Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

I've had both the "really stressful, really well paying" job (it consultant) and now the "more rewarding, crummy salary" job (middle school math teacher). There are plusses and minuses to both. I will say that I could not be a teacher if it weren't for my husband making decent money. The financial stress of a low paying job is something I couldn't handle. I generally enjoy what I do, but my true happiness comes from the things my salary affords me--traveling, agility trials, date nights, etc.

That said, as long as I can afford to do so, I'll stay teaching. It's definitely work, but it's work with a purpose which is something I personally need from a career.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That said, as long as I can afford to do so, I'll stay teaching. It's definitely work, but it's work with a purpose which is something I personally need from a career.
I think that's what it comes down to. Not everybody needs that from their job (and that's perfectly fine.)

There also is something to be said about having a job you love but the pay sucking. And when you can't pay your mortgage or buy groceries and stuff, well, that wears on you even when you love what you do. If the pay didn't suck for the industry as a whole, I'd definitely be doing what I could to get back into radio... but it's not practical. I still miss it every day.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think that's what it comes down to. Not everybody needs that from their job (and that's perfectly fine.)
Yeah, my husband doesn't need it at all. I'm a little envious of him, because he has so many high paying options out there that satisfy his mental needs. I have this "save the world" complex that really limits the types of jobs that are satisfying to me. My therapist will have a field day with me when we finally get to this topic.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah that whole paying rent/mortgage/bills thing totally sucks. Life is expensive. I have a decent salary and I'm not sure how I'd survive on much less. At the least I'd probably have to cut out all dog/hobby stuff.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Love what I do and I almost never feel like I'm working. I don't have the temperament for a typical 9-5 job, and I am definitely not the kind of person who can take having a boss. My job allows me to set my own hours, choose my own clients, build real relationships with them, and I love it.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I am not going to spend 7-9 hours a day unhappy and stressed and just living for the weekend/days off. I ****ing refuse.
I want this. The car industry does not afford this.

I'm just grateful that I love my coworkers, I LOVE the cars I'm selling, and I get an extra day off this month for the one I didn't take last month. Who knows when I'll get to take it with us being so under-staffed, but I will.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
It's fine if people don't want to like their job. What irritates me is when people say it's impossible for anyone to love their job, and if they love it, they're doing it wrong. I LOVE what I do. It's that simple. Yeah, it's hard work and the pay sucks. But I'll take that over being miserable every day for the rest of my life - and honestly, if I'm going to be miserable every day, why bother living at all? I've been in jobs where I wished I'd have some sort of medical crisis or even just ****ing DIE so I could get out. No thanks.

I'm fine making $25,000 a year (which is about what I can expect when I get a full time job in my field). That's nearly triple what I'm making now, so I'd really have nothing to complain about. I could live comfortably. I don't need a ton of fancy ****. If my parents raised 3 kids on $30,000 a year, I can live on my own for that amount.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
It's fine if people don't want to like their job.

I'm fine making $25,000 a year (which is about what I can expect when I get a full time job in my field). That's nearly triple what I'm making now, so I'd really have nothing to complain about.
I think most people want to like their job. The difference is that some jobs give you a warm fuzzy "I did something important today" feeling, and others, while mentally stimulating/enjoyable, don't have that level of purpose attached to them.

I could not live on $25k here. $40k or less is considered poverty here and qualifies you for the free low income apartments in town. For a family of four, it's $60k.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Funny enough I was just talking about this the other day with one of my coworkers.

I have mixed feelings about my job. I make $14 an hour which is nothing out here in Northern VA as Cali stated and while I do love working with dogs.... I'm sacrificing the feeling of financial stability in doing so. Luckily Josh makes decent money, but we still don't have a lot.

I'm actually at a point in my life where I'm unsure of what I want to do anymore. I want to be a dog trainer.... I want to work with dogs forever, but at the same time I feel completely overwhelmed so much of the time. When I have 70+ dogs barking in my ear all day it can be hard after a while to go home and want to deal with my own dogs. I can't tell you how many times I've come home in recent months where I've ended up having Josh feed and walk the dogs because I'm just so exhausted of dogs all day long. It sucks feeling that way.

On the other hand I do love some of the dogs at my work and if I left I would miss them something terrible so like I said.... Mixed feelings and all.

I think I'm at a point though where I am planning to start looking for another job. I would even be ok working full time somewhere else that pays more and then work small part time hours at the dog daycare, but I don't know if my boss would go for that.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm All Ears

I would love to eventually have a day job and then work a few hours on nights/weekends training. But I'm a ways from that and need to get more training work on my own dogs first.

I really thought money would stretch further than it does. I have a decently paying job and live in a low cost of living area but things add up like you wouldn't believe. It seems this year was month after month of being in the hole with unexpected things needing large sums of money. Which is why I'm still in my shitty townhouse instead of buying a home. Sigh.