Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Very Food Agressive

Default Smoothies?

Since moving to the NoVa/DC area and working from home, I've started putting on weight and it annoys me. Boyfriend and I are starting to eat healthier to combat the bulge and have decided to do smoothies for breakfast (he has a magic bullet blender, the name makes me giggle).

Today is day four of smoothies for breakfast and the made up recipe I did came out weird and pudding-like in consistency so I figured I'd ask for people's favorite healthy smoothie recipes!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Well smoothies can be healthy or very unhealthy depending on what you put in them really. I don't do them much, but when I do I put ice cubes, some protein powder, almond milk and frozen fruit. You can add spinach or kale for extra nutrients too (mine doesn't blend well enough for that), and chia or other kinds of seeds.

But yeah, they don't fill me up much so I don't do them much, lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Club Terrible - President

I make little packs and stick them in the freezer. Usually something like this:

1/3c peaches
1/2c mixed berries
1/2c kale

Blend with 1.5-2c water. I like really watered down smoothies, personally.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

My smoothies aren't as tasty as others, and probably won't mix well in a bullet. I use whole milk organic kefir, a handful of almonds, scoop of chia seeds, scoop of hemp seeds, Tablespoon scoop of coconut oil and frozen (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, cranberry) whatever I have and in any combination. Then I thin it with coconut or almond milk or regular organic whole if I have it. It takes a pretty heavy duty blender to get those nuts chopped to smoothie status or it's chunky which most don't seem to like. It's not a real sweet smoothie, which is my goal, but some don't really like it.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Very Food Agressive

Aiming for healthier smoothies to help cut down on fatty snack foods and whatnot.

This morning's was good but I think I put too much banana in it.

1/2 c mixed frozen berries
1 tbs protein
1 ts flax seeds
1 whole banana
~1 c coconut milk

Turned out tasty but again, weird pudding-like consistency. The smoothies the rest of this week have had kale in them but we got the wrong kind of frozen kale so the stringy stems are in there and I was too lazy to pick them out this morning. Plan is to get fresh kale/spinach for next week.

The nice thing is that if I don't finish my morning smoothie, I can have the rest for a snack later!

I don't know if the bullet would be able to handle nuts for smoothies though the concept is interesting. Could go for something like almond butter which is pre-ground and see if that works. I found three weeks of smoothie recipes plus shopping lists so we're going to try following those starting Monday!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Club Terrible - President

If they are too thick, cut them with more liquid!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Wookie Collie

I have a smoothie almost every morning. Only time I shake it up is for the boyfriend's homemade granola, which is also delish. I've been working out hard these days so I need a power drink in the mornings. I hate eating in the morning before work, LOL.

Lately, my regular smoothie involves:
  • about 1/2 cup frozen fruit (I change varieties)
  • a whole banana
  • squirt of aloe vera gel
  • 1/4 cup of whey protein isolate
  • tablespoon each of chia seed, hemp seed and spirulina
  • two spoonfuls of nonfat yogurt or plain kefir
  • a handful of either spinach or kale (BF and I switch it up regularly for his sandwiches & my smoothies)
  • and to liquify it, mostly organic skim milk and sometimes a dash of fruit juice if we have some handy.

I switch up ingredients every so often too, but that's my basic everyday smoothie. I have one of these blenders, so the smoothie cups are nice and big which keeps me going until lunch.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Very Food Agressive

I added more liquid but it seemed to get absorbed. I wasn't too bothered by it, I'll finish the little bit left as a snack later. The protein was a first today since we just bought it yesterday and that definitely helped fill me up! I like to think that the flax will give me a shiny coat

Where do you guys get your additives like chia seeds and spirulina? We got our protein from Trader Joes and they probably have other things but I wasn't there to check it out when bf picked up the protein. Does anyone else use flax but in ground form? Aloe gel, I keep thinking of the stuff I have for my sunburns but I doubt that's edible, suggests for that?

Yay smoothies!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Top Dog

I just go to the vitaminshoppe and use raw eggs for a cheaper and better protein I figured I wouldn't even bother adding that in my initial post, most don't want it
Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I added more liquid but it seemed to get absorbed. I wasn't too bothered by it, I'll finish the little bit left as a snack later. The protein was a first today since we just bought it yesterday and that definitely helped fill me up! I like to think that the flax will give me a shiny coat

Where do you guys get your additives like chia seeds and spirulina? We got our protein from Trader Joes and they probably have other things but I wasn't there to check it out when bf picked up the protein. Does anyone else use flax but in ground form? Aloe gel, I keep thinking of the stuff I have for my sunburns but I doubt that's edible, suggests for that?

Yay smoothies!
I get all of my smoothie additive stuff from Bulk Barn. Bulk Barn is a magical store that has a ton of stuff in bulk, including a bunch of natural health products like whey protein, spirulina, chia seed, etc so I can buy it all at a better price than health food stores. They also have packaged/bottled stuff like the aloe vera gel.

But it's Canadian only, so I'm not much help. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014