Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-17-2014, 10:10 PM
On second thought...

Default Will horse fencing keep dogs in?

Like this stuff... http://www.homedepot.com/p/FARMGARD-...312B/202025616

We're sort of trying to put up a fence on a budget, since right now we let the dogs out one at a time on a long line to go potty. Having a fence would be nice because we could have the dogs out at the same time and just general off-leash fun stuff!

My mum saw a yard with this type of fencing (although shorter, and with smaller holes), I'm just not sure if it will hold up to our dogs. I've never actually seen horse fencing, so I don't know if it's sturdy or not.

I don't think my dogs will be very motivated to get out, plus they won't be unsupervised. The yard is surrounded by our home on one side, woods on two sides, and the neighbor's back yard on the remaining side (which they almost never use). So fortunately I don't have to worry about pedestrians or bicyclists, etc.

But Duncan is 100lbs and I can easily imagine him standing up and putting his paws on it should he see something interesting on the other side, and I'm afraid it will come tumbling down.

Chainlink would be our next option, but it's around twice the cost of this so we're torn. Anyone have any experience with this type of fencing?

Thanks!

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 AM
*Biter*

It really depends on *how* you install it and, more importantly, how much your dogs respect boundaries. Most of my Danes could be kept contained by anything so long as it was visible. They did not test their boundaries. Corvus, on the other hand, will get out of a solid six foot concrete wall.

I would personally reinforce it so it with wood so it doesn't just sag and give when a dog leans or pushes against it. Kind of like this.. http://milescityacehardware.com/diy/...ls-fence-1.jpg

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post

I would personally reinforce it so it with wood so it doesn't just sag and give when a dog leans or pushes against it. Kind of like this.. http://milescityacehardware.com/diy/...ls-fence-1.jpg
This. If there is some type of reenforcement (I've really only ever seen it done with wood) it will be strong.

However I know people who have it up like this:

I would be a little afraid that it wouldn't hold up but that's up to you. It may be just fine and would definitely be cheaper. My only worry is possibly them trying to get under it?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 AM
<----Thanks Allie

The dog park uses that type of fence, but reinforced with wood like SFD posted. Like she said, if you have a fairly respectful dog it can work.

As far as the dog jumping on it. After a while(a couple years) of repeated pressure I noticed the metal started to get warped and in some places actually break. If your dog has certain spots they like to stand on you could add an extra wood reinforcement to those spots.

But, end of the day Chain Link is the best way to go. If you can afford to put chain link up and this is your perm house, that's what I would do. Build it right, build it once.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've seen that kind of fencing used multiple times and have never seen an issue with it. As long as your dog's aren't escape artists and it is properly maintained it should work out just fine.

That being said, it tends to stop looking pretty after awhile and sagging is an issue if it isn't put up properly. My parents have that kind of fencing around their 1/4 acre garden and after almost two decades of fence neglect...let's just say it doesn't keep out much.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Mutts to you

We've used 4' woven wire hog fence (graduated openings) around the pasture (40 acres) and dog yard (3 acres), with added wire above to keep the horses from squashing it by leaning over it (the grass IS greener on the other side). We put in wooden posts (old telephone poles - 2 with a cross piece) every 100' for reinforcement and you have to make sure you stretch the fence TIGHT when putting it up.

It's worked pretty well for almost 20 years but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the closely woven anti-climb horse wire (diamond shape openings) so horses couldn't get their hooves on it (we have a horse that likes to paw) and dogs couldn't get their heads through the larger openings. I like woven better than welded, which can break apart if you have a persistent horse (or dog) battering it.

I don't have any jumpers (dogs or horses) but Mick is a climber and, after nearly ten years, he decided to climb out of the dog yard last summer. Took awhile to find his favorite climbing spots but an electric wire running along the top put an end to his escapes. We're rural, though, so no one objects to electric fencing like they might in a more suburban area.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I have a small area of the yard fenced off with that welded wire fence (horse fence) and t-posts. it works well.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

That is what was up on one side of my yard when I bought my house, installed like Dixie's Mom posted. The only dog who got to go over there before I replaced it was Auggie, and even he was on a long lead. I didn't trust it at all. Tearing it down was one of the very first things I did and putting the new wood privacy fence up came shortly after.

I agree with pae though... if you're going to invest money in a fence, invest in what you ultimately really want. Chain link would have been cheaper than the wooden privacy fence I built (and would have gone up faster!) but I really wanted the wooden privacy fence. So I dished out for what I really wanted.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
We put in wooden posts (old telephone poles - 2 with a cross piece) every 100' for reinforcement and you have to make sure you stretch the fence TIGHT when putting it up.
A bit off topic but how do you usually tension it? I've found that whenever I tension wire (usually using a bar and a cinch) it distorts it and/or breaks the welds.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Jerk.

Why not use a tether? I use an overhead run and each dog has a 6' tether to the link to the cable. 2 dogs, 1 overhead run, works rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin