weight), back fairly straight, legs low to the ground. And as you get stronger, lift your legs off the ground more, lean your upper body back further, and increase weight.

Deadlifts. Great for core and lower back both.

I'm clearly biased because I love them, but burpees are a great cardio burst core (and more) strengthening exercise. Plyometrics too, tuck jumps or box jumps if you're feeling ballsy, side-to-side jumps, jump lunges. Especially if you're wanting core strength for some kind of agility or endurance work.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm trying to develop your love of burpees, Beanie, LOL. So far I'm in the "these are a lot more fun than just static exercises but OH MY GOD I CAN'T BREATHE". I can do about 10 and then have to pant, er, rest, for about a minute afterwards.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Puppy Dog

Burpees are like, my all-time least favourite exercise. Thanks for posting that calendar though - I've been looking for something like this!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I'm trying to develop your love of burpees, Beanie, LOL. So far I'm in the "these are a lot more fun than just static exercises but OH MY GOD I CAN'T BREATHE". I can do about 10 and then have to pant, er, rest, for about a minute afterwards.
It's a crazy person's love LOL. Last week I went to the gym in my new YAY BURPEES socks and everybody was commenting on them. One lady said "oh, you're YAY BURPEES and I'm NAY BURPEES!" I told her I would do her burpees for her, haha.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Wookie Collie

Thanks Beanie!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Straight up number one: planks, and any/all variations thereof.
I just started doing a modified side plank in PT and I can def tell they will work to help with core strength (which is the point - trying to maintain strength everywhere while rehabbing my ankle). I'm kind of loving the fact that I'm getting some core and leg strength exercises as part of PT since I'll be able to use them to maintain even after my ankle is healed.

Today, I did a hip bridge with leg extension (3 sets of 10 on each leg), a clam exercise in modified side plank (3 sets of 15 on each side), and leg lifts with weight on my ankles (3 sets of 10 on each leg) in addition to all of my ankle stuff. I also got upped to a stronger theraband for ankle stuffs and 500 more steps/day - suuuuper happy!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Obey the Toad.

I just started doing My Fitness Pal--does anyone else do it?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Club Terrible - President

I had stopped wearing my only pair of jeans because they fit just a little too snugly. Put them on today, perfect.

Yeeees. My ass looks fabulous in these.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I just started doing My Fitness Pal--does anyone else do it?
I used to use My Fitness Pal, but I like the food tracker on Spark People better, so I switched. I like Spark People better because I can input my own recipes into the recipe calculator and is automatically saves them so I can access them from the calorie counter, instead of having to transfer the information manually. We mostly cook at home, so that made a huge difference. The fitness tracker on My Fitness Pal is better though.

I other news... I did ten full-on, no-wuss push-ups today. Push-ups are my exercise arch-nemesis. No matter how much I work on them, I never seen to get any better at them. But that changes now!