Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Default Feeding wet food regularly.

I read somewhere that feeding wet food with kibble is a smart idea. I didn't look much more into it.

What does the Chaz peoples say?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

I like the added moisture (and likely more digestible) from adding canned or raw food to their diets.

I almost always add something moisture rich to their dry food.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I like the added moisture (and likely more digestible) from adding canned or raw food to their diets.

What percentage of their meals do you normally feed wet? Harlow and Rider didn't adjust well to raw and we don't have the freezer space atm.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Big Dog

I give the girls each 1/4 can of wet food each day. I do this mostly because they won't take thier (supposedly yummy flavored) supplements unless I mix them in with wet food. We've tried pill pockets, pieces of cheese, etc. and none of them worked (plus I didn't like adding cheese as a regular part of their diet).

I do feed my cat wet food for other reasons. My vet told me that cats in general don't drink enough, and male cats especially run the risk of urine crystals blocking the ureters. So it was recommended I add wet food to his daily diet to keep his moisture levels up. I'd imagine dogs could also get urine crystals, but my girls drink plenty of water so giving them wet food is just the path of least resistance for me.

One bonus though: the girls like to switch back and forth between their bowls when I fed kibble only. Now with a little wet food, they stick to their own bowls until finished which means they get all the supplements they are supposed to.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Bailey gets about 2oz per meal of canned.

Gabby was getting about 2oz of canned before I started doing raw with her.

Buzz gets a lot more raw than that, haha, because it's the main part of his diet.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Bailey gets about 2oz per meal of canned.

Gabby was getting about 2oz of canned before I started doing raw with her.

Buzz gets a lot more raw than that, haha, because it's the main part of his diet.
Good to know! Thanks!

I just don't want the guys to get fat. I'm not so worried about Harlow, she could use the extra weight. I could see her getting 3 cups still and a 1/4 can/day... but the ACD's? They get 1.5c of quality kibble/day. I'm thinking I would have to cut that back to 1 cup and then I don't know how much wet. I'm assuming cans would have feeding recommendations I could just scale down based on calories?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Good to know! Thanks!

I just don't want the guys to get fat. I'm not so worried about Harlow, she could use the extra weight. I could see her getting 3 cups still and a 1/4 can/day... but the ACD's? They get 1.5c of quality kibble/day. I'm thinking I would have to cut that back to 1 cup and then I don't know how much wet. I'm assuming cans would have feeding recommendations I could just scale down based on calories?
If you have an idea on the amount of calories you want to feed you can just do the math between kibble and wet.

When I do give my guys wet I mix water in with the wet and mix into a slurry before adding in dry food. Adds in a bit more water and it's hard for those picky dogs to go through and pick what they want. We do the same thing at work (though we add a bit more canned) so food is extra nummy to even the stressed out or sick dogs.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

This! Plus, it adds flavor and variety. I initially started adding canned and raw because Jack refused to eat his dry food plain, and then I started giving it to Missy as well, because why not, and then it just became routine.

Missy (75lbs) gets about 1 cup of dry food for each meal, and 2 oz of raw or a couple scoops (3-4 oz) canned. Jack and Heidi (25lbs) get 1/4 cup dry for each meal, and 1 oz of raw or a "scoop" (probably between 1-2 oz) of canned.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

I feed canned on occasion, but I ALWAYS add copious amounts of water to their kibble.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Hmm, good to know about the water thing! I'm not sure what they would think about sloppy food.

As far as doing partial raw, partial kibble, partial canned.. how much variety do you bring in? I don't have set foods they eat. I grab a bag of Canidae GF, Earthborne GF, Wellness Core, Acana, ect and try to mix up proteins so they aren't lacking in vits and minerals as well as mixture so they don't get bored. If I wanted to try some raw every now and then (maybe once or twice a week), would it be best to stick with boneless? Chicken and/or turkey or doesn't it matter?

They do get RMB's every few weeks and I've been known to feed raw chicken or goose or venison for treats, so raw isn't completely weird to them.

Also, do you tend to mix up proteins in the canned food? I feel like I'm thinking about this too much.