Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 AM
such sights to show you

I think there can be a middle ground between "really stressful/high pay" and "more rewarding/crummy pay" and honestly I'm at a point in my life where I don't NEED to love what I do or for it to have a purpose. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to those things and I'm blessed to have them in my career - but even though I love it, it is stressful AND it doesn't pay that great. So I think I'd also be perfectly happy with a job where I went in, put in my time, and then went home and lived my life. (I suppose if I actually ever did that I'd get bored and miss it, though, lol.)

Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It's fine if people don't want to like their job. What irritates me is when people say it's impossible for anyone to love their job, and if they love it, they're doing it wrong. I LOVE what I do. It's that simple. Yeah, it's hard work and the pay sucks. But I'll take that over being miserable every day for the rest of my life - and honestly, if I'm going to be miserable every day, why bother living at all? I've been in jobs where I wished I'd have some sort of medical crisis or even just ****ing DIE so I could get out. No thanks.
I don't think anybody has said it's impossible to love your job. But I do think the overall opinion is that if you love your job, it probably pays ****-poor. It depends on the job, obviously. My friend's fiance is a carpenter. LOVES his job and even if he didn't do it for his every day work, he'd be doing it on the side for fun. And it pays very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I really thought money would stretch further than it does. I have a decently paying job and live in a low cost of living area but things add up like you wouldn't believe. It seems this year was month after month of being in the hole with unexpected things needing large sums of money. Which is why I'm still in my shitty townhouse instead of buying a home. Sigh.
Same here. Truthfully I can "live" on what I make now, which is the same as I was making when I worked in radio (and believe me, it really upsets me that I'm making the same amount of money and yet not getting to work in radio...) But I got a raise when I took this job and I was SO relieved because it meant all of a sudden things were going to get just a bit easier. Then our pay cut happened and now I'm right back to where I started. Panicking about how I'm going to pay my bills. Closely examining when each bill is due and when each pay day is so I can make sure I don't overdraft. Putting off going to the grocery store as long as humanly possible so I can at least feel like I have an extra $20 that week. Eating pretty much nothing but eggs and chicken stock for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thinking this might be what the rest of my life will look like is exactly why I keep considering how to kill myself.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I like the job I'm doing right now (front desk at a vet clinic) more than I have any previous job, though it can be quite stressful at times due to overly needy clients. However, I would never turn it into a career due to pay. I'd rather work all day at a job that I like, and have financial stability, than work at a job I love and stress about money constantly. Right now, I stress about money constantly and it sucks big ones.

Once I graduate I will hopefully have a job that I really enjoy, in an environment that I really enjoy, with pay that makes vacations/training classes/etc something I can enjoy rather than something I want to enjoy but just stress about financially instead.

I am really really looking forward to that

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I could not live on $25k here. $40k or less is considered poverty here and qualifies you for the free low income apartments in town. For a family of four, it's $60k.
It varies by area, we all know that. Starting pay for my industry in the Chicago area is $22/hour. It's the same job. Pay rate varies where cost of living varies and that's true of pretty much every industry.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't think anybody has said it's impossible to love your job. But I do think the overall opinion is that if you love your job, it probably pays ****-poor.
Not in so many words, no, but that's how it's sounding - and not just here on Chaz, it's all over.

I'm never going to apologize for loving my job and making do with the pay I get for doing it. It shouldn't be my "duty" to find the highest-paying job possible just because it's there, even if it sucks. I'm just so tired of everyone berating me for choosing this career path because the pay is modest. I'm not getting government assistance or anything like that even now while making $700 a month, so I don't see why it's anyone else's concern that I won't be making enough full time (again, not just here on Chaz, everywhere).
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Work to live, don't live to work.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Vizsla mom

My boyfriend is a carpenter ..loves it. Plus, he can come home& still build things after building things for other people all day. Works out well for me ..he'll build me shelves, hang photos, build agility equipment. He did, however, turn down a few automotive jobs. He prefers just doing custom work on the side for people. Got really sick of the mechanical part of it when he was doing it constantly.

I did photography& did really well ..was super busy. Ended up being burnt out& hating it. Stepped back into a different role, make a little less money but at the end of the day being a small business owner? So not worth it for me. I will always shoot on the side for people& I still down requests weekly. Still ..owning a small business is exhausting AND it took the joy out of capturing my own photos.

Moral of the story? Different strokes for different folks!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I'm just so tired of everyone berating me for choosing this career path because the pay is modest.
Yeah it gets pretty annoying always having people ask me "why didn't you just go all the way to vet school? You'd make more money." Because.... I don't want to be a vet? They make it sound like it's such a shame that I wasted my time/money on such a silly career. Like, I was never under the illusion that vet techs make a billion bucks so I certainly didn't choose this job for the money. It just appealed to me more than higher paying options. Yeah I work full time and still can't support myself, but knowing I don't hate my job, makes me not mind that so much... at least, not yet.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-03-2014, 11:43 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yeah it gets pretty annoying always having people ask me "why didn't you just go all the way to vet school? You'd make more money."
Next time burst out laughing until you cry, then ask "wait, were you serious?" and ask them if they know how much student debt vets graduate with these days.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Next time burst out laughing until you cry, then ask "wait, were you serious?" and ask them if they know how much student debt vets graduate with these days.
One of my vets named her amount of debt at graduation. I thought she was kidding. She was not.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.